U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2014, 07:37 PM
 
Location: The Midwest U.S.A. for now
523 posts, read 580,761 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
There are definitely people in LA that are like that. My friend who is in the entertainment industry is always hiking in Runyon Canyon so he can spot celebrities. Quite frankly I think it's silly. I mean, they are people who have jobs and pay taxes and die just like everyone else. I don't see what is worth gawking at or what is so fulfilling about seeing a celebrity.

What I liked most about living in LA were the outdoor recreational opportunities, the beaches, the dining opportunities, and the regional attractions/location. I liked that I could drive to San Diego or Sedona or Vegas or Sequoia for a weekend. I liked that I could fly to San Francisco for $120 roundtrip. And yes, definitely loved the weather. But a lot of these are things that the OP has explicitly stated he doesn't care too much about.
Yeah, I don't understand the idea of wanting to see celebrities too. Though it would be cool to meet some, it's not a reason I'd choose to live somewhere for. But, obviously, so people do find that a reason to (or at least a plus about a place).

I believe LA has great beaches too (I've been to Santa Monica, can't speak of others), and they are terrific. Chicago too has some good beaches, and what's cool about Chi town is you can sit on the beach and turn around and see all of the huge skyscrapers directly behind you. But, OP doesn't seem to like the beaches as much as most people do.

The close proximity (or relatively close proximity) to other major cities and entertainment in other cities is also a giant plus for LA, where Chicago is really just itself surrounded by farm land and other rust belt cities of not much note. I definitely could get used to living in Southern Cali and driving every now and again with some buddies to Vegas. The surrounding or at least nearby cities to LA also blow nearby cities to Chicago out of the water (who visits Milwaukee or Peoria?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,948,992 times
Reputation: 6255
Yeah, eh whatever. I think for most people, they think that celebrities are magical people when in fact most of them are normal people with a few skills, just like a lot of people out there who aren't famous. Half of my family is in LA and I grew up going there all the time. Every trip I see someone I've seen in movies/tv and my family is friends with some actors and producers. I've also drank with them at some places in Chicago. For me it's no big deal, but I would understand others who basically revere these people as mythical because they're on the big screen and their TVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 11:50 AM
 
5,807 posts, read 10,352,728 times
Reputation: 4311
OP, you would love Chicago. Reading your posts, I think Chicago would be a perfect fit for you. Its funny and interesting, because I am the complete opposite of you. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and now live in SoCal. I go back three times a year to visit family, which I am close to, and I love visiting the city, and can see raising a family in the fox river valley or somewhere like that, but I could not imagine having to try to carve out a social life there again, given that my interests are totally different from most people there.

I like restaurants because of the decor/ambiance/concept/theme. I don't have well developed enough taste buds to truly be a foodie. Live music of bands or performers I've never heard of are rarely memorable. It is concept/theme albums that are memorable to me, and I love touring towns where musicians got there start, thinking theres something magical about the place. And sports? well, the more widely passionate people are for sports teams, the more everyone gets dressed up, the more tribal and anti-individualistic the place feels. Western cities sports teams are new, and for many its a tangential interest.

I tend to have a bit more contrived, artificial idea of diversity, where "progressive" white people strive to have at least one friend who is African American, Hispanic, Asian, and non European Caucasian. Ethnic neighborhoods generally do little for me.

Conversely, I have an encyclopedic knowledge of hiking trails, camping areas, kayaking, snorkeling, etc. opportunities, local flora and fauna, minor average climate differences, etc. within either a day trip or a weekend trip. And have a hard time relating to people do not have these things somewhat on there radar.

The point is, is that I made the leap based on myself. I think you would be a good fit for Chicago.

Visit and find out. I'm sure you'll love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,647,137 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The surrounding or at least nearby cities to LA also blow nearby cities to Chicago out of the water (who visits Milwaukee or Peoria?).
Lots of people visit St Louis, Madison, Milwaukee, Indy, Detroit, etc.

Who visits Fresno, Oroville and Stockton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 02:00 PM
 
Location: The Midwest U.S.A. for now
523 posts, read 580,761 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Lots of people visit St Louis, Madison, Milwaukee, Indy, Detroit, etc.

Who visits Fresno, Oroville and Stockton?
Compared to San Diego, Vegas, SF, Phoenix, those cities just don't compare I'm sorry. Most midwest cities unfortunately are losing their pop and those west coast cities are growing continuously. Some midwest and NE cities were about to rebound from the fall of factory jobs and hard labor, but many (Detroit, Gary, Cleveland, etc.) represent the unfortunate truth that those cities are becoming in some cases ghost towns. And I can see STL and perhaps Milwaukee and Indy being good places, but Detroit and Madison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,869,750 times
Reputation: 29355
Yes Detroit and Madison. Anyone who is interested in automotive culture and history either has been to Detroit or needs to go some day. And Madison punches well above its weight, which you might know if you'd ever been there. And the fact that many Sun Belt cities are going through the growth spurt that legacy cities got out of their system a century ago doesn't make them objectively better or more interesting.

