U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is a better place to live?
Pacific Northwest 73 51.41%
New England 69 48.59%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:04 PM

651 posts, read 392,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I'd say New England. I live in the Pacific Northwest and I think there are a lot of problems here. It's definitely not the utopian hippie paradise people think it is. Traffic is terrible, the weather sucks, the people are not friendly, the economy is awful outside of Seattle, way too much drug abuse and human trafficking, mediocre food. I could go on.

This refreshing post spilling over with the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 PM

1,863 posts, read 904,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Lived in both.

I'm a city dweller at heart, so my mind immediately goes to Boston vs. Seattle. Boston is a phenomenal city, and prefer it to Seattle. Same goes for Cambridge vs. Bellevue. Same goes for the Boston suburbs vs. the Seattle suburbs.

The charm in each area is so different- New England is quaint, nostalgic, practical, coastal, earthy crunchy. The PNW is more draw dropping, awe-inspiring, less developed, and has an earthy crunchy meets wild west vibe. For every one progressive millenial in the PNW, there's five folks who own guns and love to cut wood. That exists in NE, though not as prevalent.

Overall, both are very dynamic. NE is more cohesive, with Northern Maine being the only real outliers in my mind. PNW is a bit more isolated. I prefer NE as a whole.. Towns like Portland, Portsmouth, Newburyport, Salem, Burlington, Newport seperate the two in my mind. Plus, the foliage right now has my heart pumpin'.
Was just about to write a post on this thread. Donít remember writing this at all.. Maybe had a few Chardonnays that day.

But, I agree with my former, potentially lubricated self.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:00 PM

8,861 posts, read 9,067,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Was just about to write a post on this thread. Donít remember writing this at all.. Maybe had a few Chardonnays that day.

But, I agree with my former, potentially lubricated self.
That last sentence is not true at the present

Old 01-28-2019, 08:32 PM

1,074 posts, read 331,304 times
You said PNW refers to only Western Washington and Oregon, but don't forget Vancouver, BC.

Vancouver is the best part of the PNW, and it alone makes the PNW beat New England. If it weren't for Vancouver, it'd be a much closer contest.

I normally don't like The Western U.S. and root for The South a ton, but since it's the PNW vs. elitist, even more liberal, New England, I vote for PNW.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
You said PNW refers to only Western Washington and Oregon, but don't forget Vancouver, BC.

Vancouver is the best part of the PNW, and it alone makes the PNW beat New England. If it weren't for Vancouver, it'd be a much closer contest.

I normally don't like The Western U.S. and root for The South a ton, but since it's the PNW vs. elitist, even more liberal, New England, I vote for PNW.
Iíd assume we can then include Montreal in New England, yeah?

Montreal, to me, is a better city than Vancouver. Both, however, take a back seat to Toronto.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:35 PM

8,861 posts, read 9,067,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

Donít forget about the best part of New England, Quebec.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Donít forget about the best part of New England, Quebec.
Yeah, weíll take Quebec City too while we are at it.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:42 AM

651 posts, read 392,087 times
Wow.

Never thought that Canada could help Boston with anything,

'cept help us laugh at their driving.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:15 AM

16,777 posts, read 8,691,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Are Washingtonians just cold or rude? I have experienced the freeze and it's perplexing to say the least.....
I don't think either characterization is correct...people in the PNW tend to be focused on their career, work out, hikes, biking, skiing, etc. and just are not typically the gregarious outgoing type.

To answer the thread query, I prefer the PNW because of the mountains and less extreme winters. I would agree that New England offers a great lifestyle as well and offers better schools in general for example.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:10 PM

1,074 posts, read 331,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't think either characterization is correct...people in the PNW tend to be focused on their career, work out, hikes, biking, skiing, etc. and just are not typically the gregarious outgoing type.

To answer the thread query, I prefer the PNW because of the mountains and less extreme winters. I would agree that New England offers a great lifestyle as well and offers better schools in general for example.
Sure, New England has all the Ivy League universities. But when it comes to K-12, Vancouver BC takes the cake. Canadian K-12 is far ahead of their US peers, especially in a city as heavily Asian as Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City