Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 9,489 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, hope you're having a beautiful day. This is my first post on City-Data. I'm usually just an avid reader, especially in the Virginia section (whoop! whoop! ), but I decided to create an account. Right now I'm in college with two years to go (Junior) and I was thinking about moving to Florida or Hawaii. As of right now, I'm starting my savings this summer. Living in Virginia for 20 years, I want a new scenery and vibe..while also having the opportunity of getting a good job. I do know both states are vastly different. Hawaii's cost of living is EXTREMELY high, while Florida has a high crime rate and its notorious Stand Your Ground law. I would be 23, if everything goes well, fresh out of college. Ultimately, I would have to make the decision. I just wanted some expert opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,349,586 times
You should focus on completing college first and find out what your degree promises you before you decide to move, especially with those options you gave. Hawaii is expensive and Florida tends to be unpleasant if you're unprepared or not knowing what you're doing.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,640,212 times
Mercedes vs. Chevrolet

Hawaii's high COL and remote location largely keep the riffraff out, which is why it has way less crime and bizarre goings-on than Florida. Hawaii also has prettier scenery, better weather, and a better educated populace than Florida, but probably a worse economy. People are happier, healthier/fitter, more nature/outdoors-oriented, and more progressive in Hawaii, too.

People in Florida, OTOH, are all shades of angry, deviant, and/or just plain bizarre. Rudeness, incivility, and aggression abound in Florida, esp. in the southern half of the state. Remember that Florida is a sunny place for shady people.

Aside from a few major differences (weather, topography, economy), Florida isn't markedly different from Virginia whereas Hawaii is, albeit much farther away. At the end of the day, it really depends on how much of a change you're looking for and how far you're willing to move away from home/your family.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,959,341 times
All these states need to be knocked off your list if stand your ground laws are an important factor in deciding where to move.
Alaska
Arizona
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
West Virginia

As for where to move. Worry about finishing college and finding a job first where you can get a job where dictate where you move. Not where you move. It does not work like that anymore.

If you are think about graduate school that is a little different.

Neither job is a hot stop for starting your career, especially Hawaii.

What would help us is what do you want to do or what are you studying. Honestly it is hard to give much advice given how little we know about you.

Florida is Florida. It is more like a typical U.S. state, no state income taxes, has three large cities in Miami, Orlando and Tampa. Each has its own distinct feel. Crime is not a "major" issue. Yes crime rates are high as they are in most large U.S. cities but unless you plan on living in the high crime areas it is usually not a big issue, as in most large U.S. cities.

What do you want to know about Florida?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone, I do know two years is a long time and many things can happen within that time period. I'm just doing a little brainstorming beforehand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
All these states need to be knocked off your list if stand your ground laws are an important factor in deciding where to move.
Alaska
Arizona
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
West Virginia

As for where to move. Worry about finishing college and finding a job first where you can get a job where dictate where you move. Not where you move. It does not work like that anymore.

If you are think about graduate school that is a little different.

Neither job is a hot stop for starting your career, especially Hawaii.

What would help us is what do you want to do or what are you studying. Honestly it is hard to give much advice given how little we know about you.

Florida is Florida. It is more like a typical U.S. state, no state income taxes, has three large cities in Miami, Orlando and Tampa. Each has its own distinct feel. Crime is not a "major" issue. Yes crime rates are high as they are in most large U.S. cities but unless you plan on living in the high crime areas it is usually not a big issue, as in most large U.S. cities.

What do you want to know about Florida?
Thanks for the solid advice so far! None of those states you listed are for me, even without the Stand Your Ground law. Honestly, I didn't know so many states have this law. But I major in mass communication, so it's a very broad field. It ranges from broadcast journalism to working for a typical communication department in a company. I don't know if there are many jobs located in Florida, regarding my field of study. Florida always interested me because of its temperate climate, activities, and nightlife.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,273,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Eh. It does still work like that if you work hard and network while you're still an undergrad. I recently graduated from school in Florida, and just accepted a job offer with a company in Arizona. I have friends who will be working in Texas, New York, Oklahoma, Georgia, and California. The difference between them and others is that they started searching for post-grad opportunities in junior and senior year while most others waited until a month or 2 before graduation. If you have any internships, see if management can get you an "in" at a different regional office. Or seek out summer internships in your desired location; they may want to hire you once you graduate. The most important thing is do not wait; as soon as senior year starts, you should be working at full force looking for a job.

That being said, don't fly too close to the sun. All of your job applications could fall through. Try to have something in the works close to home while you search for things elsewhere. There was a large corporation in my area that hired a large number of college grads. I went through their application and interview process right up until the very end, when I found out the other company was offering me a job. There is always the possibility that your first job can offer you the option to change offices within the first 6 months.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:07 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,161,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian757 View Post
Hello everyone, hope you're having a beautiful day. This is my first post on City-Data. I'm usually just an avid reader, especially in the Virginia section (whoop! whoop! ), but I decided to create an account. Right now I'm in college with two years to go (Junior) and I was thinking about moving to Florida or Hawaii. As of right now, I'm starting my savings this summer. Living in Virginia for 20 years, I want a new scenery and vibe..while also having the opportunity of getting a good job. I do know both states are vastly different. Hawaii's cost of living is EXTREMELY high, while Florida has a high crime rate and its notorious Stand Your Ground law. I would be 23, if everything goes well, fresh out of college. Ultimately, I would have to make the decision. I just wanted some expert opinions...
I have every reason to like HI, being a tropical place etc.., but I would think FL is a better place in terms or jobs, COL, you wouldn't feel as isolated/confined, more stuff to do (unless you are a nature freak or scuba diver or something to that extent). If you have good marketable skills, FL would be a better option of the two, at least to start).

