U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM

14,791 posts, read 18,931,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
I know chicago is famous for a few dishes (pizza, italian beef,etc) but what is Chicago cuisine?

I lived there but never heard of Chicago cuisine..
I meant dishes that it is famous for - every city has it, and having a unique cuisine means nothing about whether you are a "great food city." Great food city in America (and other world cities) means that you can get tons of different types of good food. One of my favorite cities in the world, Istanbul, has great food, but there's not tons of non-Turkish cuisine there. For that reason alone, I wouldn't say it's a great food city the likes of NYC, Chicago, London, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I'm going to have to ask for clarification, under what grounds are you asserting that Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia have better food than Singapore and Thailand?
The fact that I've been to both Singapore and Malaysia and was shown around both places by locals who are obsessed with food. Not to mention friends of mine who have been to both agree on this, as well as friends of mine who live in Singapore or have lived in Singapore and are familiar with Malaysia. Most them grew up in Malaysia, but they all love Singapore and grew up visiting often. Singapore is only about a 3 hour drive from KL.

I've honestly never met anybody who's visited both countries say that Singapore has better food, myself included. I know people who think Singapore is a better city (urban wise, it is for sure. KL is more like if Honolulu and Los Angeles had a baby).. Myself included again - Kuala Lumpur has much better food based on what I had and on average it's much cheaper too (and according to all my friends, Penang has amazing food even compared to KL standards, but I haven't been there yet). I thought the food in Singapore was good, but overrated as a supposed "great food city." I thought the KL area pretty much outdid it on everything food.

I also have a friend who recently went to Malaysia and Singapore, and has spent a decent amount of time in both Vietnam and Thailand and said Malaysia had the best food of the four.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
NY, LA, SF and DC (and their burbs) have the most variety...

Chicago, Seattle, Philadelphia and Miami are up there...

Almost every other city is mostly regional fare, with the occasional ethnic embellisment.
There's no way that Chicago should be grouped with Seattle, Philadelphia, and Miami. It's right below NYC and probably tied with LA or slightly behind it. I'd be willing to say that it's above SF. It's definitely above Seattle and Miami, and for sure Philadelphia. Houston is another one that should be on the list right there

Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,118,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's no way that Chicago should be grouped with Seattle, Philadelphia, and Miami. It's right below NYC and probably tied with LA or slightly behind it. I'd be willing to say that it's above SF. It's definitely above Seattle and Miami, and for sure Philadelphia. Houston is another one that should be on the list right there
Chicago, Dallas, and Houston all offer more variety than ethnic variety than Miami or Seattle. Hell, even Atlanta probably does. Especially Chicago and Houston do. Latin American cuisine in Seattle is poor and Asian cuisine in Miami is poor. Seattle has good Ethiopian cuisine but not so much from the other countries in Africa. Miami lacks all the way around there. Miami has good Southern European food and good Russian food too. Seattle has better Northern European fare. But they arent as well rounded as some cities.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,988,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think it's pretty easy - chicken cooks for hours and they basically put rice on the outside compacted so it looks like a rice ball. Then you dip it in some chili sauce. Most famous places is on Jonker Street in Malacca. This is what it looks like:

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...14033948_n.jpg

Reminds me too of the first dinner I had in Port Klang, about 25 miles SW of Kuala Lumpur. 3 whole crabs, 4 coconuts, buns, and two big Malay-Chinese dishes. ---> $15 USD

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...19957873_n.jpg
I think I've seen the rice balls on TV before, but have never noticed it at that restaurant and I've been quite a few times.

Quote:
I liked the Malaysian version of the best. My first taste of it was in the US in a suburb of Chicago and it was actually pretty good compared to what I had in Malaysia. Have you heard of their dish ABC? It's a dessert like cendol too, but called ABC because they put tons of stuff in it.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...22126804_n.jpg
Never heard of it, but it looks interesting. What type of stuff is added to it?

Quote:
Most hilarious thing there food-wise was that I was at a mall in KL or Petaling Jaya (mall culture is big there) and went into this donut shop. Took a picture of a donut and got yelled at. They don't allow pictures. LOL!
Ha! Those street vendors are super territorial, probably didn't want their secrets getting out.

Quote:
If you watch Anthony Bourdain, he actually has a big love for Malaysian food and the first trip there is apparently the one that made him fall in love with SE Asia. If you ever find a Nasi Kandar place too...GET IT. Amazing stuff.
He really does speak highly of SE Asia in general, I think he said he wants to retire to Vietnam when his daughter grows up. Will look out for that, just googled it and sounds awesome.

Thanks for posting all these pictures, really drives home how intense the food culture is there!

Old 05-21-2014, 03:57 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,988,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Chicago, Dallas, and Houston all offer more variety than ethnic variety than Miami or Seattle. Hell, even Atlanta probably does. Especially Chicago and Houston do. Latin American cuisine in Seattle is poor and Asian cuisine in Miami is poor. Seattle has good Ethiopian cuisine but not so much from the other countries in Africa. Miami lacks all the way around there. Miami has good Southern European food and good Russian food too. Seattle has better Northern European fare. But they arent as well rounded as some cities.
I have to agree on Miami. I lived in S. Florida for a while and while the food scene is pretty strong, it is not diverse enough to be mentioned with these other cities. Miami does do a few things VERY well, like Cuban, Nicaraguan, Colombian and personally I think they have the best Jamaican food (South Florida as a whole) outside of JA. Otherwise they have quite a few holes in their scene.

I think Tier A should be NYC, LA

Tier B Chicago, SF

Tier C Houston, DMV, Dallas, Boston and Philly.

Everywhere else as mentioned before starts to get a bit too regional or limited.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 05-21-2014 at 04:06 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 04:03 PM

18,593 posts, read 26,953,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yallcantstopme View Post
No way, LA is much more diverse, isn't this thread about variety?
Much more diverse? Don't know about that.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yallcantstopme View Post
No way, LA is much more diverse, isn't this thread about variety?
Much more diverse? Not really. Both LA and Chicago you can pretty much find any world cuisine and each city has a ton of different cultures in it.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:24 PM

890 posts, read 900,720 times
I also would say its a preferance of what you like...

I would guess I could get a far better Italian meal in Chicago on a consistent basis then in LA...and vice versa for southeast Asian cuisine for LA. So the major cities all do pretty well in variety there will most likely be a difference in certain types of food from city to city. In Austin for instance it's pretty much impossible (found 2 places that serve sub par Italian beef sandwiches) to find good non chain Italian/polish food. And in Chicago although its out there..I never could find such good BBQ.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 PM

890 posts, read 900,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I have to agree on Miami. I lived in S. Florida for a while and while the food scene is pretty strong, it is not diverse enough to be mentioned with these other cities. Miami does do a few things VERY well, like Cuban, Nicaraguan, Colombian and personally I think they have the best Jamaican food (South Florida as a whole) outside of JA. Otherwise they have quite a few holes in their scene.

I think Tier A should be NYC, LA

Tier B Chicago, SF

Tier C Houston, DMV, Dallas, Boston and Philly.

Everywhere else as mentioned before starts to get a bit too regional or limited.
I'm sorry but I don't see LA being above Chicago. What makes you say its a tier ahead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or