Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times

Advertisements

Oh course, I meant CenturyLink. And the expanded capacity is 67,000 for soccer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 06:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,129,939 times
Just for reference, the United States already put together a list of the 18 cities that would host matches in 2022:

- Pasadena, CA [LA] (Rose Bowl)
- Los Angeles, CA [LA] (LA Memorial Coliseum)
- Arlington, TX [Dallas] (Cowboys Stadium)
- Landover, MD [DC] (FedExField)
- East Rutherford, NJ [NYC] (MetLife Stadium)
- Miami Gardens, FL [Miami] (Sun Life Stadium)
- Houston, TX (Reliant Stadium)
- Kansas City, KS (Arrowhead Stadium)
- Denver, CO (INVESCO Field at Mile High)
- Tampa, FL (Raymond James Stadium)
- Foxborough, MA [Boston] (Gillette Stadium)
- Seattle, WA (Husky Stadium and CenturyLink Field)
- Glendale, AZ [Phoenix] (University of Phoenix Stadium)
- Atlanta, GA (Georgia Dome)
- Baltimore, MD (M&T Bank Stadium)
- Philadelphia, PA (Lincoln Financial Field)
- Nashville, TN (LP Field)
- San Diego, CA (Qualcomm Stadium)
- Indianapolis, IN (Lucas Oil Stadium)

These cities were rejected by the U.S. in its final 2022 bid:

- Ann Arbor, MI
- Jacksonville, FL
- Charlotte, NC
- Cleveland, OH
- St. Louis, MO
- Detroit, MI
- Orlando, FL
- Oakland, CA
- Chicago, IL
- Palo Alto, CA
- Washington, D.C. proper (but a suburban stadium in Landover was chosen)
- Birmingham, AL
- Columbus, OH
- Knoxville, TN
- Two stadiums in Minneapolis, MN
- Tempe, AZ (but Phoenix - er, Glendale - would still host matches)
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Salt Lake City, UT
- San Antonio, TX
- Las Vegas, NV

Various other cities were eliminated in the first round of cuts in 2009; some names from this list include Buffalo, Athens (GA), Cincinnati, Columbia (SC), Fayetteville (AR), Gainesville (FL), Green Bay, Lexington (KY), Madison, and Tallahassee.

Personally, I think that U.S. Soccer might go back and reassess this list, but I can't really see any problem with the 18 cities already chosen. Kind of surprised that Chicago didn't make the final cut and Nashville did, though. Some of the chosen stadiums (such as the Georgia Dome) will also be replaced before 2022, but I don't think it will affect any of the winning cities.

Also, I should note that while Puerto Rico is officially part of the U.S., it has a separate football association and separate membership in CONCACAF and FIFA. In short, no U.S. world cup matches in San Juan.

- skbl17

Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
I am willing to bet that list of 18 cities would change a little bit should the US be back in the mix for the 2022 World Cup. I can't see Tampa being chosen given Raymond James lacks any type of roof covering. Teams will not be happy having to play a day game in Florida in June with the heat. There were some issues in 1994 the last time the US hosted as well as last year in Brazil with heat concerns.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:43 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I wasn't trying to suggest that the MLS stadia be used for WC games; obviously the much bigger and better NFL or college football stadia would have to be used (eg the Cowboys stadium in Dallas and the Ohio State stadium in Columbus). Also, I may be wrong on this but I believe most teams play at most in two cities in the preliminary round. Home country games vary from WC to WC -- sometimes it's all in one stadium and sometimes it's in as many as three.
Ah, I see...about the soccer stadiums.

As for the second part of your statement, I thought you were wrong so I did a little research. Interestingly what I found was that (I didnt look at every single match but I spot checked about seven or eight countries for each world cup) every single nation played its group matches in three different stadiums for every world cup (as I suspected) going back to '98 in France. However, at the last US event in '94 all teams played two matches at one stadium and then a third somewhere else. This could be in an attempt to control travel distance considering how massive the US is, but it could also be because the field was only 24 teams. So again, ever since the competition expanded to 32 teams, I believe that nobody plays a group stage match in the same stadium. Also note that stadium means stadium/venue, not necessarily city.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
The Georgia Dome will be nonexistent by the time 2022 rolls around.

Qualcomm may also see the wrecking ball by then, depending on what the Chargers down. L.A. more than likely will have their NFL team again, so chances are it'll be in whatever new stadium is built. Although they MIGHT put it in the Coliseum just for nostalgia

Old 09-27-2015, 09:02 PM

246 posts, read 230,288 times
2022 World Cup Host US Cities:

Present/Modern/New/Renovated Stadiums

Boston - Gillette Stadium, NYC - Met Life Stadium, Philly - Lincoln Field, Baltimore - M&T Stadium, DC - Fed Ex Field, Cincinnati - Paul Brown Stadium, Chicago - Soldier Field, Minneapolis - US Bank Stadium (2016 Completion), St. Louis - Edward Jones Dome, Kansas City - Arrowhead Stadium, Denver - Sports Authority Field, Seattle - Century Link Field, San Francisco - Levi's Stadium, Dallas - AT&T Stadium, Houston - NRG Stadium, Tampa - Raymond James Stadium, Miami - Sun Life Stadium.

* Cities/Stadiums not listed:

Los Angeles - This depends on the NFL Chargers, Raiders, & Rams to build a new stadium.

San Diego - Qualcomm Stadium is old & outdated to award as a host.

Phoenix - The mass transit system does not exist to move people around & despite to be nearby the Grand Canyon.

NOLA - The Superdome is old & outdated to award as a host.

Buffalo - No ground break to construct a new stadium for the NFL Bills nearby Niagara Falls & Toronto.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:33 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Th 2022 World Cup isn't coming to the US. Its staying in Qatar and it's going to be played in November and December. Enjoy when it comes.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:45 PM

246 posts, read 230,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Th 2022 World Cup isn't coming to the US. Its staying in Qatar and it's going to be played in November and December. Enjoy when it comes.
We shall see?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:48 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
Portland has the MLS' most entertaining fan base. It's too bad that they don't have an NFL sized stadium.

The atmosphere and vibe of a USA World Cup game in Portland would leap off the tv screen like everybody was watching it in 3D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City