U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Traffic
Los Angeles Area 26 57.78%
New York-Connecticut-New Jersey-Pennsylvania Area 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2014, 10:10 PM

2,201 posts, read 4,002,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm ok. I'm not familiar with LA traffic at all, so I'll admit I'm guessing. We need someone who's familiar with both (hard to find?) or real data.
I'd like to see some real data too, just don't have time or the energy to research it.

Living in both cities, I will have to agree with another poster in that LA's traffic is more vulnerable to 'WTF', deadlocked traffic jams at ridiculous hours. It often seems in LA that all it takes is a small orange cone, a broken down car on the side of the road, or a small fender bender to back up traffic for miles and miles.

In New York - traffic seemed to move during rush hour a little quicker.... but cars moved rather slowly at ALL HOURS.

I can say there are many streets (even during rush hour) in LA where traffic moves relatively freely and quickly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times
One thing about LA is the suburbs also get really bad traffic on the freeways and arterial streets. For instance my neighborhood in Pasadena gets awful rush hour traffic and is one of many areas 7+ miles from the core that get really congested (i.e. Beverly Hills, South Bay, Burbank, Hollywood, West LA / 405, 101 in the Valley). Orange County also has some heavy congestion on their freeways - though theirs are nicer and wider (not to mention much lower density) so I think traffic flows better down there a little bit.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,742 posts, read 39,635,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post

In New York - traffic seemed to move during rush hour a little quicker.... but cars moved rather slowly at ALL HOURS.

I can say there are many streets (even during rush hour) in LA where traffic moves relatively freely and quickly.
The fact NYC expressways (we call freeways expreessways out here) have a speed limit of 50 mph, and at least one has 45 mph, and traffic usually doesn't move that much faster.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,742 posts, read 39,635,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
One thing about LA is the suburbs also get really bad traffic on the freeways and arterial streets. For instance my neighborhood in Pasadena gets awful rush hour traffic and is one of many areas 7+ miles from the core that get really congested (i.e. Beverly Hills, South Bay, Burbank, Hollywood, West LA / 405, 101 in the Valley). Orange County also has some heavy congestion on their freeways - though theirs are nicer and wider (not to mention much lower density) so I think traffic flows better down there a little bit.
NYC suburbs don't exactly have good traffic flow either. Northern Boulvard about 13 miles east of the core is jammed everytime I've been on it. And then there's the Long Island Parking Lot...

Old 05-28-2014, 12:25 AM

11,898 posts, read 9,620,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My guess:

1) LA is worse in rush hour.
2) Outside of rush hour, NYC is more prone to random jams.

The busiest NYC routes are mainly carried by rail, so there's isn't as much as a Manhattan peak as one might expect, though the bridges and tunnels are traffic chokepoints. Outside the expressways, it's no contest. NYC arterials are narrower and slower going (more lights, random chaos). Local roads are very slow.
Agreed. Even Staten Island sucks and is prone to this. It's obvious most roads were built before the population boomed when they built the VZ.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,024,967 times
After looking up worst traffic, NYC usually falls at #4-6, with a few ranking it at #20-24. LA was either #1 or #2, falling behind Washington DC.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:03 PM

11,898 posts, read 9,620,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
After looking up worst traffic, NYC usually falls at #4-6, with a few ranking it at #20-24. LA was either #1 or #2, falling behind Washington DC.
This is probably because NYC and its surrounding area has much better, more effective, more used mass transit than LA. If NYC had awful mass transit compared to what it actually has, it would be #1 in traffic. No question there IMO. The fact that 4/5 of it is an island makes it hell now, imagine it with no subways (MTA, PATH), trains (NJT, LIRR, MetroNorth), multiple ferry lines, and buses. I can't even imagine that. We'd need way more bridges and tunnels…

And our mass transit options could definitely use improvements. For one, the NJ-NY train connection could use more tunnels, so more NJT lines can go direct to Manhattan rather than requiring a switch at Newark. Also, Amtrak shares those lines and tunnels, causing more train traffic. If we fixed this problem, I bet some traffic would alleviate. More people could use mass transit.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:45 PM

11,416 posts, read 13,961,436 times
LA just seems to be congested at all hours, evenings, holidays and weekends.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 AM

11,035 posts, read 13,376,134 times
I-95 in Fairfield County, CT is the WORST. I have to suffer in it every day. It's actually one of the reasons I'm dying to move out of the area very soon. It takes me 40 minutes just to get home, which is a 9-mile commute. My right foot is in pain as we speak, from constant movement between the gas pedal and brake pedal. This place is atrocious, the traffic is among the worst I've ever experienced in the nation. I can't wait to move out this summer.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 AM

7,338 posts, read 15,305,855 times
I've driven a lot more in NY/NJ/CT than in LA. However, even in my small sample size, LA's traffic seemed significantly worse. Maybe it's perspective. I drive to New York City almost every time, but once I'm there, I use a combination of public transportation and uber (usually later at night), so I spend less time behind the wheel on the roads. LA has better transportation options than many here give it credit for, but it's so spread out that I find myself driving from place to place within the Greater LA area all the time. As a result, I spend more time sitting in traffic. If I drove around New York a little more while I was there, I may consider them comparable. But since I don't, LA's traffic feels worse to me, even if it isn't in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or