Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State defined more by transplants
Florida 65 80.25%
California 16 19.75%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
California has more substance than Florida, culturally and economically. In those regards, just move Disneyland to Nevada and add water, and you'll end up with Florida.
This is inaccurate on so many levels, I don't know where to start.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 01:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post

I grew up in Florida and there is definitely a local culture brewing between the children of transplants or immigrants. I'm thinking of boating, seafood, big night clubs, a much more liberal outlook on life. Sexy beach bodies.
This is spot on. I grew up here too, left, and came back. Local pride is growing very organically here in the Orlando area, and I'm proud to work for a business that is a part of this movement.

Yes Cali has way more of this and I've been tempted to relo there a time or two, but then I think of how I'd be missing out on creating that here, in my homeland.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
California has more substance than Florida, culturally and economically. In those regards, just move Disneyland to Nevada and add water, and you'll end up with Florida.
Florida has the largest collection of Spanish history on the east coast. Including one of the oldest cities in the US. If that isn't substance...I didn't even mention the ethnic neighborhoods throughout the state. Florida may not have the antebellum history that other states like GA has, but don't get it twisted, Florida has substance.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
Gnutella didn't say Florida doesn't have substance. If anything, that quote says Florida does have substance, just not as much as California.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:19 AM

106 posts, read 236,956 times
Florida does get a lot of hate on CD but not sure why either.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:46 AM

233 posts, read 530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Gnutella didn't say Florida doesn't have substance. If anything, that quote says Florida does have substance, just not as much as California.
The issue was the ridiculous Nevada comparison, which I guess he needed to boost his ego living in boring Athens and coming from Pittsburgh. Anyway local "defined" culture goes to California because its has a much larger population that has been there for decades. Florida due to once being one of the least populated states to one of the most is transplant central... Even the third of the population that was born there are probably first generation, as I am, so I was influenced by my parents allegiances in some ways to where they were born, although after living there for almost 40 years now they identify as Floridians now in most ways. Add to this the fact that Florida has always had a lower birthdate, almost a 100 million tourists, and a large part time population it causes local culture to be underdeveloped and not to be as prominent as other states, but this is changing because despite all the aforementioned characteristics that are pretty unique to Florida, there's a large enough population of native FL people, many 1st generation, that are organically making FL culture and more prominent in the sea of transplants and tourists.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:40 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
The issue was the ridiculous Nevada comparison, which I guess he needed to boost his ego living in boring Athens and coming from Pittsburgh.
Nevada's two most concentrated industries are leisure/hospitality and construction. Florida's two most concentrated industries are leisure/hospitality and construction. Furthermore, as of April 2014, California has 99.8% of the jobs it had at peak employment, versus only 96.6% for Florida and 94.5% for Nevada. I'm not talking about population or demographics here; I'm talking about economic substance, which is pretty fluffy in both states, especially compared to California. On that note, leave Pittsburgh and Athens out of this; they're not part of the comparison, and it's honestly never occurred to me to feel ashamed of having lived in either city, so I really don't need to put anyplace else down for an ego boost. You apparently do, though, considering you brought them up in the first place.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:24 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
The issue was the ridiculous Nevada comparison, which I guess he needed to boost his ego living in boring Athens and coming from Pittsburgh. Anyway local "defined" culture goes to California because its has a much larger population that has been there for decades. Florida due to once being one of the least populated states to one of the most is transplant central
It's funny because I'm from Florida and I don't know that many transplants. I thought California had more than us.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:44 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I think you mean California! Nevada has demographics more similar to California, then it does to Florida. Disneyland is in California, and Disneyworld is in Florida. Yeah, just add some water and it'll have some of the most beautiful beaches in America. I also feel that California is less defined by transplants, but that's just beyond ignorant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I don't even understand your last sentence about moving Florida's water and renowned tourist attractions to another state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
This is inaccurate on so many levels, I don't know where to start.......
Typical Florida people--not too swift and have difficulty comprehending concepts that aren't very difficult to grasp at all.

Gnutella was insinuating that Nevada--a highly transient state with an economy largely dependent on tourism and construction--is very much like Florida, and it is. If you *move Disneyland from California to Nevada*--since Nevada has no theme parks--and *add water*--meaning give it some beaches (again, figurative)--you'll have Florida. Jeez, it doesn't rocket scientist to figure out what he was saying, OMG.

However, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that three posters from Florida had difficulty trying to figure that out, as I found comprehension ability along with general common sense to be severely lacking among people in Florida, primarily due to the little to no education of most residents. FWIW, I've never known so many high school dropouts in any of the states in which I've lived as I did while living in Florida, my uncle and one of my long-time neighbors included. The poor customer service in Florida is just one of the many results of this issue.

Also, most people Florida don't really have any working knowledge of California, as most have never been. Lots of people in East often compare California and Florida and make it seem as though the two states are very similar due to warm weather, beaches, palm trees, etc. when they couldn't more different. In my experience, most white people in Florida only have a working knowledge of New York and maybe New Jersey, and most black people only have a working knowledge of Georgia. The reason for this is that Florida is much more working-class than California as well as being pretty disconnected geographically from most other states, including its neighbors, so people in Florida tend to travel to different states less frequently because it's more expensive and arduous than in other states. FWIW, lots of working-class people who were born and raised in Florida, esp. South Florida, have never even left the state. OTOH, Californians are much more well-traveled in the US--and aborad, for that matter--overall than people in Florida because they tend to be better educated, higher income, and more open-minded to new places/cultures/experiences. People in the East really only seem interested in traveling to Disney World and either Italy or Israel.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 06-01-2014 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 06:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
California:

54% born in California
18% born in another state
27% born in a foreign country

Florida:

35% born in Florida
43% born in another state
19% born in a foreign country

/thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City