U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:33 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,953,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Chicago has a lot too but it's beyond laughable to insinuate that they aren't at the very least comparable, in my opinion.
I never said they weren't comparable. I said that Chicago is ahead of it. Houston has a lot of food offerings, though if we're going beyond ethnic cuisines too and into the realm of gastropubs, molecular gastronomy, etc etc then Chicago has more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 PM

112 posts, read 102,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Okay, then you should disqualify NYC and LA too because it's the same thing in various gentrified/hip neighborhoods there too. What a ridiculous comment.
Yes but ethnic food that is made for its own people's tastebuds and not white Americans is the rule not the exception in LA.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,729,285 times
Quote:
I never said they weren't comparable. I said that Chicago is ahead of it. Houston has a lot of food offerings, though if we're going beyond ethnic cuisines too and into the realm of gastropubs, molecular gastronomy, etc etc then Chicago has more.
That's a matter of opinion. My favorite foods are Thai, Arabian/Mediterranean, Korean, Mexican in that same order and generally prefer Houston more than Chicago, albeit ever so slightly (as Chicago goes nearly toe to toe with Houston off sheer size and volume) and I could NEVER find the depth and quality of Chicago's Italian food in Houston, ever. Just too good in Chicago.

I'm Southeast Asian, a bit of a bias, I like the food people around my country (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia) make much more than anything else. That's why it's a matter of opinion. I also prefer Los Angeles as a food city and a place of variety to New York, so it's just me.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
Yes but ethnic food that is made for its own people's tastebuds and not white Americans is the rule not the exception in LA.
Did you not read anything I wrote? Did you miss the fact when I referenced Chinatown, Little Vietnam, Little India/Pakistan, Koreatown, etc?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM

112 posts, read 102,358 times
When I think of ethnic food in yuppie areas I think of ethnic-americanized food.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
That's a matter of opinion. My favorite foods are Thai, Korean, Mexican in that same order and generally prefer Houston more than Chicago, albeit ever so slightly (as Chicago goes nearly toe to toe with Houston off sheer size and volume) and I could NEVER find the depth and quality of Chicago's Italian food in Houston, ever. Just too good in Chicago.

I'm Southeast Asian, a bit of a bias, I like the food people around my country (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia) make much more than anything else. That's why it's a matter of opinion. I also prefer Los Angeles as a food city and a place of variety to New York, so it's just me.
Those are some of my favorite foods. Thai and Mexican food in Chicago are good, especially for Mexican if you get out into the actual Mexican neighborhoods. The stuff you'd get in the gentrified neighborhoods is good but not amazing (though if you consider Ukrainian Village/Noble Square or Logan Square gentrified then those are exceptions for hispanic food being good in those areas).

Korean is passable and there's some really good new ones (Korean friend of mine who goes to LA's Koreatown a lot has cited a few new places up north in Chicago that are comparable to good places you'd get in LA). Thai food I find is good. My ex girlfriend is from Malaysia and lived in Chicago for about 2 years. Her words were that the Chinese food was passable with some very good ones, and the Thai food was good. She cited a few unknown places for Thai that she said were some of the best she'd had in the US. There's some great sushi places now - on average not like you'd get in Seattle or SoCal, but drastically improving with places like Juno.

Malaysian and Indonesian food, while you can get it, is lacking in Chicago. Though there is a new Indonesian place that will be opening up again. The arab food scene is pretty decent too and there's a lot of places in West Ridge and Irving Park that people haven't a clue about.

BBQ is lacking in Chicago, I will say. A few good options but not comparable to Texas. I love Vietnamese food too - Houston has more of it, but you can find some great Vietnamese food in Chicago (NOT Tank Noddle).

Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
When I think of ethnic food in yuppie areas I think of ethnic-americanized food.
LOL. You mean like that Orange Chicken/Sweet & Sour chicken/Kung Pao chicken/General Tsao's chicken/Chicken Tikka Masala/Cashew chicken crowd?

