Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should the USOC select for the 2024 Summer Olympics?
Boston 13 16.25%
Los Angeles 27 33.75%
San Francisco 21 26.25%
Washington DC 19 23.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,138,413 times

Advertisements

LA is the only logical choice. This city is built for the olympics and a major chunk of our olympians are developed here. Perfect climate, topography, sports culture. Most of the existing venues are already here. It's a no brainer really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 09:59 PM

634 posts, read 891,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
As much as I hate to admit that I agree with this....I agree with this. Not that we should let them rape developing countries (Russia, UK, Canada, China, and Italy aren't "developing"...)...but I simply don't think it is worth the expense. Too much seems to be put on creating a lavish show....which is nice...but ultimately unnecessary IMO. The venues don't need to be *nice* or new...just safe.
Oh I agree with it, it's not the financial windfall it once was, most cities cannot handle the disruption which is more noticeable unlike the winter olympics where events are in the mountains.

I think IOC knows their future is tied to a strong partnership with the United States, put it in DC for a change n make Uncle Sam pay for it.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'd love to see it in Boston. It'd be perfect to develop the Olympic Village on the South Boston Waterfront, plus it'd definitely give the city to expand the subway system. Having rowing competitions on the Charles River would be super picturesque too.
Maybe they could build a nice mixed use/NFL stadium for the Patriots in the city like they were trying to do in the Southie Waterfront in the late 90's. Foxboro is kind of lame, location and amenity wise.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:14 PM

76 posts, read 138,532 times
I have mixed feelings on Boston hosting, but there was an article in the Boston Globe today and the potential sites seem reasonable. Nothings official but some ideas were:

Olympic Village at the Bayside EXPO center. Use as dorms for UmassBoston after
Olympic Stadium on a collection of neighboring sites in Southie, off 93. Use for concerts and/or Revolution (soccer) stadium after
Media center at convention center, or new site in Seaport.
Indoor events at Harvard site in Allston.

TD Garden for Basketball
Boston Common for Beach Volleyball
Charles River for rowing (this wasn't mentioned but seems obvious)
Gillette Stadium for Soccer (this was the only site mentioned that's outside Boston)
Franklin Park for Equestrian events

This was really just the musings of the journalist, but I think at least some of these would be likely. Umass Boston has been talking about becoming less of a commuter school, so using the Olympic village seems like a good idea. I don't know about using the Olympic Stadium for the Revs though. The Revs need about a 20,000 person stadium, and Olympic stadiums are much larger. They would end up playing in an oversized stadium, which is a major complaint about Gillette.

I do not know much about LA, SF, or DCs plans but would love to if anyone wants to share.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
LA already has most of the facilities in place, so that would be my first choice.

But any of these cities would make for an awesome Olympic Games.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,619,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
LA already has most of the facilities in place, so that would be my first choice.

But any of these cities would make for an awesome Olympic Games.
It would be kinda weird to use some of the facilities built for the '84 olympics for another olympics 40 years later, huh?

Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post
I have mixed feelings on Boston hosting, but there was an article in the Boston Globe today and the potential sites seem reasonable. Nothings official but some ideas were:

Olympic Village at the Bayside EXPO center. Use as dorms for UmassBoston after
Olympic Stadium on a collection of neighboring sites in Southie, off 93. Use for concerts and/or Revolution (soccer) stadium after
Media center at convention center, or new site in Seaport.
Indoor events at Harvard site in Allston.

TD Garden for Basketball
Boston Common for Beach Volleyball
Charles River for rowing (this wasn't mentioned but seems obvious)
Gillette Stadium for Soccer (this was the only site mentioned that's outside Boston)
Franklin Park for Equestrian events

This was really just the musings of the journalist, but I think at least some of these would be likely. Umass Boston has been talking about becoming less of a commuter school, so using the Olympic village seems like a good idea. I don't know about using the Olympic Stadium for the Revs though. The Revs need about a 20,000 person stadium, and Olympic stadiums are much larger. They would end up playing in an oversized stadium, which is a major complaint about Gillette.

I do not know much about LA, SF, or DCs plans but would love to if anyone wants to share.
Charles River cannot be used for Olympic rowing according to FISA Rules. Bridges and Current. They will probably use the course Worchester, MA.

Same reason why the Long Beach Marine Stadium (built for the 1932 Games) can not be used. Olympic Training Center in Otay Mesa (near San Diego) would probably be used

DC will probably use the Occaquan Reservior, San Francisco will probably use Lake Natoma (which may also be a site for LA)

Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Charles River cannot be used for Olympic rowing according to FISA Rules. Bridges and Current. They will probably use the course Worchester, MA.

Same reason why the Long Beach Marine Stadium (built for the 1932 Games) can not be used. Olympic Training Center in Otay Mesa (near San Diego) would probably be used

DC will probably use the Occaquan Reservior, San Francisco will probably use Lake Natoma (which may also be a site for LA)
Thanks for the info. I had no idea. Any idea what locations might be used for sailing near these cities?

Old 06-20-2014, 03:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,526,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
It would be kinda weird to use some of the facilities built for the '84 olympics for another olympics 40 years later, huh?
Actually a lot of the facilities that L.A. is planning on using were built (or completely redone) after the '84 Olympics, including:

Staples Center -- Indoor Volleyball, Artistic Gymnastics
Galen Center -- Boxing
Pauley Pavilion (completely revamped 2 years ago) -- Basketball
Nokia Theatre -- Fencing
Farmers Field (Planned) -- Basketball
Walt Disney Concert Hall -- Taekwondo
L.A. Memorial Coliseum (Complete Revamp by 2024) -- Track & Field
L.A. River -- Canoe & Kayak Slalom
StubHub Track Center -- Field Hockey
StubHub Tennis Center -- Tennis
StubHub Soccer Stadium -- Soccer, Rugby

So, it wouldn't really be "1984 part 2", and it's actually good that there isn't a lot of construction needed.

Los Angeles 2024 promise "canvas to paint winning American bid" on as publish plans - insidethegames.biz - Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth Games News

That said, i think any of the four cities would be excellent hosts.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

So, it wouldn't really be "1984 part 2", and it's actually good that there isn't a lot of construction needed.
I agree that the less construction needed the better. The US doesn't want to make the mistake of building white elephants like the World Cup stadium in Manaus. If new construction is needed I think there needs to be a clear plan what it would be used for after.

That being said, LA would be my last choice only because they hosted twice already. Both LA olympics were a success, and I think that LA would be a great location. However, there are so many other eligable cities in the US that haven't had a chance, I think it makes sense to spread it around. It's one thing when cities like Tokyo or London host it more than once, because they are the clear primate city in their country, but the US has lots of cities that deserve the Olympics (including SF, DC, Bos) so I'd rather see it go somewhere else.

I definitely agree that these are 4 good options though. It should come down to whoever has the best plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City