U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:49 PM

74 posts, read 235,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I'm confused. I don't see how New York would appear any different if it were placed in the Gulf Coast.
It would look different because the mugginess and summer haze would distort the view. Maybe New York isnt the best example, but Im just stating that alot of cities appear to have nicer skylines when they are aligned with the ocean or a mountain due to the reflection of the water or framing given by the mountain range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:00 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,138,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbarto150 View Post
It would look different because the mugginess and summer haze would distort the view. Maybe New York isnt the best example, but Im just stating that alot of cities appear to have nicer skylines when they are aligned with the ocean or a mountain due to the reflection of the water or framing given by the mountain range.
Oh, I see what you're saying. But what if Houston was built right on top of Galveston Bay?

Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Oh, I see what you're saying. But what if Houston was built right on top of Galveston Bay?
It would be so cramped, but so pretty. Think how nice all those reflective blue glass buildings would look from the ocean with all the waves and sands beaming off their walls!! Problem is, where would we fit the 610 loop... lol

Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
It would be so cramped, but so pretty. Think how nice all those reflective blue glass buildings would look from the ocean with all the waves and sands beaming off their walls!! Problem is, where would we fit the 610 loop... lol
I don't want to be off topic, so...
The Houston forum chat/off topic thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:21 PM

Back on topic... I really think San Diego needs to be put in its place. Beauty and a large population really doesnt mean that the city is great. The same comes to mind with San Jose, but they are humble and understand how they fit into the grand scheme of American cities.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:27 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,063,213 times
Ok, I can understand how offended you. Dallas is wayyyy smaller city proper but I want you to tell me you can 100% tell that NY is bigger by standing in the middle of a NY street as a opposed to a Dallas street.
YOU CAN'T! sure NY is a lot more pedestrian friendly I will say so you see a lot more people on the street, but you can't tell. A city is a city, if you ask me I'd rather go to Mountains.
I understand NY has nice people (I REALLY DO!!!) it would be stupid of me to say everyone in NYC is a butt head egg thrower.
What does a lousy number mean? that Dallas is a hicktown? That Atlanta is small and insignificant. Well I'm sorry. New York is a huge economic giant, and crushes all US cities when it comes to the fact. But All I'm saying is that it seem to me that SOME of you New Yorkers think that America is New York, and New York only, anything across that river is full of waco conservative people.
Fine you win New York is bigger then Dallas, as if i didn't know already. But Seattle has a more impressive skyline then Dallas but it is smaller, please tell me how you can tell Dallas(or it doesn't have to be Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, San Francisco, Seattle, Houston...it doesn't matter) is smaller then NY. How???
What is a typical Texas?
What is a typical New Yorker?
Some of you apparently think comparing Dallas or Atlanta to NY is tabbo, liekcomparing apples to oranges.
Anyways, while I'm sure I've persuaded many New Yorkers Dallas needs to be put 'in its place'(as if i didn't already say), we should get on topic.
I appreciate those of you who approached with politeness by the way.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 PM

Im pretty sure if I stood on a street in the middle of New York I could tell by looking at the blocks upon blocks full of highrises and skyscrapers in front of me. You can definitely see the end of downtown when standing in Dallas.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:50 PM

4,148 posts, read 5,005,223 times
Quote:
Im pretty sure if I stood on a street in the middle of New York I could tell by looking at the blocks upon blocks full of highrises and skyscrapers in front of me. You can definitely see the end of downtown when standing in Dallas.

Not bigger just that it is denser. Sure in Dallas you can see an end to high rises but not city.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Not bigger just that it is denser. Sure in Dallas you can see an end to high rises but not city.
Good point.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:39 PM

676 posts, read 1,819,111 times
Quote:
Back on topic... I really think San Diego needs to be put in its place. Beauty and a large population really doesnt mean that the city is great. The same comes to mind with San Jose, but they are humble and understand how they fit into the grand scheme of American cities.
I there a rule book about city greatness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City