U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Overall most diverse/international/cosmopolitan?
Montreal 59 53.64%
Boston 37 33.64%
Philadelphia 14 12.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 03-31-2015, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,571 posts, read 25,628,850 times
Reputation: 8094

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopieheadman View Post
So essentially based on your own personal anecdotal "evidence" and not anything actually quantifiable.

Exactly what I thought. Thanks.
Vibrancy, unlike density, is impossible to quantify.

But that still doesn't mean that two places with equal density will necessarily have equal vibrancy.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 AM
 
206 posts, read 266,128 times
Reputation: 199
It's hard to argue that Montreal is more cosmopolitan than Boston. Boston is a mecca for top international students and research, an internationally recognized financial center, it has at least two of the most highly regarded universities in the world, the number one or two biotech center in the world, world recognized medical facilities. Montreal is no longer the alpha city in Canada (a country with less than 30 M people) trailing Toronto by a large margin and it may trail Vancouver as well as a center in Canada. It has a unique vibe, but as a worldly/cosmopolitan city, it certainly trails Boston, except perhaps on CD.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,571 posts, read 25,628,850 times
Reputation: 8094
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
It's hard to argue that Montreal is more cosmopolitan than Boston. Boston is a mecca for top international students and research, an internationally recognized financial center, it has at least two of the most highly regarded universities in the world, the number one or two biotech center in the world, world recognized medical facilities. Montreal is no longer the alpha city in Canada (a country with less than 30 M people) trailing Toronto by a large margin and it may trail Vancouver as well as a center in Canada. It has a unique vibe, but as a worldly/cosmopolitan city, it certainly trails Boston, except perhaps on CD.
Seriously?

BTW Canada has about 35 million people. Not that I really pay attention to such things, but it's a fact.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 05:12 AM
 
1,132 posts, read 1,771,116 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopieheadman View Post
So essentially based on your own personal anecdotal "evidence" and not anything actually quantifiable.

Exactly what I thought. Thanks.
I'd agree with the vibrancy statement. It's quite noticeable that people come out of their house more in Montreal particularly for leisure.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 09:13 PM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Reputation: 5411
Plenty of European cities have lower density than Philly, but are more vibrant. A lot of it is zoning, transit and layout of the city. Prague only has a density of around 6400, but more vibrant than most cities in the U.S.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,341,283 times
Reputation: 3539
People crack me up who try to knock Philadelphia for it's vibrancy... especially someone from dead-after-five Atlanta. Philadelphia is an extremely vibrant city. ESPECIALLY for US standards.

I can't speak for Montreal since I've never been, but Philly is definitely more vibrant than Boston. It's not a wide margin but you'll find more people out and about in Philly and over a larger area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 08:14 AM
 
Location: The City
21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Reputation: 7489
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
People crack me up who try to knock Philadelphia for it's vibrancy... especially someone from dead-after-five Atlanta. Philadelphia is an extremely vibrant city. ESPECIALLY for US standards.

I can't speak for Montreal since I've never been, but Philly is definitely more vibrant than Boston. It's not a wide margin but you'll find more people out and about in Philly and over a larger area.

I think they are pretty close, I don't think a wide margin but today do think that Philly is a little more so, in the past would have said Boston

Montreal is very vibrant, especially its core, you should visit you would love it, almost a little like going to Europe without leaving North America. Canadian cities on average have better vibrancy than most US cities, especially for their size IMHO
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 PM
 
Location: East Coast
678 posts, read 639,458 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
though its majorly monolingually French
I'd have to disagree there. It's majorly a French-as-a-first-language city, but the majority of people are functionally bilingual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Also, regarding consulates, Philadelphia's position sandwiched between the Nation's Capital and New York- the largest city and home of the UN certainly hurts. Many nations that would otherwise have a consulate there probably feel that they already have a solid presence near enough to Philadelphia.
Great point. Similarly but to a lesser extent, Montreal is only 2 hours away from Ottawa, which is the nation's capital.

I'd give a slight edge to Montreal for diversity, a virtual tie between Boston and Montreal for being cosmopolitan, and a solid edge to Boston for being more economically international. I don't know Philly well enough to be certain but from my impression I'd rank it last in all 3.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Boston
7,336 posts, read 15,302,120 times
Reputation: 8622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
I'd have to disagree there. It's majorly a French-as-a-first-language city, but the majority of people are functionally bilingual.
Absolutely. This is true in/around Montreal more so than in most other parts of Quebec (except maybe right on the border) in my experience. It's even harder to find multilingual (or at least those willing to speak English) in Quebec City.

I remember stopping in Saint-Georges to photograph a church on a drive between Portland, ME and Quebec City. I stopped in a bank (this was my first stop on the Canadian side of the border), a cheese shop, and a restaurant. Not a word of English. It was a far cry from my experiences in Montreal where most people can converse in English.

Quote:
Great point. Similarly but to a lesser extent, Montreal is only 2 hours away from Ottawa, which is the nation's capital.
This is true and I didn't think of that. Would the proximity to Quebec City (the Provincial capital), also hurt?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
183 posts, read 166,762 times
Reputation: 107
Philadelphia is just as cosmopolitan as Montreal and CONSIDERABLY more than Boston.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top