Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeastern Megalopolis Cities
Boston 12 21.43%
New York 22 39.29%
Philadelphia 14 25.00%
Washington 8 14.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This couldn't be further than the truth. Have you ever spent significant time in the DC region? DC has as much if not more going on in its metro at any time than Philly. Not to mention being 45 mins from Downtown Baltimore. At the MSA/ CSA level Philly definitely has a battle on its hands. But even on the city level DC has tons of things to do which easily compete with Philadelphia. It's certainly not New York.
Yes, I have spent a considerable amount of time in the DC area since I live here. To clarify, I'm not saying that DC does not have a lot to do, but I'm simply countering the claim that DC has much more to do than Philly -- which has not been my experience.

Quote:
There certainly are things that work in one city and don't work in the next, Brooklyn flea took off in DC and NY but couldn't hold pace in Philly

Just FYI:
District Flea pulls the plug, citing flagging attendance and vendor turnout

The Brooklyn Flea did not do well because it was super over-priced. Not to mention, DC and Philly don't need a Brooklyn import when they have locally-based events/venues that fill the exact same need. The whole idea was pretentious to begin with.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-30-2014 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Wealth in Philly doesn't compare to DC. City proper or regionally. Philly has no answer for Fairfax and Loudoun Counties from a per capita income standpoint.
Again, real income indicates purchasing power, which really limits true wealth in the DC area. By this measure, Rochester, MN is wealthier than DC:

How Far Your Paycheck Goes, In 356 U.S. Cities : Planet Money : NPR

I cannot find data at the suburban level, but again, I'd wager adjusted income is very similar for both areas' suburbs.

Quote:
As for festivals, DC is the nation's capital so there is something going on every week. Stop believing DC is all museums and monuments. The city hosts major events as well as local festivals throughout the spring, summer and fall. For example, thousands flock to the Cherry Blossom festival in April. 100 thousand AKA's descended on the city for their anniversary. The Annual Black family reunion brings in thousands of visitors. This is only a few events. Every weekend, DC hosts an event of some sort.
Understood, and Philly has comparably-scaled events. That's all I'm saying, whereas your original claim was that DC has more to do. Interestingly, DC doesn't even register on this "most eventful" cities ranking, whereas Philadelphia ranks #9:

The “Most Eventful Cities Ranking” Highlights Best Cities for Local Events and Entertainment | Business Wire

Old 05-31-2014, 12:26 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
The professional class in Philadelphia can't vote pay raises for themselves, nor is the military-industrial complex one of the metropolitan area's main employers. It seems that in order to generate wealth, Philadelphia has to rely almost exclusively on the private sector, free from federal contracts and palm grease.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:12 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
Not to mention being 45 mins from Downtown Baltimore.
Wow, never heard anyone say DC benefits from being close to Baltimore before.

The Philly homers have hijacked this thread. I am a Philly booster but not a homer and I will say that there is no need to mope around because Philly gets voted in a poll after the nation's capital city and the nation's mega-city.

There are ways to promote the (clearly under-rated) positives of the Philadelphia metro without sounding like you have a chip on your shoulder.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:19 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Wow, never heard anyone say DC benefits from being close to Baltimore before.

The Philly homers have hijacked this thread. I am a Philly booster but not a homer and I will say that there is no need to mope around because Philly gets voted in a poll after the nation's capital city and the nation's mega-city.

There are ways to promote the (clearly under-rated) positives of the Philadelphia metro without sounding like you have a chip on your shoulder.
Did u just completely overlook the part of my statement when I said: city vs city DC has at least equal amounts of stuff to do as Philly if not more? The poster before me clearly mentioned things to do in a regional aspect, that's where I replied at an MSA and or CSA level I would clearly take DC's region over Philly in terms of "things to do." What makes DC great is that you don't even have to leave the "MSA boundaries" and still feel like there is enough to do. Added to the simple fact that IF you do choose to enjoy things beyond those boundaries places like Baltimore/Annapolis/Chesapeake Bay etc are all within less than 1 hr.

What are Philadelphia's equivalent within its CSA?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:45 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Did u just completely overlook the part of my statement when I said: city vs city DC has at least equal amounts of stuff to do as Philly if not more? The poster before me clearly mentioned things to do in a regional aspect, that's where I replied at an MSA and or CSA level I would clearly take DC's region over Philly in terms of "things to do." What makes DC great is that you don't even have to leave the "MSA boundaries" and still feel like there is enough to do. Added to the simple fact that IF you do choose to enjoy things beyond those boundaries places like Baltimore/Annapolis/Chesapeake Bay etc are all within less than 1 hr.

What are Philadelphia's equivalent within its CSA?
Everything within Southeastern PA, South Jersey, almost the entire state of Delaware, and Northeastern Maryland. I'm sure there are enough things to do within these 4 different states. There is the Chesapeake Bay, Delaware Bay, Jersey Shore, close proximity of two state capitols, have easy access to the largest cities in Delaware and Pennsylvania just to name a few.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I acknowledge the potential for Philly homerism on this board, but I honestly haven't sensed that on this thread (also, if you were referring to my posts, I really am trying to be completely objective here -- I live outside of DC and will the first to tell you how much there is to offer in this area). However, since DC is clearly more of a known factor to most Americans, I still think there are misconceptions out there regarding Philly in terms of its unique offerings as a city/region.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Everything within Southeastern PA, South Jersey, almost the entire state of Delaware, and Northeastern Maryland. I'm sure there are enough things to do within these 4 different states. There is the Chesapeake Bay, Delaware Bay, Jersey Shore, close proximity of two state capitols, have easy access to the largest cities in Delaware and Pennsylvania just to name a few.
At best that equates to maybe a draw with DC area. I'm not picking an argument about it here. Philly's metro definitely has enough to do, but if you ask me I would lean DC area as a whole.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yeah, but Baltimore actually has history and culture to it. It has a great traditional urban fabric that's arguably one of the best in the country.

It's a shame the city has such a high crime rate and has so much poverty.
And a lot of blighted zones on top of that.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:16 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Wealth in Philly doesn't compare to DC. City proper or regionally. Philly has no answer for Fairfax and Loudoun Counties from a per capita income standpoint. As for festivals, DC is the nation's capital so there is something going on every week. Stop believing DC is all museums and monuments. The city hosts major events as well as local festivals throughout the spring, summer and fall. For example, thousands flock to the Cherry Blossom festival in April. 100 thousand AKA's descended on the city for their anniversary. The Annual Black family reunion brings in thousands of visitors. This is only a few events. Every weekend, DC hosts an event of some sort.
There is quite a bit of wealth in Montgomery and Chester Counties and PA also has a lower cost of living than the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City