Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best city to call home
Austin 18 18.56%
Portland 31 31.96%
Boulder 15 15.46%
Pittsburgh 33 34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,881,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yeah, I'm sure all the pollution in the Ohio River comes from the Pittsburgh area.

If you even bothered to read the article, you'd notice that the Monongahela River wasn't even the most polluted tributary of the Ohio. The New River dumped nearly six times as much pollution into the Ohio as the Monongahela did, and the Muskingum River dumped more than twice as much. Neither river passes anywhere near Pittsburgh.

You'd also notice that Indiana was the worst state for water pollutant discharges, and gee, guess which river forms Indiana's southern border! Furthermore, if you were even slightly more than minimally observant, you'd notice that the Allegheny River didn't even make the list at all.

Just because the Ohio River is a cesspool by the time it gets to Cairo, IL doesn't mean that it's Pittsburgh's fault. Reduce pollution at the Clairton Coke Works and rehabilitate Connoquenessing Creek, and the Ohio will be squeaky clean until the mouth of the Muskingum. And the Allegheny will be squeaky clean regardless.

At least you're wise enough not to challenge me about riverfront access after I proved you wrong about that.
Wish I could Rep you but I do it so often it never lets me anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 PM

895 posts, read 1,230,770 times
So why did people vote for who they voted for?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 PM

416 posts, read 577,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yeah, I'm sure all the pollution in the Ohio River comes from the Pittsburgh area.

If you even bothered to read the article, you'd notice that the Monongahela River wasn't even the most polluted tributary of the Ohio. The New River dumped nearly six times as much pollution into the Ohio as the Monongahela did, and the Muskingum River dumped more than twice as much. Neither river passes anywhere near Pittsburgh.

You'd also notice that Indiana was the worst state for water pollutant discharges, and gee, guess which river forms Indiana's southern border! Furthermore, if you were even slightly more than minimally observant, you'd notice that the Allegheny River didn't even make the list at all.

Just because the Ohio River is a cesspool by the time it gets to Cairo, IL doesn't mean that it's Pittsburgh's fault. Reduce pollution at the Clairton Coke Works and rehabilitate Connoquenessing Creek, and the Ohio will be squeaky clean until the mouth of the Muskingum. And the Allegheny will be squeaky clean regardless.

At least you're wise enough not to challenge me about riverfront access after I proved you wrong about that.
Settle down, man. It's just water. The Mon is number 17 on the list of most polluted waterways in the country. And I didn't "challenge" you about riverfront access because I was comparing Pittsburgh to the other two cities and the issue is more subjective. Good access to you might not be good access to me, right? Austin has numerous parks along the Highland Lakes, which are used for swimming and other recreational activities. There are also houses, restaurants like The Oasis and Hula Hut, and numerous trails along the lakes. You can enjoy the water in various places throughout the city, as this list demonstrates. It's been that way in Austin for a very long time. The redevelopment of Pittsburgh's riverfront, on the other hand, is a relatively recent phenomenon because of the city's industrial past. I applaud the improvement, but I think the city has a long way to go. It can't compete with the other two cities.

Last edited by JMT; 06-03-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM

71 posts, read 133,155 times
Austin

Old 06-28-2014, 09:54 AM

6,867 posts, read 8,158,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
(since Austin is just a few hours from Galveston or Corpus).
Austin is more like 3 HOURS OR MORE to the gulf. And if traveling with young or older family members at least one stop is required which turns it into a 4 HOUR ONE-WAY Trip. I've done the trip a few times.

As a weekend trip or extended weekend trip you are talking 8 hours of travel time round trip.

It's not really very enjoyable as a day trip, as an overnight stay it's ok, but you still have a very long drive back home.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:21 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,148,114 times
If you go to Corpus it's a 3 hr drive. But most I talk to go to either Mustang Island or Port Aransas to go fishing, surfing, and or scuba diving. Camp out on the beach, then head home the next morning. But I can see what your saying. It's a mad house a times going through Houston especially through rush hour traffic, also the drive home is not as bad since there are some nice rolling hills and pine trees between the 2 metropolitans.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:08 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Because I know people who moved to boulder..and I view it as somewhat similar with its natural landscape and the college it has...along with growth. It's highly rated on many lists. Most people tend to lump cities And nearby suburbs together in these polls anyways...so really it could be inxuded to some
This fits in to what I was going to say. This is a real "apples to oranges" poll. Pittsburgh is the largest MSA at #22. Portland is next at 24. Austin, while a very large city, is only ranked 35 in MSA, and Boulder ??? Boulder is #160. Boulder is its own MSA (Boulder County), though part of the Denver CSA.
List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austin is not in a CSA. Portland's CSA is #17, and Pittsburgh's is #20 in population.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:29 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This fits in to what I was going to say. This is a real "apples to oranges" poll. Pittsburgh is the largest MSA at #22. Portland is next at 24. Austin, while a very large city, is only ranked 35 in MSA, and Boulder ??? Boulder is #160. Boulder is its own MSA (Boulder County), though part of the Denver CSA.
List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austin is not in a CSA. Portland's CSA is #17, and Pittsburgh's is #20 in population.
Portland is also growing much faster and will pass Pittsburgh soon.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,486,631 times
I belive for scenery Portland is tops regarding water. It's hard to match the crashing waves on the nearby coast.

BUT, for practical recreation, Austin wins with the kayaking, swimming, springs etc. It may be a weekend trip but you can swim in the gulf much of the year. Do people swim in the rivers near Portland or Pittsburgh? I mean without a wetsuit. Do they eat the fish they catch?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:55 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I belive for scenery Portland is tops regarding water. It's hard to match the crashing waves on the nearby coast.

BUT, for practical recreation, Austin wins with the kayaking, swimming, springs etc. It may be a weekend trip but you can swim in the gulf much of the year. Do people swim in the rivers near Portland or Pittsburgh? I mean without a wetsuit. Do they eat the fish they catch?
There is no swimming in the Pittsburgh rivers that I'm aware of. There is a lot of boating. Don't know if the fish are edible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City