Just look at what some of the locals say..

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattdekneef/...understan-cskf

""""Ikaika Bishop · Kaneohe, Hawaii
Very offensive. You wannah here about our problems I have a few.....
1. The house you grew up in was $40,000 40 years ago, and now is $600,000 and a quonset hut.
2. All your Aunties and Uncles have moved away cuz no mo jobs.
3. Your grandfather no go beach anymore cuz no more he`e,limu, or i`a in the sea.
4. And what get left all foreigners gonna fill their coolers and go market.
5. Baby lu`au means chicken katsu and kal bi!!??
6. Want to buy a home in your backyard...... go mainland for 20 years and make a million dollars first. Then move home to find everything you loved has been paved over and your street has a stop light.
."""""

Btw, only a moron would compare a state of 20 million to a state(cluster of islands) of 1.5 million (see 3rd post)? If HI had 20 million people, it would've ended up being a tricycle, not a Mercedes.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Eh. It does still work like that if you work hard and network while you're still an undergrad. I recently graduated from school in Florida, and just accepted a job offer with a company in Arizona. I have friends who will be working in Texas, New York, Oklahoma, Georgia, and California. The difference between them and others is that they started searching for post-grad opportunities in junior and senior year while most others waited until a month or 2 before graduation. If you have any internships, see if management can get you an "in" at a different regional office. Or seek out summer internships in your desired location; they may want to hire you once you graduate. The most important thing is do not wait; as soon as senior year starts, you should be working at full force looking for a job.

That being said, don't fly too close to the sun. All of your job applications could fall through. Try to have something in the works close to home while you search for things elsewhere. There was a large corporation in my area that hired a large number of college grads. I went through their application and interview process right up until the very end, when I found out the other company was offering me a job. There is always the possibility that your first job can offer you the option to change offices within the first 6 months.
Thanks! I'm starting to network, intern, and research as to what my options are this year. I have to be ahead of the curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
I have every reason to like HI, being a tropical place etc.., but I would think FL is a better place in terms or jobs, COL, you wouldn't feel as isolated/confined, more stuff to do (unless you are a nature freak or scuba diver or something to that extent). If you have good marketable skills, FL would be a better option of the two, at least to start).

Just look at what some of the locals say..

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattdekneef/...understan-cskf

""""Ikaika Bishop · Kaneohe, Hawaii
Very offensive. You wannah here about our problems I have a few.....
1. The house you grew up in was $40,000 40 years ago, and now is $600,000 and a quonset hut.
2. All your Aunties and Uncles have moved away cuz no mo jobs.
3. Your grandfather no go beach anymore cuz no more he`e,limu, or i`a in the sea.
4. And what get left all foreigners gonna fill their coolers and go market.
5. Baby lu`au means chicken katsu and kal bi!!??
6. Want to buy a home in your backyard...... go mainland for 20 years and make a million dollars first. Then move home to find everything you loved has been paved over and your street has a stop light.
."""""

Btw, only a moron would compare a state of 20 million to a state(cluster of islands) of 1.5 million (see 3rd post)? If HI had 20 million people, it would've ended up being a tricycle, not a Mercedes.
The house you grew up in was $40,000 40 years ago, and now is $600,000 and a quonset hut. Inflation is that high in Hawaii!?!?! Wow. I knew the cost of living was high, but not that outrageous. I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to purchase a house for 300,000 or below. Along with housing, I'm sure insurance, utilities etc. are at sky rocket pricing . But yeah, Florida is looking like a "better" goal for me in life...even though Hawaii is beautiful.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,959,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian757 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone, I do know two years is a long time and many things can happen within that time period. I'm just doing a little brainstorming beforehand.

Thanks for the solid advice so far! None of those states you listed are for me, even without the Stand Your Ground law. Honestly, I didn't know so many states have this law. But I major in mass communication, so it's a very broad field. It ranges from broadcast journalism to working for a typical communication department in a company. I don't know if there are many jobs located in Florida, regarding my field of study. Florida always interested me because of its temperate climate, activities, and nightlife.
Well my best advice is see if you can get summer internships in Florida and spend the summer here and see how you like it. Of course you want to get an internship anyway for more work experience and a possible job offer. Really don't know much about that field.

Florida is a big state of course and Miami, Tampa and Orlando, the three biggest cities in the state (Jacksonville is big too but not like those three) are all very different with Miami being nothing like Orlando and Tampa.

I know nothing about Hawaii though, besides for it being very expensive.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:17 PM

546 posts, read 814,336 times
Hawaii is beautiful but you'll never find a decent job there, the cost of livig is very high and it is isolated (5 hours to the mainland by plane).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City