U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2014, 06:25 PM
 
148 posts, read 187,008 times
Reputation: 350

Advertisements

I know this is a broad question, but I intended it to be that way. In terms of 'things' to do and other amenities, if someone doesn't care about climate, and beaches - which city would win out?

Thinking about moving to either of these two cities, and the usual things I hear people talk about, they don't really matter to me. I'm far more indoorsy, and have braved so much harsh weather in my life that I've become numb to it. I've been to SoCal a no. of times, and while the weather was great, its not something I HAVE to have. Also, I've been to beaches with friends, but I'd get there and be like, 'Ok, now what?'

I love great restaurants; live music that spans everything from 'classical' to underground hip hop. I like bookstores, and interesting shops. I like A LOT of things, but most of what I like doing is done indoors. I don't hate being outside, but I'm just not a big nature guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Downtown LA
1,192 posts, read 1,288,678 times
Reputation: 848
I suppose if you're the type of person who feels exactly the same whether its overcast and gloomy, blizzarding outside, or sunny and 72, then I'd rate both cities equally. But speaking personally, weather is a factor.

I'm not big beach or nature guy either, but I thoroughly enjoy knowing that when I step outside, the weather is going to be near-perfect. Back east, I'd look forward to those couple weeks in the spring and again in the fall when the weather was neither too hot and humid nor too cold. For those couple weeks I'd make any excuse to be outside because it just feels good to be there. Conversely, when its overcast for too many days in row I'd feel off and even a little depressed. I think they call it Seasonal Affective Disorder. So being that way, LA does wonders for my mood.

It can still get overcast here in May and June (they call it the "May Gray" and the "June Gloom") but it burns off like clockwork around noon and its always sunny the rest of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,792 posts, read 18,950,305 times
Reputation: 6797
If it wasn't a factor, then Chicago though LA is good too. Depends on what you want really, and Chicago in the summer is quite amazing (not because of weather, though it's nice a warm/hot usually...but because of what goes on).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,335,446 times
Reputation: 8271
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
I know this is a broad question, but I intended it to be that way. In terms of 'things' to do and other amenities, if someone doesn't care about climate, and beaches - which city would win out?

Thinking about moving to either of these two cities, and the usual things I hear people talk about, they don't really matter to me. I'm far more indoorsy, and have braved so much harsh weather in my life that I've become numb to it. I've been to SoCal a no. of times, and while the weather was great, its not something I HAVE to have. Also, I've been to beaches with friends, but I'd get there and be like, 'Ok, now what?'

I love great restaurants; live music that spans everything from 'classical' to underground hip hop. I like bookstores, and interesting shops. I like A LOT of things, but most of what I like doing is done indoors. I don't hate being outside, but I'm just not a big nature guy.
Are you planning to have a car in both cities? One thing to keep in mind is that in Chicago you will likely be spending more time outside walking/taking public transportation than you would if you had a car.

On the flipside, Chicago to me is far, far easier to get around, especially if you aren't using a car. I lived in South Pasadena and it seemed like if I wanted to do anything outside of the "bubble" of Pasadena/SGV it was such a production due to traffic, parking, etc.

Seems to me based only off of what you said that you would do fine in either city if you were in a neighborhood that offered what you are looking for in immediate proximity. Both have a good amount of those kinds neighborhoods. But I'm venturing to guess being around interesting shops and bookstores and live music aren't the only factors at play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 PM
 
148 posts, read 187,008 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I suppose if you're the type of person who feels exactly the same whether its overcast and gloomy, blizzarding outside, or sunny and 72, then I'd rate both cities equally. But speaking personally, weather is a factor.

I'm not big beach or nature guy either, but I thoroughly enjoy knowing that when I step outside, the weather is going to be near-perfect. Back east, I'd look forward to those couple weeks in the spring and again in the fall when the weather was neither too hot and humid nor too cold. For those couple weeks I'd make any excuse to be outside because it just feels good to be there. Conversely, when its overcast for too many days in row I'd feel off and even a little depressed. I think they call it Seasonal Affective Disorder. So being that way, LA does wonders for my mood.

It can still get overcast here in May and June (they call it the "May Gray" and the "June Gloom") but it burns off like clockwork around noon and its always sunny the rest of the day.
My attitude towards weather has always been 'it is what it is'.

SURE, great weather is a great thing, but I'm just indifferent to it.

What I'm NOT indifferent to are the activities I enjoy.

I LOVE listening to great musicians play live.

I LOVE great food. L-O-V-E.

I love sporting events.

There are just so many things that I like, and a big city, with a lot of things to do, will allow me to indulge in the thing I love, and discover new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 PM
 
148 posts, read 187,008 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Are you planning to have a car in both cities? One thing to keep in mind is that in Chicago you will likely be spending more time outside walking/taking public transportation than you would if you had a car.

On the flipside, Chicago to me is far, far easier to get around, especially if you aren't using a car. I lived in South Pasadena and it seemed like if I wanted to do anything outside of the "bubble" of Pasadena/SGV it was such a production due to traffic, parking, etc.

Seems to me based only off of what you said that you would do fine in either city if you were in a neighborhood that offered what you are looking for in immediate proximity. Both have a good amount of those kinds neighborhoods. But I'm venturing to guess being around interesting shops and bookstores and live music aren't the only factors at play.
Driving isn't an issue, but...

...being able to get around well w/o a car is definitely a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,792 posts, read 18,950,305 times
Reputation: 6797
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
I LOVE listening to great musicians play live.

I LOVE great food. L-O-V-E.

I love sporting events.

There are just so many things that I like, and a big city, with a lot of things to do, will allow me to indulge in the thing I love, and discover new ones.
Both cities are great with all of these really. I think it depends on what type of city you want - Chicago is the more urban and walkable city and LA does have some of that, but it's not at the same level. Public transit is a little easier to use/more far reaching in Chicago, more cabs, etc. But if you don't care about that, then.....what else is there that you care about? Types of people? Cost of living? Diversity? Both cities for food you can pretty much get any type of cuisine you want (though I will give the overall nod to Chicago in food, LA is great too). Music scenes are a little different but both cities have a lot of different types covered. LA has more bands centered there due to the record industry, but it doesn't mean that all of them are necessarily going to be playing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM
 
148 posts, read 187,008 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Both cities are great with all of these really. Is this a thread deciding which one you want to live in or just curious on peoples' thoughts?
This is about moving.

I figured both cities would be roughly the same in the areas that interest me the most, but since I haven't been to Chicago, I figured I'd ask to be certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,792 posts, read 18,950,305 times
Reputation: 6797
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
This is about moving.

I figured both cities would be roughly the same in the areas that interest me the most, but since I haven't been to Chicago, I figured I'd ask to be certain.
What else matters to you besides those things? The job thing also matters so that would depend on what industry you're in of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 PM
 
148 posts, read 187,008 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
What else matters to you besides those things? The job thing also matters so that would depend on what industry you're in of course.
I have a home-based business. So, I'm completely flexible, and the local job market wouldn't matter.

It really only comes down to where would I enjoy myself the most.

I've considered NYC, but I have family there ... and, well ... I'd rather not be too close to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:19 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top