Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:57 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Except that they vote and shape the laws of the state. Maybe that won't make a difference in your day to day life, but sometimes those laws have a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it. Perhaps the courts will render a lot of the discriminatory laws invalid, perhaps they won't.
The laws in the state never effected me when lived in Atlanta. I'm not looking to be married to a man anyways so, hell its hard enough trying to keep a gay mans attention let alone be married to one.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Except this is a widespread attitude amongst the black community. The black community is probably the most homophobic of any of the 4 major racial groups in this country. It's even worse in cities like Atlanta.
Then I wonder with all this homophobic blacks in Atlanta. Why do Atlanta continue to have the largest black gay population. Why are they moving to a city where lots of blacks dont like them?

Can you answer that please

Old 06-13-2014, 06:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Then I wonder with all this homophobic blacks in Atlanta. Why do Atlanta continue to have the largest black gay population. Why are they moving to a city where lots of blacks dont like them?

Can you answer that please
Because it's the only major city in the southeast (for miles!!!) where gay blacks can move to be more 'open' about their lifestyle without the backlash they'd get back home. That poster was right. Black people are far more homophobic than others. Notice your openly gay people migrate to white-dominated parts of the city (midtown and artsy districts in the area). They wouldn't get high acceptance in the heavily black populated areas like South Fulton. Of course, this is more pervasive among those 30+ and not the young, but to dispute the disparity in resistance to gays among racial lines would communicate a failure to reason honestly/objectively (unless you stay couped up in midtown, then you wouldn't know)

Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Because it's the only major city in the southeast (for miles!!!) where gay blacks can move to be more 'open' about their lifestyle without the backlash they'd get back home. That poster was right. Black people are far more homophobic than others. Notice your openly gay people migrate to white-dominated parts of the city (midtown and artsy districts in the area). They wouldn't get high acceptance in the heavily black populated areas like South Fulton. Of course, this is more pervasive among those 30+ and not the young, but to dispute the disparity in resistance to gays among racial lines would communicate a failure to reason honestly/objectively (unless you stay couped up in midtown, then you wouldn't know)
Wait a minute... Firstly, Atlanta is a magnet for gays because of the accepting population. Gays are accepted in this city because there has always been many in the area (At least as long as I can remember).

To say that black gays in Atlanta migrate to Midtown is false. I live in metro Atlanta and gay people exist all over the area. I live in Sandy Springs, a suburb north of Atlanta and many of my neighbors are gay. I have gays friends and many of them live on the south side of Atlanta (East Point and College Park to be exact) and they hangout in that area as well. They go to Midtown for some things but they mostly stay on their side of town (The south side) and they are comfortable there. So you have no idea what you are talking about. Midtown is a hub for mostly White Gay men. I even work with many gay people and they live all over the metro area with most residing in the suburbs.

If you are not familiar with Atlanta then you will not know these things or if you live in Conyers and live in your own bubble then you will not know these things as well.

Black people can be homophobic at times (I admit that), but that exists all over America; however, Atlanta is one of few cities were Black/White/Latino/Asian gays can live without much negative attention. As a matter of fact, a study was recently done were Atlanta exceled in the least amount of hate crimes against gays (http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/citie...iendly-cities/).

FYI, I am a Black male and I do not care what your sexual orientation is. I love everyone for who they are. My parents taught me well and I am sure other parents have taught their kids to love everyone no matter what as well.

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 06-13-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 10:53 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Black people are "far more homophobic than others"? Give me a break. Where's the Black version of Westboro Baptist Church, the Family Research Council, Chick-Fil-A, etc.? Blacks may have their own attitudes with respect to gay issues (that can be either pro or con), but for the most part, Blacks aren't actively organizing efforts to restrict the rights of gay folks. At most we'll organize in response to things that have already been proposed, like gay marriage ballot referendums, and even then the opposition to such among Blacks can be and has been overblown (e.g., the aftermath of Prop 8 in California).

As far as openly-gay people migrating to certain parts of the city, apparently you're unaware of the fact that gays often represent the first wave of gentrification in inner-city neighborhood in general, many of which have sizable Black populations. Gays and most other groups for that matter aren't going to migrate to places like South Fulton because of an overall lack of amenities and jobs compared with other places in the region.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:28 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Wait a minute... Firstly, Atlanta is a magnet for gays because of the accepting population. Gays are accepted in this city because there has always been many in the area (At least as long as I can remember).

