U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM

3,696 posts, read 4,516,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Also, these are not just neighborhood fests. These are "massive," top-tier music festivals attracting people from across the US. I'm not sure there is another city on the continent with more top-tier festivals (that said, I don't really follow these fests too closely). Frankly, I'm kind of astounded at the quality.
Yep. Lollapalooza, Pitchfork, Riot Fest and Spring Awakening alone are all tier 1 music festivals that happen right within the city limits and attract people from all over North America. There are obviously hundreds of smaller neighborhood festivals too that are too numerous to mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 PM

981 posts, read 716,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Have you actually lived in LA? I'm not trying to bash your post at all and you make some good points, but every day living in LA is nothing like how you describe it. It sounds more of a description of a visitor who is looking at the city through rose-colored glasses. The movie sets quickly become an annoyance more than anything especially if they are closing off streets that you travel through to get to work or w/e. And you can see famous people if you really want to scope them out but I honestly couldn't care less and I bet most people in LA couldn't either. Now granted, I didn't work in the entertainment industry, but in real life most people in LA don't. What you see on TV is not always reality.

No, I've only traveled there for business, so I haven't seen the full effect of living there, but I have 3 friends that live out there, so I have gotten a glimpse of it. You definitely must be right about the movie sets being a bad thing at times, but that happens even in cities like Chicago, and I was referring to all of the studios nearby I.E. Warner Bros, Fox, Disney, etc. Of course with a city pop of around 4 million you aren't going to see famous people just waltzing of the street everyday, but most famous people or movie actors or successful people do live in places like the Hollywood Hills, Beverly Hills, etc, and I can tell you a few of my friends who live around there, one of them told me he met Jay Leno, who tell me they enjoy knowing they live in a "city of celebs", and I know they aren't the only ones. It must be kind of like how people who live in NYC try to avoid Times Square like the plague, while outsiders tend to adore Times Square, I'm sure that effect of avoiding the touristy areas does have a large effect on LA residents as well. But, the biggest thing OP says doesn't matter appears to be the "temperature", which overall, I'm sure even you can't deny this, is what makes LA such an appealing place to most.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM

14,791 posts, read 18,928,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Downtown LA still can't compare to the Loop in Chicago. Heck, Downtown LA can't compare to Downtown Portland. It still has a long, long ways to go. Too many warehouses, pawn shops, and essentially is still a poor man's downtown to this day.
The Loop sucks for living in - hopefully you meant River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast, South Loop, and West Loop (and maybe the very north part of the Loop near the river). DTLA is getting better for sure, but it's true - it doesn't compare to the areas just mentioned.

With that being said, just like Chicago there are great neighborhoods in LA. It depends on what your lifestyle is though. Both are good cities - as someone with half his family in LA, I like Chicago more, but LA is getting better and better. There's some people there I could do without, though.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:48 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,115,694 times
If you dont care about weather, Chicago hands down.

I grew up in the LA area and lived in Chicago for two years. If it were not for the weather, Id still be there. If you isolate the cities in the US and take out terrain, weather, and natural surroundings Chicago is one of the best cities in the world. LA is great, but if you take it out of Southern California, you could put it in Texas and it would be a more international, more liberal, more diverse version of Houston or Dallas. Its Middle America and Midwestern, but its still unique.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:23 PM

14,791 posts, read 18,928,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
If you isolate the cities in the US and take out terrain, weather, and natural surroundings Chicago is one of the best cities in the world.
A friend of mine who moved to Chicago 8 months ago from San Diego (and spent a lot of time in LA), from Mexico City originally, basically said "If Chicago were where LA or San Diego is, it might be one of the best cities in the world." And this is after he spent the worst winter ever and hated the city until the spring.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:27 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,467,728 times
Quote:
If you dont care about weather, Chicago hands down.

I grew up in the LA area and lived in Chicago for two years. If it were not for the weather, Id still be there. If you isolate the cities in the US and take out terrain, weather, and natural surroundings Chicago is one of the best cities in the world. LA is great, but if you take it out of Southern California, you could put it in Texas and it would be a more international, more liberal, more diverse version of Houston or Dallas. Its Middle America and Midwestern, but its still unique.
IOW - Los Angeles is a more international, liberal, diverse version of Houston or Dallas, with more appealing terrain, weather and natural surroundings than either of those cities and Chicago. But you'd still rather live in Chicago.

Ok.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:30 PM

I swear, this is the only place I've ever witnessed adults contemplate the spontaneous relocation of entire cities. This gives me a great idea for a new religion.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:45 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,115,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
IOW - Los Angeles is a more international, liberal, diverse version of Houston or Dallas, with more appealing terrain, weather and natural surroundings than either of those cities and Chicago. But you'd still rather live in Chicago.

Ok.
Read the title of the thread. The OP cares not for weather, natural surroundings, or beaches. You take that away from LA and I would rather live in Chicago. With the cities as they currently exist, I would rather live in LA.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,321,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
No, I've only traveled there for business, so I haven't seen the full effect of living there, but I have 3 friends that live out there, so I have gotten a glimpse of it. You definitely must be right about the movie sets being a bad thing at times, but that happens even in cities like Chicago, and I was referring to all of the studios nearby I.E. Warner Bros, Fox, Disney, etc. Of course with a city pop of around 4 million you aren't going to see famous people just waltzing of the street everyday, but most famous people or movie actors or successful people do live in places like the Hollywood Hills, Beverly Hills, etc, and I can tell you a few of my friends who live around there, one of them told me he met Jay Leno, who tell me they enjoy knowing they live in a "city of celebs", and I know they aren't the only ones. It must be kind of like how people who live in NYC try to avoid Times Square like the plague, while outsiders tend to adore Times Square, I'm sure that effect of avoiding the touristy areas does have a large effect on LA residents as well. But, the biggest thing OP says doesn't matter appears to be the "temperature", which overall, I'm sure even you can't deny this, is what makes LA such an appealing place to most.
There are definitely people in LA that are like that. My friend who is in the entertainment industry is always hiking in Runyon Canyon so he can spot celebrities. Quite frankly I think it's silly. I mean, they are people who have jobs and pay taxes and die just like everyone else. I don't see what is worth gawking at or what is so fulfilling about seeing a celebrity.

What I liked most about living in LA were the outdoor recreational opportunities, the beaches, the dining opportunities, and the regional attractions/location. I liked that I could drive to San Diego or Sedona or Vegas or Sequoia for a weekend. I liked that I could fly to San Francisco for $120 roundtrip. And yes, definitely loved the weather. But a lot of these are things that the OP has explicitly stated he doesn't care too much about.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Read the title of the thread. The OP cares not for weather, natural surroundings, or beaches. You take that away from LA and I would rather live in Chicago. With the cities as they currently exist, I would rather live in LA.
Local culture, history and land use are largely determined by local climate, proximity and geography. They're inextricably linked, such that the premise of this thread is preposterous. I know - my bad for even responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or