Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is a better place to live?
Pacific Northwest 108 50.47%
New England 106 49.53%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 12:11 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,911,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Northern NE is 95% white with 1-2 urban areas.
How are you defining “urban areas”? I’d think that Northern New England has at least 3 between Burlington, Manchester, and Portland.

And I can pretty confidently say that southern NH is a lot more urbanized than eastern CT, where I’m living now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 12:14 PM

11,045 posts, read 12,313,043 times
I think "New England" is still an absolutely adequate term to use.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:37 PM

37,215 posts, read 60,933,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
How are you defining “urban areas”? I’d think that Northern New England has at least 3 between Burlington, Manchester, and Portland.

And I can pretty confidently say that southern NH is a lot more urbanized than eastern CT, where I’m living now.
I live in Southern Maine, from my town of 230 any city seems pretty urban.

However I do not think that is the commonly used meaning of urban.

Burlington Vt has 42,000
Manchester NH has 111,000
Portland Me has 66,000

Are these really 'urban'?

Old 10-18-2018, 02:43 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,413,478 times
Recently lived in Cape Cod, MA for a year and a half and have relatives in Seattle: ***Cost of Living vs. Wages - PNW, though at the rate of inflation is going in PNW, this will change. Both are ridiculously expensive. The homeless tent cities in Seattle are a prime example out what the out-of-control COL does to an area.
***Economic Opportunity - PNW
***People, Culture and Mentality - NE
***Education & Healthcare - NE
***Natural Scenery - PNW
***Climate and Weather - NE. MUCH prefer the snow and cold of NE to the cloudy, drizzly, dank, depressing climate in the PNW
***Government, Laws and Politics - There's not much political diversity or diversity of thought in either region, but at least in NE it's more live-and-let-live. The PNW is very hostile towards opposing views. Antifa is pretty much governing Portland these days. Uh, no thanks! lol
***History - NE
***Architecture - NE
***Zoning - N/A
***Quality of Housing - NE
***The Cities - NE
***Activities (Indoor and Outdoor) - PNW
***Lifestyle and Pace - tie
***General Vibe - NE

Old 10-18-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Are these really 'urban'?
Is this a trick question? Yes, I do think that they’re urban.

What other designation fits better? Surely you can’t be calling Portland rural?

Old 10-18-2018, 02:59 PM

37,215 posts, read 60,933,271 times
Quote:
Is this a trick question? Yes, I do think that they’re urban.

What other designation fits better? Surely you can’t be calling Portland rural?
Everyone has their own idea of what rural or urban means.

No town over 300 people can really be seen as 'rural'.

But I am not sure if 60,000 is really enough to be considered 'urban'.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Everyone has their own idea of what rural or urban means.

No town over 300 people can really be seen as 'rural'.

But I am not sure if 60,000 is really enough to be considered 'urban'.
Imo, just because it’s a small city doesn’t mean it’s not a city.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 PM

11,045 posts, read 12,313,043 times
Quote:
Imo, just because it’s a small city doesn’t mean it’s not a city.
Totally agreed.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:40 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,884,015 times
I just want to point out that the Pacific Northwest is now the top migratory destination region in the world for the two most expensive housing markets on the planet: Hong Kong and the San Francisco Bay Area. Ranking #1 and #2, respectively.

Vancouver is the largest recipient of Hong Kong expats of anywhere in the world, including places in mainland China. In contrast, Seattle and Portland are the largest recipients of former San Francisco Bay Area people than anywhere else outside of California. Here's a rhetorical question: how's the real-estate market doing these days? (LOL)

All of the major cities in the Pacific Northwest seem poised to become among the most expensive real-estate markets on Earth one day. Well at least two of them for sure. Vancouver already is but the others will eventually catch up as well. Your city is partially defined by the migrants it attracts and their spending power. If you made real-estate investments in the Pacific Northwest from 1960-1990 then you're due for a large pay-off and even more soon enough.

Anyhow, regarding this comparison, I admittedly really like Portland, Maine. Probably my favorite city in New England and second favorite in all of the Northeast after New York. Maine in general is awesome. That being said I would go with the Pacific Northwest here. It has three of my favorite major cities in North America with Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland and one of my favorite smalltowns in Victoria. I also like the scenic non-populated parts just as much as the cities, so all around it is a genuine like of almost every inch of the Pacific Northwest. That's probably my favorite region of the North American continent. Great cities, great outdoors, great topography, great culinary scene, great climate (for me), and just all around great region.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Vancouver is the largest recipient of Hong Kong expats of anywhere in the world, including places in mainland China. In contrast, Seattle and Portland are the largest recipients of former San Francisco Bay Area people than anywhere else outside of California. Here's a rhetorical question: how's the real-estate market doing these days? (LOL)
Per the OP, Vancouver isn’t part of the discussion. Unless you’re referring to Vancouver, Washington..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
By "Pacific Northwest," I am specifically referring to western Washington and Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City