U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you live in if you HAD to choose.
East St Louis 25 20.33%
Camden 98 79.67%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2014, 08:17 PM

2,363 posts, read 2,029,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
the midwest metros in no way compare to the density and proximity of the east coast metros. Camden is very close to philadelphia and reasonably close to nyc. Camden is closer to nyc than east st. Louis is to chicago, fact.

Lastly, camden actually has decent areas, east st. Louis does not. There are no nice suburbs of st. Louis on the illinois side that i am aware of. Signing off this thread now.
That's a good idea. You ignored most of my post, and you continue to speak nonsense, which I have bolded.

If you do decide to comeback, by all means please do tell us how Edwardsville, Collinsville, Belleville, Swansea, Fairview Heights, Millstadt, Columbia, Waterloo, etc, etc, are all so crappy. Please explain to me how Monroe County has the second highest median household income in the entire metro, behind St. Charles County, if it is so crappy. Because God knows 700,000 must be living in the crappiest suburbs of all time because someone, who has never even been to St. Louis, said so on an internet forum.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,070,553 times
Quote:
. . . There are no nice suburbs of st. Louis on the illinois side that i am aware of. Signing off this thread now.
After this conspicuous display of astounding ignorance, signing off is probably your best move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
This statement is so incredibly incorrect. Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Fairview Hts, Maryville, Belleville: these are all perfectly nice suburbs in the Metro East (an area of almost 700,000 people!) that you would find in upper middle class suburbia all over the U.S. Madison county IL is actually pretty nice overall. Even Alton has some nice areas. ESL is a pretty extreme case.
My sister and BIL, semi-retired in their mid-40s and with a Ferrari in the garage, have the means to live pretty much anywhere but the most expensive ZIP codes in the country. They've lived all over the country, including the Philly suburbs. When it was time to settle down for good, they put down their roots in O'Fallon (the Illinois one).

Last edited by Drover; 07-03-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 AM

6,267 posts, read 8,430,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Don't shatter Coldailment's delusion of there being nothing nice on the IL side of St. Louis!
You worry about France, I'll worry about the US.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:47 AM

2,363 posts, read 2,029,657 times
Quote:
The user's name is Caesarstl. He probably wishes to hear your response as to why the Metro East sucks, just like the rest of us.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:24 AM

22,901 posts, read 64,994,181 times
East St. Louis looks abandoned.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:29 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,931,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The user's name is Caesarstl. He probably wishes to hear your response as to why the Metro East sucks, just like the rest of us.

Quote:
Actually have an idea of what you're talking about and I wouldn't have to...

Old 07-04-2014, 11:30 PM

10,715 posts, read 18,597,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
That's a good idea. You ignored most of my post, and you continue to speak nonsense, which I have bolded.

If you do decide to comeback, by all means please do tell us how Edwardsville, Collinsville, Belleville, Swansea, Fairview Heights, Millstadt, Columbia, Waterloo, etc, etc, are all so crappy. Please explain to me how Monroe County has the second highest median household income in the entire metro, behind St. Charles County, if it is so crappy. Because God knows 700,000 must be living in the crappiest suburbs of all time because someone, who has never even been to St. Louis, said so on an internet forum.
Good post. People don't realize how much more there is to Metro East than the relatively tiny town of East St Louis.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:21 PM

7,402 posts, read 9,469,092 times
While I know rather little about East St. Louis, I do know just enough to prefer Camden.

As others have probably pointed out, the parts of the city within/immediately outside the Rutgers-Camden campus are fairly nice, up to and including a small but pleasant stretch of waterfront. The bubble is just big enough to include a Patco stop, a 24/7 rapid transit system that provides easy access to Center City Philadelphia, as well as the charming and walkable South Jersey towns of Collingswood, Westmont/Haddon Township, and Haddonfield. All your shopping needs can be satisfied in nearby Cherry Hill (a 10-minute drive), though getting there isn't easy without a car.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 637 times
I worked in ESTL at the Head Start for 2 years. I never had 1 problem there, although i did get there at 6 am & left at 3 pm. I was the only white person i ever saw there. Never 1 problem. I have no reason to go to N STL & don't, but it looks/seems waaaaaay scarier than East STL. However, we go to STL often for fun & always have fun & never any problems! It's a great city with tons to do. Go cardinals!

Old 12-05-2014, 05:14 PM

21,973 posts, read 30,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
sadly this scene will always be my image of E STL - what was it they wrote on the wagon

Honky Lips or something.

Hope good things for both truly - hate to see how to many US cities have become blighted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City