Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:30 PM

89 posts, read 140,567 times

Advertisements

I really don't have a question or a opinion to proclaim here but after seeing this link on NPR about how far a paycheck stretches in different metros I noticed that you can get far more bang for your buck in "non-trendy cities" vs "trendy" cities. For example, I noticed that a paycheck feels a lot less on in the Northeast, West Coast, and only two Midwestern Cities such as Chicago or the Twin Cities. However, you get the most bang for your buck in almost everywhere in the Midwest.

The link

How Far Your Paycheck Goes, In 356 U.S. Cities : Planet Money : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 09:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
The Northeast isn't really that expensive. Rent is a little more costly, but public transportation can really give you a reason to ditch your car. And if you have a car, you probably dont need to drive it to work as transit options are solid enough. Also food and sales tax is cheaper. And unless you want to live in the most upscale neighborhoods, rent is reasonable. I think Manhattan kind of give people the perception that the Northeast is out of control expensive when its not. Chicago is cheap compared to other big cities.

The West Coast is by far the most expensive area. And there is very little to offset the high rent and property. Not only are normal people priced out of buying homes in decent neighborhoods, but transit sucks out West. So you need to drive way more often, which means car notes and gas. There is no other option but to drive. Public transit out west is a headache.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:53 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
As the saying goes, "There's the coasts and everyone else". That really sums it up.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The Northeast isn't really that expensive. Rent is a little more costly, but public transportation can really give you a reason to ditch your car. And if you have a car, you probably dont need to drive it to work as transit options are solid enough. Also food and sales tax is cheaper. And unless you want to live in the most upscale neighborhoods, rent is reasonable. I think Manhattan kind of give people the perception that the Northeast is out of control expensive when its not. Chicago is cheap compared to other big cities.

The West Coast is by far the most expensive area. And there is very little to offset the high rent and property. Not only are normal people priced out of buying homes in decent neighborhoods, but transit sucks out West. So you need to drive way more often, which means car notes and gas. There is no other option but to drive. Public transit out west is a headache.
I'm glad you brought up Chicago being cheaper than the cities on the coasts. I'm going to be done with school in the fall and I'm debating between Indianapolis and Chicago (as my main options). Every time I talk to people about it, I almost always get the line "Chicago costs so much more." While on the surface that is true but a lot of people don't seem to realize I could get by in Chicago without a car whereas in Indy, I would need a car.

However to your point on the public transit on the West Coast, my understanding is that public transportation only sucks in SoCal, where as the BART in the Bay Area and the public transportation in Seattle and Portland is decent.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
You really needed NPR to figure this out?

Old 05-24-2014, 10:04 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
I wouldn't be too surprised if my $10 goes farther in some poor rural town in Mississippi than NYC.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 PM

loooooooooool

Old 05-24-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
You really needed NPR to figure this out?
Not really. I just thought it would be nice to share because someone--ie not everyone--may find it interesting.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Obviously a paycheck will go farther in a cheaper city vs an expensive one.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:52 PM

lol x2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City