U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 PM
 
1,174 posts, read 1,192,274 times
Reputation: 994

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
With the Exxon deal there is a lot speculation that Houston could be annexing 150-250 sq miles - with this it would blow by Chicago and be on the heals of LA.

But then you would go there and be like, where is the city...

City limits are mostly absurd- Philadelphia would surpass the population of present Day Houston in a land area smaller than Dallas in terms of population

MSA and UA are mostly better metrics than city limits
What??? Houston is already at 599 sq. miles and Chicago is at 227 sq. miles, which is also ridiculous. What nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2014, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,415,072 times
Reputation: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
What??? Houston is already at 599 sq. miles and Chicago is at 227 sq. miles, which is also ridiculous. What nonsense.
Phoenix, Arizona is also 517 sq miles while Philly is 134, yet Phoenix is going to be considered a "larger" city in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,268 posts, read 26,049,912 times
Reputation: 9040
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
With the Exxon deal there is a lot speculation that Houston could be annexing 150-250 sq miles - with this it would blow by Chicago and be on the heals of LA.

But then you would go there and be like, where is the city...

City limits are mostly absurd- Philadelphia would surpass the population of present Day Houston in a land area smaller than Dallas in terms of population

MSA and UA are mostly better metrics than city limits
Houston won't annex that much according to Red John. Just the Exxon area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 04:20 PM
 
862 posts, read 828,367 times
Reputation: 473
Austin nearly gained 100,000 and its only 272 sq miles. Plus the burbs are BOOMING...that's where a lot of transplants move to. Wonder what it would be with those numbers included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 04:25 PM
 
Location: The City
21,975 posts, read 30,970,117 times
Reputation: 7498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston won't annex that much according to Red John. Just the Exxon area.
I had thought it could be as much as 250 sq miles

regardless at nearly 600 sq miles already is silly to compare to place half the size on population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,268 posts, read 26,049,912 times
Reputation: 9040
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I had thought it could be as much as 250 sq miles

regardless at nearly 600 sq miles already is silly to compare to place half the size on population
From my understanding, that's what they have in their etj.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 04:43 PM
 
Location: The Mid-Cities
1,082 posts, read 1,389,352 times
Reputation: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
From my understanding, that's what they have in their etj.
If plans go as shown in the etj and it actually is 250 miles that would put the the total city area at 877.8 sq miles. It would challenge Jacksonville as the largest city in total area in the continental US and beat it in land area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 05:44 PM
 
1,174 posts, read 1,192,274 times
Reputation: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Austin nearly gained 100,000 and its only 272 sq miles. Plus the burbs are BOOMING...that's where a lot of transplants move to. Wonder what it would be with those numbers included.
272 sq miles is very large when you look at other cities like Minneapolis (55 sq. miles), Boston (48 sq. miles), or Miami (36 sq miles). Minneapolis at 271.6 sq miles (includes St. Paul and inner-ring suburbs) is 1,192,393 (2013 census numbers). Obviously Boston and Miami would be well over 1M too.

Last edited by YIMBY; 05-22-2014 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
 
862 posts, read 828,367 times
Reputation: 473
Yeah it is a pretty large area still but I was just comparing it to Houston being 500+. Austin also has more people living downtown then any other Texas city i believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,390 posts, read 10,012,344 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
If plans go as shown in the etj and it actually is 250 miles that would put the the total city area at 877.8 sq miles. It would challenge Jacksonville as the largest city in total area in the continental US and beat it in land area.
How are the NIMBY's in that large area Houston wants to annex? I would assume there would have to be overwhelming support for it. I know in the Philly area it would be extremely difficult for Philly to annex neighboring suburbs into its city proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top