Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 PM

268 posts, read 430,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
As scorned as Phoenix has been over the years for being the poster child for sprawl and cookie cutter tract housing, they finally got the memo and development trends are starting to change. There is infill development happening in Tempe and Downtown Phoenix and also along Central Ave into Uptown. The light rail line that opened in 2008 between Mesa, Tempe/ASU, downtown Phoenix, and up to Central/Camelback has been the catalyst for new high density condo and apartment developments along the line. Many of them are the same modern cube style buildings you see going up in Denver and Seattle. I think the ASU link and millennial generation college student have really brought a lot more life in downtown Phoenix.

There is the new City-Scape development which is not anything out of the ordinary for urban retail/entertainment but it's a good start for downtown Phoenix. Chase Field and the US Airways arena are drawing crowds in and they now have more reasons to stick around after the game for a beer or a good meal.
CityScape Phoenix | Restaurants | Shopping | Entertainment | Hotel in Downtown Phoenix

There is also the trendy new Palomar Hotel, it's a Kimpton property which is sort of a hipster/trendy/boutique brand and they have a pretty fun rooftop pool and bar.
Hotel Palomar Phoenix CityScape | A Luxury Kimpton Boutique Hotel

The core of Phoenix has a long way to go to get to the level of Seattle, Denver, or Minneapolis. However it deserves recognition for the changes and development along the light rail line, which is the longest starter light rail line in the country at 22 miles and it's expanding with future service into downtown Mesa and NW Phoenix in 2017. Though I really think Scottsdale really missed out on an opportunity for saying no to light rail going down Scottsdale Ave.
Light rail was a great move for the city and hopefully it will make the Valley more traversable, but most movement, at it's best, will be always be park and ride. Suburbs and sprawl will always play in the Valley. On that note Eastmark, a new master planned community in Mesa, landed an Apple facility, and will have a college campus and I think a Main Street concept. That will be an interesting project to watch.

CityScape is great and a much needed improvement. My issue with CityScape is that it's still a master planned, inward-facing development full of chains. The layout encourages people to walk around on the CityScape campus, which has an elevator and feels very enclosed from the inside, but doesn't promote interaction with the surrounding areas. Because it's inward facing, there aren't any doors or windows facing the street, just concrete walls. I think that was a big mistake.

Arcadia, a neighborhood in Phoenix, also shows promise. Some interesting restaurants have popped up there and the houses are beautiful and historic. That too has a ways to go, and I'm not sure if the city is helping things along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
I agree. Minneapolis is falling farther behind by the day. It can't compete with denver or seattle.
Might as well up and move to Seattle or Denver then, I guess......there's no hope for Minny anymore, time to let it die its slow death.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:15 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Good to see the changes going on in Phoenix. Now that I'm moving to Scottsdale, I would love to see the light rail line built on Scottsdale Rd.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:37 AM

573 posts, read 1,050,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Might as well up and move to Seattle or Denver then, I guess......there's no hope for Minny anymore, time to let it die its slow death.
Agreed

Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
I'd love to see an objective list of projects, either total units/SF in the pipeline, total capital investments,......something more objective than "nah nah na nah nah" or "Denver and Seattle, like totally".

I have some good stats for Minneapolis (but not St. Paul, and definitely not the metro area), but the filters and criteria I use may be different than those other people use. For example, when I say there are 16,000+ units of apartments in the "pipeline" in Minneapolis alone, the pipeline includes projects: recently completed, under construction, approved, or proposed. When other sources cite data it could mean just a few of those, it could include other cities or the metro as a whole, or it could include pie-in-the-sky visions that haven't even been submitted for review or designed.

Can anybody come up with some figures like what I'm suggesting? I can back up the #'s for "poor ole" Minneapolis.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see an objective list of projects, either total units/SF in the pipeline, total capital investments,......something more objective than "nah nah na nah nah" or "Denver and Seattle, like totally".

