Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With out census numbers which city feels larger in Population?
Dallas 13 8.84%
Los Angeles 67 45.58%
Chicago 44 29.93%
Houston 10 6.80%
Atlanta 10 6.80%
Miami 3 2.04%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:39 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
For actual city limits i say houston. A few cities on this poll combined can fit inside houston.
That doesn't bode well for Houston's 'big city' feel. Houston is spread out over a huge swath of land, which detracts from the big city feel because that huge swath of land is not filled with skyscrapers and dense mid to low rise urbanity. You can be in parts of the Houston city limits and feel like you are in a suburb. Chicago has a higher population in 234 square miles than Houston does in 627 square miles. That is the difference in big city feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
I didn't travel around enough of the metro to fairly judge, but from my last visit to the Miami area, anything around Miami Gardens up to Fort Lauderdale didnt feel like I was in as large of a Metro as it feels riding around Atlanta. Unless it "feels larger" south of that point then I guess my opinion would stay the same.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
dee is one of them there southerns that you can not minipulate with your fancy northeast talkin you guys

Old 05-26-2014, 07:31 PM

140 posts, read 141,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I put "rural" in quotation marks for a reason. For a major city, large parts of south dallas look country and undeveloped. I live in dfw. Have you driven down 45? Ledbetter? Theres NOTHING urban about that. Dallas posters like to trumpet uptown/downtown but ignore the fact that there are large sections of the city that look the total opposite.
Coming into the city going north on 45 there is a lot of rural looking land. What you are looking at is the great trinity forest, that the city decided long ago to leave as a large natural area and floodplain.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
dee is one of them there southerns that you can not minipulate with your fancy northeast talkin you guys
Thank you!
Dallas is winning like I forecast it to be the number 3 spot and Houstonians have childish ways when it come to Dallas being more important.You in Illinois must have never been out of the state thinking Dallas is anything less then what I said ha ha ha.

Dallas is doing big things and Houston,Atlanta,Chicago and etc.......need to get out of town more why Dallas is metro 7million strong and coming for Chicago spot.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Voted for LA. It's insane to see LA at night. You just see endless lights extending to the horizon in every direction.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
You are welcome! I was being completely genuine!

But Dallas should have 0 votes, the only acceptable voting options are LA & CHI.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
Coming into the city going north on 45 there is a lot of rural looking land. What you are looking at is the great trinity forest, that the city decided long ago to leave as a large natural area and floodplain.
Nope. I'm talking about the actual city of dallas where folks live. Look at the area where paul quinn college is located and tell me thats "urban"? It was in the news recently that there are parts of the city that dont even have sewers. Kinda hard to be a model of urbanity when your residents are still on septic systems. Hell, the fair park area looks like a small, poor country town. Look at Pleasant Grove....nothing "city" about it. Same goes for coming into dallas from the west on i30.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Thank you!
Dallas is winning like I forecast it to be the number 3 spot and Houstonians have childish ways when it come to Dallas being more important.You in Illinois must have never been out of the state thinking Dallas is anything less then what I said ha ha ha.

Dallas is doing big things and Houston,Atlanta,Chicago and etc.......need to get out of town more why Dallas is metro 7million strong and coming for Chicago spot.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Nope. I'm talking about the actual city of dallas where folks live. Look at the area where paul quinn college is located and tell me thats "urban"? It was in the news recently that there are parts of the city that dont even have sewers. Kinda hard to be a model of urbanity when your residents are still on septic systems. Hell, the fair park area looks like a small, poor country town. Look at Pleasant Grove....nothing "city" about it. Same goes for coming into dallas from the west on i30.
This is why my mom calls Dallas a giant Waco. Her extent of the city is mostly south of I30 though. Once you get north of it, that's when it begins to look like a large city. But South of i30 looks like a small country town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City