To say that black gays in Atlanta migrate to Midtown is false. I live in metro Atlanta and gay people exist all over the area. I live in Sandy Springs, a suburb north of Atlanta and many of my neighbors are gay. I have gays friends and many of them live on the south side of Atlanta (East Point and College Park to be exact) and they hangout in that area as well. They go to Midtown for some things but they mostly stay on their side of town (The south side) and they are comfortable there. So you have no idea what you are talking about. Midtown is a hub for mostly White Gay men. I even work with many gay people and they live all over the metro area with most residing in the suburbs.

If you are not familiar with Atlanta then you will not know these things or if you live in Conyers and live in your own bubble then you will not know these things as well.

Black people can be homophobic at times (I admit that), but that exists all over America; however, Atlanta is one of few cities were Black/White/Latino/Asian gays can live without much negative attention. As a matter of fact, a study was recently done were Atlanta exceled in the least amount of hate crimes against gays (Most LGBT-Friendly Cities).

FYI, I am a Black male and I do not care what your sexual orientation is. I love everyone for who they are. My parents taught me well and I am sure other parents have taught their kids to love everyone no matter what as well.

Conyers? I stay in CP. If you think distribution of gay receptivity exists equally across the metro, then you have no idea what you are talking about. I've never seen an openly gay person strolling around the business centers of the southside (camp creek and Old Nat). YOUR parents taught you to love. However, you have to remember that most blacks come from relatively low income single parent homes with poor educational precedent. They weren't taught to love homosexuals and accept people, most blacks I know don't even like homosexuals and very homophobic to the point of being ready to snap if one even approaches them the wrong way.

So, please stop projecting your vision as if everyone shares it. Gay acceptance is pocketed, very far from being ubiquitous. But we can keep pretending as if Black people here possess no flaw(s) to a higher degree than others in some cases. All races/cultures have distinct issues. Homophobia is ours.

Atlanta has its large gay community due to its proximity to backwards small towns. This is the only place where people for up to several hundred can come to 'blend' their sexuality in and find others who moved with the same attitude.

Gay man jumped for being gay! - YouTube

^^^ this happened. Whether it was purely motivated by sexuality is irrelevelant as the slurs indicate the cultural attitude that accompanies the beating.

This goes for you too, Mutiny.

Last edited by meep; 06-13-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Thats where I stayed in West Midtown at 1016 lofts. I rarely saw the suburbs. So I could probably give 2 cents about the suburban whites and how they feel about the gays.
I have heard midtown is very trendy and gay friendly.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Conyers? I stay in CP. If you think distribution of gay receptivity exists equally across the metro, then you have no idea what you are talking about. I've never seen an openly gay person strolling around the business centers of the southside (camp creek and Old Nat). YOUR parents taught you to love. However, you have to remember that most blacks come from relatively low income single parent homes with poor educational precedent. They weren't taught to love homosexuals and accept people, most blacks I know don't even like homosexuals and very homophobic to the point of being ready to snap if one even approaches them the wrong way.
Yeah, I stopped reading right there. That may be how you were raised and it might be reflective of where you come from, but please don't project that ignorance on all of us--or to use your own words with a slight modification, please stop projecting your history as if everyone shares it. I'm not saying that all Blacks were raised to be tolerant and accepting of everyone because that's not true of any racial group, but this dribble you're spewing is pretty ignorant and asinine.

As far as that clip goes, while I don't condone what happened whatever the circumstances, it was discovered that it wasn't nearly as cut-and-dried as it appeared to be: Members of Atlanta's gay community: Brandon White lied - CBS46 News And I think it's pretty funny that you say you've never seen an openly gay person walking around on the southside (and how would you know if they were openly gay? All gay people don't have the same mannerisms, etc.) yet you posted a video of a gay guy in Pittsburgh. The fact of the matter is that Black members of the LGBT community can be found in country towns (they don't all move to Atlanta), suburbs, urban areas, and everywhere in between.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Blacks are still the most homophobic racial group in the nation and it lines up perfectly with blacks being the most religious group also. Also, ironically enough, the black racial group also commits the most crime proportionally. 'Tha Lawd' really does make people's lives better.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Blacks are still the most homophobic racial group in the nation and it lines up perfectly with blacks being the most religious group also. Also, ironically enough, the black racial group also commits the most crime proportionally. 'Tha Lawd' really does make people's lives better.
And look, not a shred of statistical evidence accompanies anything you're saying and even if you did have any, there's nothing to demonstrate causation. But we're not surprised at this point.

Here, educate yourself; times, they are a changin' and it would behoove you to keep up: Crunching The Numbers On Blacks' Views On Gays : Code Switch : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City