Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,276,967 times

Advertisements

Also, for those who aren't following why Qatar would be stripped of the World Cup, here are a few key reasons:

1. They are exploiting several poor South Asian migrants. According to Qatari law, the workers are essentially slaves to the employer and must complete the job before they can return home. The migrants live in terrible conditions and do not have good access to clean water and proper nutrition. They are forced to work long hours in the Arabian desert heat. The construction conditions are not safe. Qatar is a nation of 2 million, and does not currently have the infrastructure to support this kind of endeavor. There will be at least 8 new stadiums built for the 2022 World Cup. 4000 migrant workers are expected to die constructing this, and that is only the most optimistic estimate.

2. For those of you who hate desert heat, imagine playing a full 90-minute soccer game (plus any stoppage time, extra time, and PKs, if necessary) at 2 pm on a 105F July day in the middle of Arizona. That will be a World Cup game in Qatar. Now, the Qataris have said that they will build open-air air-conditioned stadiums, but I have yet to see how that works. At least in Phoenix, the stadium has a retractable roof.

3. There are allegations of bribery, which are most likely true, but FIFA is corrupt anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,364,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
The problem is that's a Mexico game. The Mexican fans are crazy support active of there team and with large Mexican populations throughout the country sell out the G-Dome shouldn't be hard. No one knows if the Americans or another country will have the same consistent draw.

Their was just about every language known to man that night. I went, and was about the only Nordic guy there. Seattle is NOT that diverse.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,385,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Like I said, soccer sucks in America. We are one country.

You yourself listed cities with awful soccer cultures.... and in stadiums that have NOTHING to do with soccer.

So what's your point?
Oh yeah, and you, who said DETROIT has a good soccer culture, are right?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,587,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
A lot of people are showing how clueless they are about soccer. Someone posted that Seattle has no connection to soccer...I spat my drank out, that statement was so ridiculous. Then someone else saying that the US doesn't care about soccer. Y'all need to get out more; there were watch parties in almost every major city around the US for every USMNT game. Went to one in DT Orlando for the Portugal game that was at-capacity 1.5 hours before the game started.

Anyway, the U.S. already has a list of stadiums that it submitted and were approved:
- Rose Bowl
- LA Coliseum
- Cotton Bowl
- Fedex Field
- Cowboys Stadium
- MetLife Stadium
- Sun Life Stadium
- Reliant Stadium
- Arrowhead Stadium
- INVESCO Field at Mile High
- Raymond James Stadium
- Gillette Stadium
- Husky Stadium
- University of Phoenix
- Georgia Dome
- M&T Bank Stadium
- Lincoln Financial Field
- LP Field
- CenturyLink Field
- Qualcomm Stadium
- Lucas Oil Stadium

Therefore, the host cities would be:
- LA (2 stadiums)
- Dallas (2)
- DC
- NYC
- Miami
- Houston
- KC
- Denver
- Tampa
- Boston
- Seattle (2)
- Phoenix
- Atlanta
- Baltimore
- Philly
- Nashville
- San Diego
- Indianapolis

I think TCF stadium was approved as well and with the completion of vikings new stadium I think that would give MPLS 2 as well.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,448,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Their was just about every language known to man that night. I went, and was about the only Nordic guy there. Seattle is NOT that diverse.
What? What does diversity have to do with this? Im talking about a city drawing enough domestic fans to be worth wild. Seattle at the moment is the only city were the MLS is more popular then one of the big 3 sports (thy are more popular then the mariners and the mariners actually have a winning record).

Old 07-13-2014, 03:21 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,838,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Now that Qatar would most likely be stripped of hosting the World Cup in 2022, it's likely that the US would be the host countries. Which cities do you think should host matches?

These cities don't have to necessarily have to be MLS cities.

Here are more choices

Austin
... Austin?

Old 07-13-2014, 03:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,665,276 times
So, these were suppose to be the host cities for 2022

Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,448,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
So, these were suppose to be the host cities for 2022
What? Where did you find that?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,976,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
A lot of people are showing how clueless they are about soccer. Someone posted that Seattle has no connection to soccer...I spat my drank out, that statement was so ridiculous. Then someone else saying that the US doesn't care about soccer. Y'all need to get out more; there were watch parties in almost every major city around the US for every USMNT game. Went to one in DT Orlando for the Portugal game that was at-capacity 1.5 hours before the game started.

Anyway, the U.S. already has a list of stadiums that it submitted and were approved:
- Rose Bowl
- LA Coliseum
- Cotton Bowl
- Fedex Field
- Cowboys Stadium
- MetLife Stadium
- Sun Life Stadium
- Reliant Stadium
- Arrowhead Stadium
- INVESCO Field at Mile High
- Raymond James Stadium
- Gillette Stadium
- Husky Stadium
- University of Phoenix
- Georgia Dome
- M&T Bank Stadium
- Lincoln Financial Field
- LP Field
- CenturyLink Field
- Qualcomm Stadium
- Lucas Oil Stadium

Therefore, the host cities would be:
- LA (2 stadiums)
- Dallas (2)
- DC
- NYC
- Miami
- Houston
- KC
- Denver
- Tampa
- Boston
- Seattle (2)
- Phoenix
- Atlanta
- Baltimore
- Philly
- Nashville
- San Diego
- Indianapolis
If Minneapolis gets an MLS team, I assume one of those cities will be bumped as Minneapolis will have 2 soccer-ready stadiums - new Vikings stadium and TCF Bank stadium.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:54 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,466,560 times
I would go with

LA 2
NYC
DC
San Francisco 2
CHI
Dallas 2
Seattle
Atlanta
orlando
Phoenix

Rose bowl hosting final, and rfk stadium or LA memorial coliseum hosting opener
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City