I agree. Institutions with those fake Chinese and Indian foods (Chicken Tikka Masala, as an Indian myself, was actually invented in London, not India) are awful examples of ethnic eats.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Those are some of my favorite foods. Thai and Mexican food in Chicago are good, especially if you know where to go. Mexican food in Chicago you have to get out of the hip neighborhoods to find really good stuff (go mainly to the south/southwest side). Korean is passable and there's some really good new ones (Korean friend of mine who goes to LA's Koreatown a lot has cited a few new places up north in Chicago that are comparable to good places you'd get in LA). Thai food I find is good. My ex girlfriend is from Malaysia and lived in Chicago for about 2 years. Her words were that the Chinese food was passable with some very good ones, and the Thai food was good. She cited a few unknown places for Thai that she said were some of the best she'd had in the US. There's some great sushi places now - on average not like you'd get in Seattle or SoCal, but drastically improving with places like Juno.

Malaysian and Indonesian food, while you can get it, is lacking in Chicago. Though there is a new Indonesian place that will be opening up again. The arab food scene is pretty decent too and there's a lot of places in West Ridge and Irving Park that people haven't a clue about.

BBQ is lacking in Chicago, I will say. A few good options but not comparable to Texas.
If there's definitely one thing that the tiny silly Texian town is very good at undeniably and it's ransacking the hell out of 95% of the American cities in diversity related everything (save for New York, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, the DMV, and Chicagoland (latter two being in the same range)). From parades and festivals, to cultural institutions, to specialized schools, to food, to clothing stores, to importing and exporting goods, to international destinations via flights, to ethnic eats.

Chicago's very very good, in my opinion the two places are equals in terms of variety because they specialize in areas the other lacks (Houston's lack is definitely Eastern European/European in general: while Chicago's is Southeast Asian / African) while neither are devoid of what they lack, they just "lack" for their respective sizes.

Chicago's got great Mexican eats in Pilsen. Wont ever hear a complaint from me on that. 1.6 million Mexican people strong, it shows.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
See, I think you are very much generalizing there. You can go to LA, NYC, and Chicago, and probably parts of Houston, and find authentic ethnic food in gentrified or gentrifying hoods. The way gentrification happens - not everyone moves out of an area. And just because you open up a restaurant in a gentrified hood doesn't mean anything. You're basically generalizing that people in these neighborhoods want something americanized, which is not necessarily true.

I'm not saying it's all like that, or even majority, but you can still find legitimate ethnic cuisine in them. I am pretty familiar with Turkish/Middle Eastern food for example. I can point you to about 10 places in gentrified neighborhoods in Chicago that are serving up legitimately authentic Turkish cuisine. The other day I got authentic Zaalouk (Moroccan) just outside of the Gold Coast, and I can point you to two places in the same area to get authentic Kyrgyz food.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Chicago's very very good, in my opinion the two places are equals in terms of variety because they specialize in areas the other lacks (Houston's lack is definitely Eastern European/European in general: while Chicago's is Southeast Asian / African) while neither are devoid of what they lack, they just "lack" for their respective sizes.
I agree, and food wise in general where I think Chicago pulls ahead is in its actual culinary cuisine that's not necessarily ethnic in origin.

Quote:
Chicago's got great Mexican eats in Pilsen. Wont ever hear a complaint from me on that. 1.6 million Mexican people strong, it shows.
Pilsen is just one neighborhood and while they have great Mexican food, the Mexican food in the other neighborhoods that white people are afraid to go to are even better. I was in Little Village this weekend - that reminded me of this (though there's more dangerous areas out there but this is one example of an area that people in a gentrified hood would never step foot in). I was with a friend who grew up in Mexico City who lived in San Diego for a handful of years and said it made him feel like he was in Mexico again. I got some Strawberry Aqua de Fresca from a street vendor there. Right away he was skeptical of it and after a sip he said it was as good as anything he could get in Mexico City. Most people in the city will never even experience this type of stuff but if you explore enough, you can find a lot of good stuff.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-19-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or