Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 PM

354 posts, read 627,203 times

Advertisements

These two towns seem to have alot in common both are in the Blue Ridge Mountains moreso Asheville, Charlottesville is like in The Foothills which of these two towns do you think offer more such as amenities,shopping,entertainment,& culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:03 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
Good question, both cities are pretty similar. I'm more familiar with Asheville being a NC native, but I'd say Asheville offers more amenities. From the times I've spent in both cities, Asheville seems a little more hip and happening. Asheville can get crowded on Friday nights, and feels more alive than Charlottesville. However, both do have their similarities. UVA is located in Charlottesville, so it's definitely full of young people. UNC-Asheville and a few surrounding colleges like Montreat and Warren Wilson are reasons why Asheville is full of young people as well. Asheville draws tourism from major metros such as Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Triangle. Charlottesville draws a lot of tourism from Richmond, the Hampton Roads, and the DC area. In Asheville, you have the Great Smoky Mountains National Park down the road along with the Biltmore Estate and the Grove Park Inn. If I'm not mistake, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited National Park in America. UVA draws a lot of tourism in Charlottesville, being that it's such an old and historic school. Not to mention Monticello, Ash-Lawn Highland, and Montpelier surrounding the city. The Shenandoah Valley is also not too far of a drive from the Charlottesville area. Seems like I'm getting a bit off track haha, but to wrap things up, I'd say Asheville offers more amenities from my experiences in both areas.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 10,156 times
We too are thinking of moving to either Charlottesville, VA or Ashville, NC. Which state has the better tax rate for us retirees? thanks for any advice/comments.

Diesel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City