U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Traffic
Los Angeles Area 26 57.78%
New York-Connecticut-New Jersey-Pennsylvania Area 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,751 posts, read 39,697,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think Brooklyn traffic is all that bad. Car commuting is not prevalent. And there aren't many large job centers.

I will take Manhattan traffic over DC traffic honestly.
The BQE can rather bad even off hours. Belt Parkway can even be gnarly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6537.../data=!5m1!1e1

both currently have jams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 05:02 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Schuylkill Expressway in Philly is another stretch that's just outdated and terrible.
I think what makes the Schuylkill Expressway so terrible is the combination of the low-visibility twists and turns and the unpredictable stop-and-go traffic. I can't tell you how many times I've driven down that stretch and would come around a blind curve to a row of red brake lights and would have to slam on my brakes to avoid having a collision.

A lot of the early highways that were built before the DOTs perfected the engineering suffer from the same problems. Here in LA, the 110 freeway between DTLA and Pasadena (one of the first freeways ever built I believe) is just as bad as I-76 through Philly. Actually, I'd say the dangerously short exit ramps in Highland Park make it even worse. I can't remember which one it was, but I know I've driven on a highway in Brooklyn that also had those crazy-short exit ramps. Gotta pay attention driving those

There has been talk here about turning that stretch of the 110 into a signalized boulevard, adding bike lanes, wide sidewalks...the whole "complete streets" treatment. The car culture crowd here would probably go apesh*t if it happens, but I hope they go through with it.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:37 AM

11,907 posts, read 9,641,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The BQE can rather bad even off hours. Belt Parkway can even be gnarly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6537.../data=!5m1!1e1

both currently have jams.
Yes, both are pretty bad. Not sure what Bajan is talking about with this one…

Old 05-31-2014, 10:02 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,141,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I often see LA behind DC too. Honestly, having lived just outside of DC (Kensington MD), I didn't think DC was much worse than many major cities in the country. Definitely not LA. Probably not even New York.
Dude, traffic in the DC area is BRUTAL. It is truly awful and soul sucking day in and day out sitting in traffic non-stop.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:56 PM

190 posts, read 354,815 times
From my experience driving in both metros, New York is much worst than Los Angeles metro. Surface street traffic in Manhattan is the worst I've experience in any city in the US and Canada. That's not to say isn't bad, but to me it's a breeze compared to New York.

I also worked with a number of ex NY'ers who live in the LA area who has also said when the conversation comes up NY traffic is much worse. In fact they mentioned they cannot understand why Angeleno's complain so much about how bad traffic is, and then they added they apparently never been to New York.

I've driven around NY on a weekdays and weekend both in the city and the suburbs of Long Island, and upstate NY (Westchester County). The L.I.E. to me was like the 10, 60, and 91 but slightly worse. The only time I remember the L.I.E. not too bad was a holiday weekend like Memorial Day when everyone leave town, and late evening going towards the city in the middle of winter.

Don't even try to cross over into New Jersey through the Holland Tunnel, it took me 45 minutes to go two blocks just to enter the tunnel. I was ready to hurt somebody as I was so on edge by the time we crossed over. Not to mention driving the Long Island Expressway on a Sunday into the city, it took us three hours to drive from Brentwood to Manhattan. I've never experience anything like this in LA unless there was an accident, or god forbid it rains and then there is an accident. In New York that is normal everyday for the most part if you driving a car around the metro.

I will admit there are parts of LA where street traffic is awful, but mostly during rush hour. Don't even try to drive to Glendale on the streets from downtown LA. It can be almost as bad as streets in Manhattan. Santa Monica and parts of the west side of LA street traffic is pretty bad as well. Also parts of Orange County, such as Costa Mesa (especially Harbor Blvd), Newport Beach the area around Fashion Island is horrible, Huntington Beach (mainly PCH) can all test your patience for sure. Granted I'm only talking about street traffic, but all of the freeways in Orange County and very congested and probably has more volume of traffic than NY metro but O.C freeways are designed to handle more cars which makes is a bit more tolerable than what I've experience in New York.

Last edited by LA Fan; 05-31-2014 at 02:06 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,751 posts, read 39,697,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Don't even try to cross over into New Jersey through the Holland Tunnel, it took me 45 minutes to go two blocks just to enter the tunnel. I was ready to hurt somebody as I was so on edge by the time we crossed over. Not to mention driving the Long Island Expressway on a Sunday into the city, it took us three hours to drive from Brentwood to Manhattan. I've never experience anything like this in LA unless there was an accident, or god forbid it rains and then there is an accident. In New York that is normal everyday for the most part if you driving a car around the metro.
Three hours from Brentwood to Manhattan on a weekend is extreme. Half that is normal. You probably had bad timing. Still, the LIE is one of the worse roads anywhere.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 AM

588 posts, read 1,042,435 times
LA's traffic is really bad. I think the worst traffic I have ever been in is getting out of downtown SF at rush hour onto the bay bridge going towards the east bay. Total gridlock. I haven't had a chance to drive around NYC that much but I suspect their traffic is horrible also.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 PM

7,347 posts, read 15,324,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Dude, traffic in the DC area is BRUTAL. It is truly awful and soul sucking day in and day out sitting in traffic non-stop.
I'm not saying it's not brutal (it is), just that I don't think it's worse than what I've experienced in LA.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:23 PM

27,626 posts, read 24,839,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, both are pretty bad. Not sure what Bajan is talking about with this one…
Attention to the underlined and bolded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I would imagine the densest and most jobs-rich areas of Los Angeles probably have surface-street congestion similar to what you see in Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,761,546 times
I think it should be LA vs. DC. Both cities flip flop for the worst traffic in the country.

Tri-state area is no picnic for traffic jams though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or