U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:47 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,259,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Seattle is not the fastest growing city in the US. Austin, Charlotte, Denver, and Washington are all growing faster, and by MSA, it's behind Austin, Raleigh, Houston, San Antonio, Orlando, Denver, Dallas, Washington, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, and Nashville.

Here's Seattle's transit plan:

Here's Minneapolis's (does not include current or proposed commuter rail - the Northstar line currently operates between Minneapolis and Big Lake, the Red Rock Line is proposed between Minneapolis and Hastings, and the Rush Line is proposed between St. Paul and Hinckley):

I don't know where to look for Denver, San Diego, or Phoenix.
I think they where talking fastest growing city not metro like it says and what the thread is about . Seattle was t he fastest growing city in 2013 with out any annexation .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 02:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Is this accurate? I've never heard of Seattle being the fastest growing city in the country.
According to the CBS article linked Seattle is the fastest growing city based on increase in population between 2012 2013. I was surprised as well, although Seattle does seem to be urbanizing at a pretty remarkable pace.

[url]http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2014/05/22/seattle-is-nations-fastest-growing-major-city/[/url]

Also, I think Seattle's transit expansion does have the highest ridership projections by a good margin, since the system is largely underground or elevated and has more capacity. Still, projections are projections, so I think it's a bit early to know how that will all pan out.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:35 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,928,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanObservor View Post
Seattle is the fastest growing city in the Country: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...city-in-the-us
Seattle Is Nation’s Fastest-Growing Major City « CBS Seattle

It has added the most new multi-family units of any of these cities in the last decade and has the most permitted units as well. About Seattle - Land Use - Seattle Department of Planning and Development

And it has the most ambitious approved and planned rail transportation system of these cities (With 240K ridership projected within the next 10 years): http://www.soundtransit.org/Document...2_Plan_web.pdf
I heard the transit funding was voted down....

Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM

274 posts, read 566,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I heard the transit funding was voted down....
The Sound Transit 2 package including the aforementioned extensions for light rail was voted on and approved in 2008. The result will be a 55 mile light rail system with daily ridership around 280,000.

The funding you are thinking of was a county-wide vote to fill a hole in the budget of King County Metro (separate agency) created by the recession. If nothing changes, there will be cuts to King County's bus system. However, a Seattle-only plan will go to the ballot this fall that is almost assured to pass. It will preserve and maybe even slighty grow service in Seattle. Seeing as that's where most of the high ridership routes are, effects on ridership will likely be negligible. The Seattle area is sort of unique among peer cities in that there are multiple large bus operators in the region, including KC metro, Community Transit, Pierce Transit, and Sound Transit among others. All of those with the exception of Pierce Transit operate routes into the city of Seattle itself.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:51 PM

5,377 posts, read 7,673,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Chicago View Post
According to the CBS article linked Seattle is the fastest growing city based on increase in population between 2012 2013. I was surprised as well, although Seattle does seem to be urbanizing at a pretty remarkable pace.

Seattle Is Nation’s Fastest-Growing Major City « CBS Seattle

Also, I think Seattle's transit expansion does have the highest ridership projections by a good margin, since the system is largely underground or elevated and has more capacity. Still, projections are projections, so I think it's a bit early to know how that will all pan out.
Oh, okay. I see now.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:38 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,631,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I think they where talking fastest growing city not metro like it says and what the thread is about . Seattle was t he fastest growing city in 2013 with out any annexation .
Fastest growing in 2013 alone, but that's just one year. I'm looking at data since the 2010 census (just for a better sense of trends). Currently, the fastest growing major city and metro in the US is Austin by a longshot.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:25 AM

1 posts, read 870 times
Seattle is going through some amazing growth right now. As this article says, there are over 11,000 new apartments and condos hitting the market in the relatively near future.

[url]http://seattle.curbed.com/archives/2014/06/mapping-seattles-11138-upcoming-apartments-condos.php[/url]

Old 06-16-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCityLife View Post
Seattle is going through some amazing growth right now. As this article says, there are over 11,000 new apartments and condos hitting the market in the relatively near future.

Mapping Seattle's 11,138 Upcoming Apartments & Condos - Building Expectations - Curbed Seattle
To quote from one of the articles in the link above: "That's the 7,366 apartment units under construction on the left and the 4,414 apartment units approved on the right."

Those are FANTASTIC #'s, and it definitely stands to reason that Seattle is leaps and bounds ahead of its peer cities, however, here are the #'s I have for Minneapolis for those same two metrics:

6,333 units under construction
2,226 units approved

*Note: these are the projects I personally track and update when I have time, and do not necessarily encompass everything, or the latest status. Meaning the total #'s are likely higher, but probably not by more than maybe 5%. These figures are for the City of Minneapolis only, not the surrounding areas like St. Paul or inner-ring suburbs like St. Louis Park, Bloomington or Edina.

I'd imagine that Denver and San Diego are in a similar ballpark between 8,000 and 10,000 units under construction or approved as well. I don't know where Phoenix stands but I know/think that it's the fastest-growing metro among the five listed (or close to it), it's just that a larger % of the units in the Phoenix area are being added in the suburbs.

TRANSLATION: Each and every one of the five (peer) cities being compared here are doing incredibly well!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:34 AM

274 posts, read 566,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
To quote from one of the articles in the link above: "That's the 7,366 apartment units under construction on the left and the 4,414 apartment units approved on the right."

Those are FANTASTIC #'s, and it definitely stands to reason that Seattle is leaps and bounds ahead of its peer cities, however, here are the #'s I have for Minneapolis for those same two metrics:

6,333 units under construction
2,226 units approved

*Note: these are the projects I personally track and update when I have time, and do not necessarily encompass everything, or the latest status. Meaning the total #'s are likely higher, but probably not by more than maybe 5%. These figures are for the City of Minneapolis only, not the surrounding areas like St. Paul or inner-ring suburbs like St. Louis Park, Bloomington or Edina.

I'd imagine that Denver and San Diego are in a similar ballpark between 8,000 and 10,000 units under construction or approved as well. I don't know where Phoenix stands but I know/think that it's the fastest-growing metro among the five listed (or close to it), it's just that a larger % of the units in the Phoenix area are being added in the suburbs.

TRANSLATION: Each and every one of the five (peer) cities being compared here are doing incredibly well!
Those are impressive numbers for Minneapolis! A little more than I would have thought. Hopefully the momentum will result in some more residential highrise projects.

Those numbers are off for Seattle though. Per the article you got the numbers from, it claims a little over 500 apartments under construction in Ballard/Fremont and Capitol Hill as well as a little over 1000 in South Lake Union. Those are off by thousands. Capitol Hill alone has over 2500 under construction, with over 2000 approved. Capitol Hill is in the midst of a huge boom, but it definitely isn't home to half of the approved units in the city. I believe the city-wide total, under construction only, is somewhere in the 15,000 ballpark.

https://www.djc.com/news/re/12065787.html

Mapping the 26 apartment buildings under construction on Capitol Hill (and the 21 planned to follow) | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle

SeattleScape » Blog Archive » Biggest boom ever?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:26 PM

I can't substantiate the 15,000 metric from those links, but that would be astronomical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or