Considering the OP's qualifications that things like climate and beaches are not even considerations much less deciding factors, Chicago seems like a slam-dunk to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 09:27 PM
 
5,807 posts, read 10,352,728 times
Reputation: 4311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Compared to San Diego, Vegas, SF, Phoenix, those cities just don't compare I'm sorry. Most midwest cities unfortunately are losing their pop and those west coast cities are growing continuously. Some midwest and NE cities were about to rebound from the fall of factory jobs and hard labor, but many (Detroit, Gary, Cleveland, etc.) represent the unfortunate truth that those cities are becoming in some cases ghost towns. And I can see STL and perhaps Milwaukee and Indy being good places, but Detroit and Madison?
?? You got it backwards.

Have you been to Metro Detroit?? Despite Detroit propers population loss and urban decay, the city and surrounding suburbs have far more culture, amenities, etc. than Milwaukee and Indy. Its still inarguably the second metro area in the midwest. Although Twin Cities is gaining most certainly.

And even though Madison is noticeably smaller than Milwaukee and Indianapolis, its more "hip" than those other two by any definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,948,992 times
Reputation: 6255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
OP, you would love Chicago. Reading your posts, I think Chicago would be a perfect fit for you. Its funny and interesting, because I am the complete opposite of you. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and now live in SoCal. I go back three times a year to visit family, which I am close to, and I love visiting the city, and can see raising a family in the fox river valley or somewhere like that, but I could not imagine having to try to carve out a social life there again, given that my interests are totally different from most people there.

I like restaurants because of the decor/ambiance/concept/theme. I don't have well developed enough taste buds to truly be a foodie. Live music of bands or performers I've never heard of are rarely memorable. It is concept/theme albums that are memorable to me, and I love touring towns where musicians got there start, thinking theres something magical about the place. And sports? well, the more widely passionate people are for sports teams, the more everyone gets dressed up, the more tribal and anti-individualistic the place feels. Western cities sports teams are new, and for many its a tangential interest.
Everytime you say this stuff, a part of me wants to wrangle you a little bit because we are somewhat similar - though I do have the taste buds to truly be a foodie. I think because you grew up in the area that you have said "whatever" and moved. But for the 10th time probably, I'm here to tell you that your stereotypes for the most part are not reality in anywhere but a few areas. I have a good amount of friends like this, and every one of them would tell you what I've been trying to tell you all along. I think you know the city in areas, but not nearly as much as you've led yourself to believe.

I understand your love of the outdoors though and why you wouldn't want to be in the area for that and why the West Coast is better for it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 AM
 
5,807 posts, read 10,352,728 times
Reputation: 4311
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Everytime you say this stuff, a part of me wants to wrangle you a little bit because we are somewhat similar - though I do have the taste buds to truly be a foodie. I think because you grew up in the area that you have said "whatever" and moved. But for the 10th time probably, I'm here to tell you that your stereotypes for the most part are not reality in anywhere but a few areas. I have a good amount of friends like this, and every one of them would tell you what I've been trying to tell you all along. I think you know the city in areas, but not nearly as much as you've led yourself to believe.

I understand your love of the outdoors though and why you wouldn't want to be in the area for that and why the West Coast is better for it, though.
Woah! relax, did you read my post clearly, or did I not write it clearly? I just said something great about Chicago!


In other words, I was basically being a little self deprecating, stating that Chicago has some of the best food in North America because everyone else says so, but its not from personal experience, because comparing Chicagos restaurants with those of another city, would probably be lost on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,948,992 times
Reputation: 6255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Woah! relax, did you read my post clearly, or did I not write it clearly? I just said something great about Chicago!


In other words, I was basically being a little self deprecating, stating that Chicago has some of the best food in North America because everyone else says so, but its not from personal experience, because comparing Chicagos restaurants with those of another city, would probably be lost on me.

I'm aware you said that, what I was responding to was this:

Quote:
but I could not imagine having to try to carve out a social life there again, given that my interests are totally different from most people there.
Which again - we've talked before and our interests in many areas are similar, yet I have had no problem meeting many other people who share similar things to me and have had no problem carving out a social life here. That's my point because you constantly bring it up and as someone who can relate to you based on what you've told me, it doesn't compute unless you're only talking about a few areas and even then it wouldn't be 100% accurate. You may know the city a little bit, but it's obvious you don't know it as well as you think based off everytime you bring this up.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-20-2014 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top