Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More beautiful city?
Vancouver 65 55.56%
San Francisco 52 44.44%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,563,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, I am pointing out the inaccurate observation made by the OP. Vancouver does not really have an 'unparalleled ocean setting' because it's farther away from the open ocean than many cities actually, including San Francisco.

In fact, the OP himself admits this when he concedes that Vancouver's more inland location causes it's less oceanic beaches to be more pleasant in the summer, which is true because compared to SFs beaches, Vancouver's feel like a lake.
Good grief. Let it go already. Ok, so it's not 'unparalleled". It's simply an "ocean setting". Whatever. Vancouver is still killing it in this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Quote:
No, I am pointing out the inaccurate observation made by the OP. Vancouver does not really have an 'unparalleled ocean setting' because it's farther away from the open ocean than many cities actually, including San Francisco.

In fact, the OP himself admits this when he concedes that Vancouver's more inland location causes it's less oceanic beaches to be more pleasant in the summer, which is true because compared to SFs beaches, Vancouver's feel like a lake.
Well to a point, there is some middle ground as I think you are now driving your point to extremes. There are beaches on Cape Cod facing the open Atlantic that do not have nearly the magnitude of surf that the Pacific has on the shores San Francisco. And for the second time I said unparalleled mountain (you forgot that again, it's an integral feature of Vancouver) and ocean setting. It's not the open ocean, but it has a very palpable ocean effect. Vancouver's waters or Salish Sea as its now called are much broader and not as landlocked as than San Francisco Bay or even Puget Sound as the Salish Sea has through passages for ocean currents. The pods of orca whales offshore would be a pretty good indication that you are not "by the lake".

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-15-2014 at 10:46 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Good grief. Let it go already. Ok, so it's not 'unparalleled". It's simply an "ocean setting". Whatever. Vancouver is still killing it in this poll.
Darling, poles are for strippers. I win debates.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,563,245 times
Quote:
Darling, poles are for strippers. I win debates.
Wow. Carry on then, superhero. We stand humble in your presence.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,088,236 times
Silly talk above about downplaying Vancouver's coastal setting. It is truly ocean and mountain as well as forest in setting. Plus the glistening glass high-rises.

Although SF is in a completely different league than Vancouver, I think Vancouver's scenery & setting is more pristine. If we're talking about diversity of landscape within 1 hour radius- SF wins- but city limits vs. city limits, than Vancouver.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:09 AM

LOL no one is downplaying anything, but its a total exaggeration to say that Vancouver has an 'unparalleled ocean setting'(talk about bizarre) when it' looks more like a lake compared to cities with far more breathtaking oceanfront locations that look and feel like oceans.

Not just SF, but also LA, SD, Honolulu just in the west.

Let alone other oceanfront cities like Rio, Sydney and Cape Town.

Talk about #fail.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
LOL no one is downplaying anything, but its a total exaggeration to say that Vancouver has an 'unparalleled ocean setting'(talk about bizarre) when it' looks more like a lake compared to cities with far more breathtaking oceanfront locations that look and feel like oceans.
Oh wow, look at the dead horses! Bizarre? Talk about being melodramatic. Bizarre would have been more along the lines of Denver for solely be an ocean setting. And for the third time, (yes third time since you are quoting me) I said unparalleled ocean AND mountain setting (mountain being a key word for Vancouver), which in North America is unparalleled. In the future, don't quote me unless you can do it accurately. I think I've been pretty fair about this so far, so we can move on now. Unless you like beating dead horses. You've won the pissing contest since that is so important you. Good grief!

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-16-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Dont get me wrong.

This is very nice. I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgWJlazMHyU

But it doesnt look or feel as breathtaking or awesome as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA0Mqzt-PgQ

IMO.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:17 AM

All I'm saying is you aren't quoting me accurately, you forgot the mountains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Gt6gJWzeg

Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Dont get me wrong.

This is very nice. I guess.

But it doesnt look or feel as breathtaking or awesome as this:

IMO.
Well you could have picked a better beach or coastal setting in Vancouver (Stanley Park, Jericho Beach, Lighthouse Park). If it were July or August I'd rather be in the water on the shores of Stanley Park or Jericho Beach in Vancouver looking out at the mountains. Any other time of year, yeah I see could myself somewhere like Baker Beach with a hoodie on taking in the surf and Golden Gate bridge, which as a beautiful iconic landmark in and of itself is unparalleled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhEdTfs7U5E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City