I have some good stats for Minneapolis (but not St. Paul, and definitely not the metro area), but the filters and criteria I use may be different than those other people use. For example, when I say there are 16,000+ units of apartments in the "pipeline" in Minneapolis alone, the pipeline includes projects: recently completed, under construction, approved, or proposed. When other sources cite data it could mean just a few of those, it could include other cities or the metro as a whole, or it could include pie-in-the-sky visions that haven't even been submitted for review or designed.

Can anybody come up with some figures like what I'm suggesting? I can back up the #'s for "poor ole" Minneapolis.
That's all a pipe dream. Most of that is proposed and will never come to fruition. Most of those are in the Metro as a whole not in Munneapolis. Show some actually buildings that are completed, under construction or approved. I'd like to see a list but until than you are just stating facts that I'm not sure you can back up.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:11 PM

274 posts, read 705,953 times
Quote:

Ugh, here goes nothing.

Seattle:

Under Construction:

Amazon HQ (2 U/C, 1 site prep) 3x500 ft ~1,000,000 sq ft each

Isignia Condos 2x440 ft ~750 units

2030 8th Apartments 440ft ~350 units

815 Pine Apartments 440ft ~300 units

802 Seneca 300 ft ~300 units

225 Cedar 240 ft ~300 units

North Lot Various ~700 units

2025 Terry 200 ft ~200 rooms

Hill7 150 ft ~200 rooms + 300,000 sq ft

2720 4th 130 ft ~170 units

Walton Lofts 120 ft ~140 units

Proposed:

Urban Visions supertall 1000+ ft composition unknown

Rainier Square redevelopment 800+ ft ~750,000 sq ft + retail + hotel + residential

5th and Columbia 660 ft hotel and office

Civic Square 560 ft office

505 Madison 500ft ~750,000 sq ft

Hedreen Hotel 500ft ~1700 rooms

1200 Stewart 2x440 ft ~700 units

2nd and Pine 440 ft ~300 units

Cinerama Tower 440 ft ~300 units

Daola Tower 440 ft hotel + residences

AVA 440ft hotel + ~300 units

2000 3rd 440 ft ~450 units

2202 8th 440 ft ~450 units

9th and Lenora 440 ft ~400 units

Onni Development 2x400 ft 2x240 ft ~1800 units

Icon Tower 400 ft ~300 units

1821 Boren 400 ft ~400 units + office

2nd and Pike 400 ft office + retail + residential

1007 Stewart 21 stories ~300,000 sq ft

I know there are 100+ footers under construction and approved in South Lake Union, but I'm too lazy to find all of them, not to mention all of the 5-8 story stuff. Trying to find all of the woodframe stuff would be an exercise in futility.

Bellevue:

Under Construction:

Lincoln Square 2 2x450 ft office + retail + hotel + residential

929 Tower 240 ft ~400,000 sq ft

Soma Towers 240 ft ~250 units

Proposed:

The Bellevue 2x240 ft residential + retail

10833 NE 8th 300ft ~500,000 sq ft

Sterling Center 2,400,000 sq ft

Overall, I believe there are somewhere around 7,000 units under construction (not proposed or recently completed) in the core with around 14,000 units under construction within city limits (again, not proposed or recently completed).

SeattleScape » Blog Archive » Biggest boom ever?
Financiers worry Seattle’s apartment boom is overdone | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

Last edited by jaboyd1; 06-06-2014 at 03:52 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 03:13 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
I agree. Minneapolis is falling farther behind by the day. It can't compete with denver or seattle.
Population (MSA):

Seattle: 3,610,105
Twin Cities: 3,459,146
Denver: 2,697,476

GDP:

Seattle: $259b
Twin Cities: $220b
Denver: $168b

Unemployment rate:

Seattle: 4.8%
Twin Cities: 4.1%
Denver: 5.4%

It's just awful, isn't it?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,861 times
MSA eh? Denver is more like 3.3 million CSMA with a much higher GDP. Might wanna go by the true output of the Metro!

Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Denver-Aurora, CO Combined Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Denver metro population 3,214,218 so only a matter of time before it passes Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City