Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times

Advertisements

I feel Richmond is still pretty Southern, the roots run deep there.

Despite Richmond being only 100 miles from D.C. though, I believe Raleigh/Durham to be more progressive, modern and much more important.

The flight offerings from each are pretty telling. While Richmond is basically only connected to various hubs, Raleigh supports daily nonstop flights to places as varied as London & L.A. that RIC can only dream of.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:02 PM

18 posts, read 27,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I feel Richmond is still pretty Southern, the roots run deep there.

Despite Richmond being only 100 miles from D.C. though, I believe Raleigh/Durham to be more progressive, modern and much more important.

The flight offerings from each are pretty telling. While Richmond is basically only connected to various hubs, Raleigh supports daily nonstop flights to places as varied as London & L.A. that RIC can only dream of.
Very accurate. Richmond is actually the least progressive out of Virginia's three large metros. DC being first, Hampton roads being second and then Richmond coming in last. Raleigh/Durham is the second most progressive behind Charlotte and doesn't soley rely on a university like Richmond (VCU).

Old 01-03-2015, 08:29 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
All's I know is Raleigh's skyline is far sexier than Richmond's:

Raleigh:

Richond:

Richmond's is so very plain and boring. A bunch of blocks with windows.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:12 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
The two cities do share their similarities, but they're definitely not identical. A relative in the car, a Raleigh native, said Richmond reminded her of Pennsylvania. I feel like that's a little too far, but I can see what she means coming from Raleigh.

The whole Research Triangle metro barely has any history on the same level as Richmond. In fact, while Richmond was serving as the Capital of the Confederacy, Raleigh was a tiny state capital. For the longest time, the whole Raleigh/Durham region wasn't as populated and suburban as it is today. It was actually a little backwoods! The RTP boom changed everything, with the Research Triangle suddenly zipping past Richmond in growth. With all the growth came the suburban sprawl, and you better believe we have A TON of sprawl around Raleigh that isn't slowing down at all. It's a somewhat similar situation around Richmond but to a lesser extent. I drove around the whole metro today, and I had many "This reminds me of Raleigh/Durham and Winston-Salem" moments but I also received a different vibe. If this makes sense, Richmond definitely feels both Upper South AND East Coast. You could say the same regarding Raleigh, but to a lesser extent as I feel like Raleigh is more southern.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:19 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
Raleigh sexy...That's rich!

The VCU Medical Center has a larger footprint than all of downtown Raliegh.

Raliegh is nice enough but Richmond is a real city with organic growth and connectivity and a skyline that would make timid Raliegh wet itself.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4076/4...fa1551e0_z.jpg

Old 01-04-2015, 12:10 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
All's I know is Raleigh's skyline is far sexier than Richmond's:

Raleigh:

Richond:

Richmond's is so very plain and boring. A bunch of blocks with windows.
I feel just the opposite; while Richmond's skyline is boxier, it's larger and gives more of an impression when driving through. Its location along the James River is also a plus.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:11 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,677 times
Wow, take a close look at both photos and explain to me how the skyline of Raleigh is better than Richmond's.....the MWV building alone is much more aesthetically appealing than any of the Raleigh offerings. The foreground of a deserted highway also can't compete with a river dotted with islands and rapids.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:51 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Actually, I love the fact that I-95 goes directly through Richmond, therefore giving a ton of people the opportunity to see the city/skyline up close. I'll always remember the giant cigarette on the side of 95, and the old train station. In North Carolina, I-95 and I-85 don't go through Raleigh, only I-40. I do love my hometown of Raleigh, and our skyline isn't bad. But, I'm jealous that Richmond actually has a river flowing through.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeenthusiast View Post
Very accurate. Richmond is actually the least progressive out of Virginia's three large metros. DC being first, Hampton roads being second and then Richmond coming in last. Raleigh/Durham is the second most progressive behind Charlotte and doesn't soley rely on a university like Richmond (VCU).
For the record. the Charlotte metro may be a little larger in population than the Triangle; but that gap is closing and more relevant to the point you are making; The Triangle is considered far more progressive than Charlotte.

I've driven through Richmond many times and while it has some cool older buildings and definitely a much richer history than Raleigh; the fact that you go past a water treatment plant that smells like raw sewage when you are nearing downtown on 95 doesn't really give the greatest first impression. To be fair I haven't really spent much time exploring the city's neighborhoods.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:39 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
For the record. the Charlotte metro may be a little larger in population than the Triangle; but that gap is closing and more relevant to the point you are making; The Triangle is considered far more progressive than Charlotte.
That's very debatable and completely depends on how one defines "progressive."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City