Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:27 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,132 times

Advertisements

oops I did not mean racist I mean prejudiced, sorry. I heard that Glendale had much prejudice towards others. I have heard that from Natives from Glendale.

Just wanted to see if that was true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:37 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
To whoever gave me the negative rep point, truth hurts about LA doesn't it. It is like Tijuana, crime, demographically and pollution wise. I guess when I don't agree with someones opinion I should give them a negative point too.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
I am unabashedly pro Southwest/West Coast: but; in Betty's case since she is evidently a fan of Eastern European culture if I read her posts correctly------she would be much better off in NYC or a similar East Coast city.

There is basically no 'ethnic' Anglo/White culture in the vein of Hungarian, Polish, Italian, Russian, etc. here (SoCal-Phx metro I 10 corridor). Being first generation US born of 1/2 Hungarian heritage I know of what I speak of

Old 12-18-2007, 08:58 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
i love both cities.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:04 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Quick digression:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Are you kidding me? I don't want to have children and not have a backyard for them to play around in. What about being a nice parent and picking your child up from school? You can't do that in a car in NYC. Where do people play sports in school? Everything is too small on Manhattan. You would need to go somewhere else. In LA, you can go to your own school and play football, basketball, baseball, and soccer outdoors, all year round.
This is one of my biggest - possibly my biggest - pet peeve about NY, my hometown. People equate the entire city with "Manhattan." I'm sorry, but at this point, if you think NYC and Manhattan are one and the same, you don't really know NYC. Manhattan is, of course, the center of it all, and it's great, don't get me wrong. But it's mostly (though not wholly, not yet) evolved into an enclave of the rich. If you want experience the NYC of the twenty-first century, the diversity, the teeming metropolis, the cultures, the cuisines, the dozens of languages, you MUST go to the outer boroughs. And in the outer boroughs, many people do stuff like pick their kids up at school. Which is the point - in the outer boroughs, you can find SOMEBODY who does pretty much ANYTHING in almost any way you can imagine. Manhattan is the cultural epicenter of America, if not the world, but it lacks the diversity (and I mean this in every way possible, not just cultural or ethnic) and fullness of the outer boroughs.

Okay, now to LA - in the interests of fairness, and not needlessly annoying the LA boosters, among us, LA does have some positive qualities. Though I like the change of seasons, the weather is nice. The Getty Center is absolutely gorgeous and a terrific museum. I found Venice Beach to be interesting - a traditionally 'bohemian' area on a beach seems like an anomaly to an East Coaster; here beaches are for jocks. Driving on the freeway with no traffic is fun. It is legitimately diverse, though it lacks the unifying aspect of the subway.

But it's a giant suburb, albeit one that has a few areas with tall, or very tall, office buildings. I'm sorry, but that's how I saw it. I stayed in Santa Monica, supposedly a more urban haven for pedestrians (I actually overheard someone refer to it as "land of the pedestrians"). You know what it reminded me of? A downtown area in a nice, upscale suburb in Westchester or Long Island. Ditto for Rodeo Drive and a few other famous areas of West LA. At no point did I ever feel like I was truly in a city. LA's nicer parts were quite nice - but they did not impress me at all. I also found the people to be rather rude, and, yes, New York girls are better-looking.

I could maybe see liking LA if you don't care much about having an urban environment or absolutely cannot stand the winter. But I'd never want to live there.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am unabashedly pro Southwest/West Coast: but; in Betty's case since she is evidently a fan of Eastern European culture if I read her posts correctly------she would be much better off in NYC or a similar East Coast city.

There is basically no 'ethnic' Anglo/White culture in the vein of Hungarian, Polish, Italian, Russian, etc. here (SoCal-Phx metro I 10 corridor). Being first generation US born of 1/2 Hungarian heritage I know of what I speak of

This is what I have been wanting to hear!! Perhaps we can elaborate a little bit more on this. Because you know what your talking about. I have some questions.

I how come Los Angeles " supposedly" has a substantial Russian population? Is it only because Los Angeles is a big city and therefore Russians "cannot" be avoided.

