Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:26 PM

58 posts, read 324,878 times

Advertisements

where would you rather live? pittsburgh or baltimore? and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 09:59 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,602 times
Baltimore has been recently added on the top most dangerous places to live...so for me, and being a native! I would always choose PGH! PGH has also been added to the top 12 fun places to live!

However, I will say that Baltimore is pretty and is close to the ocean...just choose a safer part of town maybe?

Old 12-16-2007, 06:28 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
Baltimore hands down but I do like Pittsburgh so I don't want to offend. But, considering where Baltimore was and what has become of it, I really can't think of a city that has made more progress. It's biggest issue is crime where Pittsburgh wins hands down. But, Baltimore just has a lot more to offer and it has so many great neighborhoods that do not have crime issues.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:55 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,347 times
I love a lot of cities in this country, but Baltimore isn't one of them. I think Baltimore is a hell hole.

To be frank.

No really, I do. I have a particular distaste for Baltimore and it's also one of the drug capitals of the country. The only thing I've ever particularly liked about Baltimore is the harbor. Oh, and their little Italy is pretty neat. But you couldn't pay me to move to Baltimore.

Pick another city to compare, I'll probably have nicer things to say. lol.

The cost of living in Baltimore is quite a lot higher, too, because a lot of the costs run together with the DC metro. For the expense that Baltimore is, there are probably a thousand other cities I would recommend MUCH higher.

Last edited by guylocke; 12-16-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM

What puts this REALLY into perspective for me is the fact that most cost-of-living comparisons and expense rankings have Seattle and Baltimore almost the same exact cost.

Seattle is a nicer city in every single regard possible, if you ask me. :P I just don't know how Baltimore can justify that sort of cost-of-living.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 PM

76 posts, read 319,193 times
Why ask strangers?

Are you looking for the suburbs or the city?
Both cities are somewhat comparable. Baltimore has Fell's Point/Inner Harbor, Pittsburgh has the South Side/Station Square. Both have a Hooters and a Cheesecake factory...LOL

Pittsburgh-Bloomfield
Baltimore- Little Italy

Both have some great suburbs, both have some great new condos, intercity.

If your looking for low cost of living, Pittsburgh is your town. Baltimore gets the nod for jobs...

If your looking to be close to the water the Bay is unbeatable. Shopping is Md-DC-Va. Skiing goes to Western Pa.

Day/weekend trips are endless in the Md. area. In a few hours you can be in New York (by train, BWI airport stop) south to Williamsburg, Va. or Ocean City for the weekend.

If you like snow, Pittsburgh.
If you like a mild winter, Baltimore.

Both cities have crime, most of it in drug areas. We have spent countless hours walking around so many inner cities with high crime. Last fall we walked all over Philly, it looked just as safe as Wood & Fifth in Pittsburgh, maybe safer...

It's your choice..What do you like?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Both cities have crime, most of it in drug areas. We have spent countless hours walking around so many inner cities with high crime. Last fall we walked all over Philly, it looked just as safe as Wood & Fifth in Pittsburgh, maybe safer...
Pittsburgh does not have a remarkable crime nor drug problem for a city of it's size.

Baltimore can most definitely not claim either. Not even a little.

My cousins from DC have a not-so-nice saying, lol, that "all the trash from DC moves to Baltimore."

Old 12-16-2007, 11:09 PM

76 posts, read 319,193 times
Quote:
"Pittsburgh does not have a remarkable crime nor drug problem for a city of it's size.
Baltimore can most definitely not claim either. Not even a little."

Although this is not a debate...I think you missed my point..it has nothing to do with city size....or crime rate.

If you walked down Formosa Way, in Homewood, (where the Police were told not to go into the area alone in the 90's!) compared to a drug/gun area in Baltimore you stand a similar chance of being a victim....your right the gun/drug area is larger in Baltimore, but just stay out of it and chances are you'll be fine.

Any inner city can be as safe as you make it. I remember a news story of a Baltimore resident being robbed in an Hazelwood alley. Do you think he was sightseeing or buying heroin like the rest of the junkies in the same alley?????

Stay in a safe area and chances are you'll be fine in LA/Philly/DC/Miami and yes Pittsburgh or Baltimore...

Old 12-17-2007, 07:28 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
hehehe--guylocke, I think your cousins may be a bit clueless as many neighborhoods in Baltimore are being over-run with former DC residents at the tune of 300-500 thousand for a home; my neighborhood being one of them. Both Baltimore and Pittsburgh have reputations; Baltimore for it's drug-culture thanks largely to "The Wire" and Pittsburgh for it's somewhat boring atmosphere. But, I personally stay away from the "touchy" areas of Baltimore and love the fact that it is so active. Not to say I don't like Pittsburgh though: That view from the mountain into downtown is probably one of the best skyline views in the country. I was in Pittsburgh this summer on a weekend and was surprised to see the lack of activity and street-life that occurs daily in Baltimore.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 AM

237 posts, read 859,736 times
My ex-boyfriend was a transplant from Baltimore to Pittsburgh.

And actually, he claimed they had a lot in common, particularly, they consisted of neighborhoods and because of that you had bad neighborhoods bumped up against good neighborhoods. (which I do see here in Pittsburgh)

He hated the Inner Harbor, citing it as a tourist trap (he is no fan of Station Square either).

Also, he lived in quite a nice & expensive townhome. But he doesn't miss all that street activity, as he said he just got tired of hooker and junkies. Even in his nice area, a lot of the folks walking around on the streets were up to no good.

And I'm pretty sure that Baltimore's drug culture reputation pre-dates "The Wire"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City