U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM

5,379 posts, read 7,687,576 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about the other cities, but Denver is a very up and coming city. The commuter rail to the airport and light rail to the northern part of the metro should be done in about 2 years. Pretty cool! The Union Station update is also really awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:30 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,184,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I don't know much about the other cities, but Denver is a very up and coming city. The commuter rail to the airport and light rail to the northern part of the metro should be done in about 2 years. Pretty cool! The Union Station update is also really awesome.
The commuter rail to the airport is going to be wonderful. The Union Station development is very cool.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:42 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 29 days ago)

10,330 posts, read 10,482,852 times
Is there a plan to improve the I-70 corridor through Denver? Sort of an I-70 version of T-REX?

Old 05-29-2014, 06:58 AM

574 posts, read 845,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
There's way, way too much to list for what's happening in the Twin Cities right now, so I'll just provide the link to our local development forum:

UrbanMSP
What the twin cities has going on is relatively small compared to denver and seattle. The twin cities always has to lag behind other cities and keeps falling farther behind.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,939,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
What the twin cities has going on is relatively small compared to denver and seattle. The twin cities always has to lag behind other cities and keeps falling farther behind.
I get what you're saying but do you have any statistics to back this claim? For instance, in Minneapolis alone I'm tracking over 12,000 units of residential activity in the pipeline that was recently completed, under construction, or approved, the rest are Proposed or in Planning stages -- ~17,000 units in over 100 new structures in all (not including renovations like The Soo Line Building or Pillsburty A-Mill projects and the like -- which aren't new structures). If you assumed the average new ground-up building took up a quarter of a block it'd be like building up 25 vacant blocks with 5 to 36 story apartments. If it were all on one street it would be over 3 miles long on both sides.

This does not include Office, Hotel, Retail or Other space (e.g. the new Vikings Stadium, Wells Fargo HQ, Excel Energy HQ, etc.). Then there's St. Paul (but Seattle has Bellevue, Denver has [??]). Plus, I can't possibly track it all and I know I'm missing many smaller infill projects.

I think we're doing okay, and it's not a race. I'd rather the projects being built today get filled up than to have a huge glut in vacant space for the next 10-15 years. I know this is the trepidation when it comes to condo or office development today, and unlike some of our sexier neighbors like Seattle or San Diego the Twin Cities do not typically see much of any speculative development, national or international. I'm okay with that, for the most part.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 05-29-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 08:30 AM

574 posts, read 845,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I get what you're saying but do you have any statistics to back this claim? For instance, in Minneapolis alone I'm tracking over 12,000 units of residential activity in the pipeline that was recently completed, under construction, or approved, the rest are Proposed or in Planning stages -- ~17,000 units in over 100 new structures in all (not including renovations like The Soo Line Building or Pillsburty A-Mill projects and the like -- which aren't new structures). If you assumed the average new ground-up building took up a quarter of a block it'd be like building up 25 vacant blocks with 5 to 36 story apartments. If it were all on one street it would be over 3 miles long on both sides.

This does not include Office, Hotel, Retail or Other space (e.g. the new Vikings Stadium, Wells Fargo HQ, Excel Energy HQ, etc.). Then there's St. Paul (but Seattle has Bellevue, Denver has [??]). Plus, I can't possibly track it all and I know I'm missing many smaller infill projects.

I think we're doing okay, and it's not a race. I'd rather the projects being built today get filled up than to have a huge glut in vacant space for the next 10-15 years. I know this is the trepidation when it comes to condo or office development today, and unlike some of our sexier neighbors like Seattle or San Diego the Twin Cities do not typically see much of any speculative development, national or international. I'm okay with that, for the most part.
Seattle already has a density of 7,800 people per square mile and probably has
over 100,000 units under construction as does denver. Minneapolis will never see a density higher than seattle has right now in its lifetime. Every time somebody wants to build a tall structure in a neighborhood there is always a bunch of non native minneapolitans complaining along with the nimbys. How many units in St. Paul? Not many. Look at all the cool neighborhoods seattle has. Minneapolis doesn't have neighborhoods like that. Capital hill is awesome.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,939,158 times
Quote:
over 100,000 units under construction as does denver. Minneapolis will never see a density higher than seattle has right now in its lifetime. Every time somebody wants to build a tall structure in a neighborhood there is always a bunch of non native minneapolitans complaining along with the nimbys. How many units in St. Paul? Not many. Look at all the cool neighborhoods seattle has. Minneapolis doesn't have neighborhoods like that. Capital hill is awesome.
I don't know where to start with this one. Check your facts first though, because you're not making a meaningful argument. For example, Minneapolis' CURRENT population density is almost on par with Seattle (405,000 people in 54 sq/mi = 7,500 ppsm). Then as far as the units U/C in Seattle you're off by a mile (or ten)! The metric I've heard for Seattle is somewhere in the vacinity of 17,000 to 20,000 units, but I have no idea what that entails.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:32 AM

2,944 posts, read 3,609,170 times
Quote:
I don't think we have 100,000 units under construction...

Old 05-29-2014, 10:05 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,608,299 times
No city has 100,000 units under construction...think about it. The average apartment midrise as about 300-350 units. This means across the city, there are AT LEAST 285 apartment midrises under construction at this current moment and that is EXTREMELY unlikely. Literally, the whole cityscape would be changed extremely fast.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 29 days ago)

10,330 posts, read 10,482,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I don't think we have 100,000 units under construction...
During the Super Bowl I was beginning to think the Seahawks were going to score 100,000 points on my Broncos.

What I think is most impressive about Seattle and Denver booming the way they are is how recently it has started. These are not historically "fast growth" cities that have both hovered around 500,000 for many years before really increasing. When I say fast growth, I'm talking about Charlotte or Austin, even Phoenix. Cities that have seen profound gains in the last 30 years.

Denver and Seattle are both primed to really boost their national profiles, and that's impressive considering both already had pretty solid profiles to begin with. But if what we're seeing continues, these two cities are just beginning to maximize their potential. It's exciting to see where this will go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or