To elaborate. New York City is evident because for over 100 years the Russian/Slavic/Eastern European population has been coming to New York City area because that was the city with the most job opportunities at the time.

Over time there had developed many neighborhoods.

Now Los Angeles are for example, it is clearly understandable as to why there would be a higher "hispanic" population as opposed to a "slavic" one.

So how come there are so many Armenians/Russians in Los Angeles? I mean it is on the other side of the coast which is farther from Europe, middle east etc.

So how come Los Angeles is so diverse? is it just because it is a big city and there might be a coincedent number of those ethnic people.

But I mean was "Los Angeles" a city that experienced mass immigration? Or it just "populated" over time.

There is a difference between for example "Russian-Americans" and "Ethnic-Russians"

I think N.Y has more "ethnic" russians that had come to NY after fall of communism.

Was L.A a target for immigration from the Slavic States?? If so why?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 PM

274 posts, read 319,948 times
I'm sorry but Los Angeles just does not compare to New York at all. I used to live there and I was never impressed. I don't know what it is, but I never get that feeling of diversity when I lived in LA. It seemed like such a Mexican city with little pockets of "white" i.e., Brentwood, Beverly Hills. And yes, you can have children and a yard and still be very close to Manhattan. The boroughs , Westchester, Long Island, Connecticut, all of which have nicer suburbs than Los Angeles.

The beaches are beautiful on Long Island and very close to NYC.

...looks just like somewhere in the Caribbean.

New York City is fast, vibrant, exciting, full of successful people and a great place to leave your mark. Los Angeles is too laid back, bohemian and boring for me,...but it may work for you. You've been to both and should know where you felt more comfortable in.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
I'm sorry but Los Angeles just does not compare to New York at all. I used to live there and I was never impressed. I don't know what it is, but I never get that feeling of diversity when I lived in LA. It seemed like such a Mexican city with little pockets of "white" i.e., Brentwood, Beverly Hills. And yes, you can have children and a yard and still be very close to Manhattan. The boroughs , Westchester, Long Island, Connecticut, all of which have nicer suburbs than Los Angeles.

The beaches are beautiful on Long Island and very close to NYC.

...looks just like somewhere in the Caribbean.

New York City is fast, vibrant, exciting, full of successful people and a great place to leave your mark. Los Angeles is too laid back, bohemian and boring for me,...but it may work for you. You've been to both and should know where you felt more comfortable in.

I kind of understand what you are saying. I think when I was in L.A and New York City. I kind of felt "more comfortable" in New York, because it kind of fits my lifestyle more then Los Angeles when it comes to culture and diversity.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
I have a better idea of New York because I have visited more areas there, then Los Angeles.
What type of culture shock could you experience if a person went and moved to Los Angeles? Just as personal opinions??
In LA you will get stabbed in the back by someone trying to advance their career. In New York you will just get stabbed. LA is where being perpetually tanned until your skin turns to leather is considered beautiful. LA is where having money and knowing the right people matter most. LA is a place where if it fell into the ocean, the rest of the country wouldn't care (and probably would celebrate)-unless you had friends or family there. Don't believe the hype about LA being diverse. Just because there are tons of ethnic groups and races don't mean squat if no one trusts one another.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Funny group! BELIY? You've inquired about the opportunities available in both L. A. and New York associated with international business. You've also joined in to bash Los Angeles on many occassions with the usual L. A. bashing clowns on this site. It is fact that Los Angeles is more ethnically and culturally (and I'm not just talking arts and entertainment here) diversified than ANY other city in the world- no matter how many times you hear about L. A.'s Hispanic population being 90% Mexican (64%) or that New York has great weather and beaches with a healthy 'jock' scene (news to anyone with a middling brain stem) or that the people in New York are better people (unsubstantiated hubris). Now you know that one poster negated his entire thesis by asserting that women in New York were "better looking". That was easily dismissed, but really, if you are not a clever Slavic-speaking instigator of tired, jealous L. A. bashing and actually want to move to Moskva after your stint here in the states is up, then either place would be good for you, with a nod in New York's direction. If you believe the crap from some here regarding the characteristics of the City of Angels, I would rather not have you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City