Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,630,554 times

Advertisements

I don't understand it but NYC and L.A. always seem to be talked about more than Chicago.Chicago has more diversity and a better skyline than L.A.Chicago has really nice architecture.It has alot of different types of resturants just as NYC and L.A.Is it because Chicago is in the Midwest.I think the Midwest is a great region,whats so great about the coasts, they seem to be the most expensive regions,so why do people shell out more money to live in L.A. and New York when Chicago is every bit as good as them,and probably better than L.A.I don't know Im confused on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 11:28 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,162,339 times
NYC is alot bigger, hence the reason it overshadows Chicago. LA, while not as big as NY, is home to alot of movie stars and the like, it gets alot of attention for that reason. People associate LA with beaches, glamour, retarded Hollywood folks, etc. The truth really is that LA is hardly what people think it is. Most of it is filthy, the traffic blows, the downtown is pathetic, etc. LA, besides Phoenix, is the least impressive big city Ive ever been to, thats the honest truth. Big bucks buys you a crap house in a crap neighborhood. Yes the weather is supremely nice, but thats another story. Ill never understand why Chicago is in LA's shadow as far as exposure goes. Both are about equal world-players, so Ill give LA that much.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:32 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,646,027 times
hey CTN,
i think you may have answered your own question.
i think it's the coastal thing. i'm an nyc local, and i've been through chicago twice. i was impressed with the cleanliness of the streets there (seemed to be no trash anywhere!) and i'm sure that it does have all the amenities of the other cities...
but i think that folks like the coast, or proximity to the coast...left or right.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:33 AM

I can see why NYC overshadows Chicago but Los Angeles really can't compete with Chicago in most aspects.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,453,771 times
Well, what you're talking about is the perception of the cities, not necessarily the reality. Los Angeles is known worldwide for its media production. People all over the planet watch movies and listen to music that comes out of LA. New York is known for being the capitalist hub of the world.

Not to knock on Chicago, I'm sure it's a cool place to live.. but what is it known for that really stands out among major world cities? Railroads? Meat Packing? Populism?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,162,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Not to knock on Chicago, I'm sure it's a cool place to live.. but what is it known for that really stands out among major world cities? Railroads? Meat Packing? Populism?
Stock exchange, financial center, transportation hub, etc. Theres no one special industry here, which is what gives the city its unique flair, its very diverse.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:57 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,453,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Stock exchange, financial center, transportation hub, etc. Theres no one special industry here, which is what gives the city its unique flair, its very diverse.
Well, Chicago's qualities as a financial center aren't nearly as impressive as New York's, especially not in the global sense. Transportation is just not impressive in general. I mean, South Carolina is a major peach-production center. North Carolina is one of America's leaders in swine production. That doesn't exactly make us a global household name, you know?

Transportation > Peaches, of course, but hopefully you get my point. Look on the bright side, though, at least you don't have to live in Los Angeles.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:59 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,349,989 times
I would imagine it's simply the fact that New York and Los Angeles are on the east and west coasts respectively. A lot of people tend to overlook the Midwest i've noticed.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 PM

Yeah and we shouldn't be overlooked in the Midwest because there is plenty to do.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:21 PM

94 posts, read 465,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I don't understand it but NYC and L.A. always seem to be talked about more than Chicago.Chicago has more diversity and a better skyline than L.A.Chicago has really nice architecture.It has alot of different types of resturants just as NYC and L.A.Is it because Chicago is in the Midwest.I think the Midwest is a great region,whats so great about the coasts, they seem to be the most expensive regions,so why do people shell out more money to live in L.A. and New York when Chicago is every bit as good as them,and probably better than L.A.I don't know Im confused on this one.
As a chicago native i have to comment on your blatant mistakes. One of the main reasons people don't like chicago is because of the people. Specifically people like you who always feel the need to be in competition with other cities and feel the need to put other cities down. Get the picture? Go to LA and see how many of them even have chicago, or new york for that matter on their radar. not many. Go to new york and its the same story.

So chicago has a better skyline than LA. Well everyone knows that. Skylines dont completely make a city. As far as food goes, give me a break La has wonderful food. Mexican, Central american, south american, african, asian, eastern european, etc. There is no need to knock a cities dining scene, just because you couldn't find a vienna beef hot dog.

Chicago also does not have nearly the amount of diversity that LA or the LA metro area has...and if you think otherwise, which i cant see how than you need help... California, specifically southern California, probably has waaay more diversity than pretty much anywhere save, new york city.

Its people like you, that make others think chicagoans have an inferiority complex.

If you truley loved chicago, like me, and as much as i hate to admitt it, STEVE O, than you would just sit back, relax and realize that CHICAGO, is the nation's best kept secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City