Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 12:33 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
These are my three favorite neighborhoods in the city. Linden Hills has that adorable little commercial center plus all of Lake Harriet to enjoy and the streetcar up to Lake Calhoun in the summer; St. Anthony Park has such a healthy community vibe and the Finnish Bistro and the Bibelot are two of my go-tos; and Cathedral Hill just knocks it out of the park with the view of the cathedral up Selby, it's so beautiful all year round. And of course all three are super walkable and bikeable and have a ton of gorgeous homes as well.

Linden Hills
St. Anthony Park
Cathedral Hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times
A couple more from Minneapolis and St. Paul that haven't been mentioned:

Broadway: https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.99865...250.86,,0,1.89

Payne-Phalen: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.9...-0.24&t=h&z=18

Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 AM

338 posts, read 446,742 times
Lets all agree on one thing.. Google Earth is badass!

Love being able to show people around Pittsburgh on it and love exploring other cities like Minn and Seattle from the suggestions given.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Seattle is more expensive and has worse traffic then the other two, but that's for a reason. Seattle much more superior place to live for weather, career opps, beauty, mountains, water, outdoor activities, cosmopolitan, international feel, hipness, etc... The only reason to choose Minni or Pitt over SEA would be lower cost of housing and maybe less traffic.
Stay in your bubble buddy.

You don't have to participate in glad-handing the other two cities being discussed, but bad-mouthing them or putting Seattle on some imaginary pedestal (created by Seattlites like only Seattlites can) only makes you sound provincial. I can see a myriad of reasons to live in either Minny or Pitt, and I may actually prefer either to Seattle myself, but I can certainly see the merits of living there as well and don't need to pretend like either Minny or Pitt is far superior to fit my personal bias/agenda.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Stay in your bubble buddy.

You don't have to participate in glad-handing the other two cities being discussed, but bad-mouthing them or putting Seattle on some imaginary pedestal (created by Seattlites like only Seattlites can) only makes you sound provincial. I can see a myriad of reasons to live in either Minny or Pitt, and I may actually prefer either to Seattle myself, but I can certainly see the merits of living there as well and don't need to pretend like either Minny or Pitt is far superior to fit my personal bias/agenda.
It's all based on personal preference. I bike a lot, so does that make Minne better since it's flatter and easier to traverse by bike? No. It can be a reason for my preference, just like if I sailed a lot, Seattle would have my preference.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
It's all based on personal preference. I bike a lot, so does that make Minne better since it's flatter and easier to traverse by bike? No. It can be a reason for my preference, just like if I sailed a lot, Seattle would have my preference.
There's nothing wrong with personal preferences, it's when you start bad-mouthing other places OR acting like where you live is superior to every other place that people start getting irritated....and that's the reaction you're seeing from all non-Seattlites so far.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:42 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,838 times
Quote:
Seattle is more expensive and has worse traffic then the other two, but that's for a reason. Seattle much more superior place to live for weather, career opps, beauty, mountains, water, outdoor activities, cosmopolitan, international feel, hipness, etc... The only reason to choose Minni or Pitt over SEA would be lower cost of housing and maybe less traffic.
I've long tried to figure out the irrational hubris of many Seattle boosters on the site. I'm convinced that you could run a poll on virtually any subject: smartest squirrels, prettiest raindrops, best tasting radishes--it makes no difference --Seattle would be in the running as long as it was one of the choices.

There have been posters on this site that have started polls comparing Seattle to virtually every major city in the country--and in the world: New York, London, Los Angeles, San Francisco (numerous times), Tokyo, Sydney, etc. It's the only city I've noticed in which posters are constantly comparing it to cities which are several levels above it in the rational hierarchy of American or world cities.

Seattle is a wonderful city which fits in nicely with its peer American cities--among them Denver, Minneapolis, San Diego, Detroit, Cleveland, and Phoenix. Seattle is not New York, it isn't even San Francisco.

The only explanation I can come up with is that perhaps many of the Seattle posters have a relatively limited amount of exposure to other cities. It's kind of like raving about the really good restaurant next door, but never realizing that there are many really good restaurants if one explores a little.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 AM

274 posts, read 705,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I've long tried to figure out the irrational hubris of many Seattle boosters on the site. I'm convinced that you could run a poll on virtually any subject: smartest squirrels, prettiest raindrops, best tasting radishes--it makes no difference --Seattle would be in the running as long as it was one of the choices.

There have been posters on this site that have started polls comparing Seattle to virtually every major city in the country--and in the world: New York, London, Los Angeles, San Francisco (numerous times), Tokyo, Sydney, etc. It's the only city I've noticed in which posters are constantly comparing it to cities which are several levels above it in the rational hierarchy of American or world cities.

Seattle is a wonderful city which fits in nicely with its peer American cities--among them Denver, Minneapolis, San Diego, Detroit, Cleveland, and Phoenix. Seattle is not New York, it isn't even San Francisco.

The only explanation I can come up with is that perhaps many of the Seattle posters have a relatively limited amount of exposure to other cities. It's kind of like raving about the really good restaurant next door, but never realizing that there are many really good restaurants if one explores a little.
To be fair, I've seen the same kind of hype "bubble" created by many living in Minnesota as well. Like it or not, Seattle is idealized by many people, for a variety of reasons. Are there some people in Seattle that might be foolish enough to think it compares to New York as a pure city? Probably. If anything, I would say people in Seattle are more likely to have traveled than someone from Minneapolis, particularly internationally. Just look at the difference in flights to Asia and Europe.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
To be fair, I've seen the same kind of hype "bubble" created by many living in Minnesota as well. Like it or not, Seattle is idealized by many people, for a variety of reasons. Are there some people in Seattle that might be foolish enough to think it compares to New York as a pure city? Probably. If anything, I would say people in Seattle are more likely to have traveled than someone from Minneapolis, particularly internationally. Just look at the difference in flights to Asia and Europe.
The flights to Asia and Europe have to do with the fact that Seattle is on a coast, and the international flights are shorter. It's no secret that the majority of international flights depart from coastal cities. Many of those flights carry passengers from non coastal cities that had to make a connection in whatever coastal city they are leaving from. It has very little to do with how much of the city's population is "well traveled."

Old 06-27-2014, 11:05 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Someone needs to get out a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City