Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Knoxville/Memphis
Knoxville 80 50.31%
Memphis 79 49.69%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:44 AM

2,830 posts, read 4,557,147 times

Advertisements

Memphis is more popular because of history and the fact that the city actually have a pro sports team.

Knoxville is arguably 4th in my opinion and Chattanooga would be third because it's more of a tourist town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:01 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,185,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not talking about all the mountain tourist towns 45 min-1 hour outside of Knoxville; they are destinations in their own right and people visit Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, GSNP, etc. without ever setting foot in Knoxville.
Market Street, Gay Street, and UT are popular destinations so I wouldn'tgo as far to say they don't even set foot there. Without the metro, I would place the most popular large cities in this order:

Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Murfreesboro.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:27 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,968,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Memphis is more popular because of history and the fact that the city actually have a pro sports team.

Knoxville is arguably 4th in my opinion and Chattanooga would be third because it's more of a tourist town.
Definitely Memphis between these two, but Nashville would rank first, then Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:06 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Market Street, Gay Street, and UT are popular destinations so I wouldn'tgo as far to say they don't even set foot there.
Market and Gay streets don't appear to be unique to the point where they offer anything different or better than what can be found in the downtowns of the mountain towns. UT would probably only be visited by fans or alumni first and foremost; I don't see it as a special draw for folks visiting towns 45 min-1 hour away.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:20 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,185,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Market and Gay streets don't appear to be unique to the point where they offer anything different or better than what can be found in the downtowns of the mountain towns. UT would probably only be visited by fans or alumni first and foremost; I don't see it as a special draw for folks visiting towns 45 min-1 hour away.
I'll give you that they are not unique to many other mountain towns, but for the region they are a big draw. You also have the Tennessee River with its own draw for nature enthusiasts, as well as many moderate to difficult trails/greenways throughout the city. It's not Las Vegas tourism (none of these cities are), but I believe those attributes deserve credit where credit is due. Knoxville also has the only Apple Store for a large region, including Western North Carolina, South Western Virginia, East Tennessee, etc., and other first to market retail offerings that give another reason for people to visit. UT is visited by many world renowned engineers, health care, life sciences and government researchers with TVA, and I would argue that fans count as tourists, there are many UT fans here in Nashville (all of that orange gets on my nerves after a while lol, but like country music, you don't even think about it) that make the trip for home games. Most people watch programs based in Knoxville all the time such as HGTV and Jewelry Television, and probably didn't even know it.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 11,486,631 times
Knoxville does not identify as a tourist town per se. There are a number of conventions and also street rod / motorcycle(gold wing) gatherings that take advantage of the geographical location and inexpensive lodging. And of course UT games and concerts bring in visitors. But it aint Gatlinburg and we don't want it to be.

Market square truly is a unique experience and I would encourage any of you traveling through the area near lunch or dinner time to get off the interstate and join us for a meal and a prime people watching experience. I think it's a jewel.

I'm not sure what other mountain towns Mutiny refers to. There's more going on in Asheville, less in Roanoke, about the same in Chattanooga. But they all offer different environments and are worthy of a visit if you are in the area. Asheville of course is a tourist destination by itself. It's just not worth it for an Atlantan to drive the extra miles when you can have the experience of "getting out of town" in Chattanooga. You will encounter visitors in Knoxville from Asheville and other WNC locales just because people like to go someplace different for a change.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
My point was originally in response to a post that says that Knoxville wins if you throw in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, GSNP, etc; although they are in the Knoxville metro, they have their own appeal and tourist target populations which are separate from Knoxville and folks visit those areas which are 45 min-1 hr from Knoxville without ever setting foot in Knoxville itself. They are two completely different markets for the most part.

And I'd say many Atlantans think Asheville is worth a trip over Chattanooga; they are pretty distinct cities that offer different types of experiences.You'd be surprised at the draw Asheville has for folks from metro Atlanta.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 11,486,631 times
Actually Sevier county is no longer part of the Knoxville Metro. I agree that's where the draw is. It helps Knoxville's economy because a lot of the suppliers and specialty service providers (electricians, H/A, etc.) are based in Knoxville. Some conventions and motor clubs see the mountains as an added attraction but no one since Bart Simpson has ever gotten in their car and driven long distances to Knoxville solely for a tourist experience.

It doesn't surprise me a bit that Asheville has a draw for Atlantans. But I notice the Chattanooga visitor ads feature a narrator with a deep south AA accent - I'm guessing that Atlantan AAs are a big part of their target market. You don't see too many Black tourists in downtown Asheville.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:40 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Memphis... BY FAR.

Quote:
That's not the only reason.

The music scene, Beale St., and Elvis are big factors, as well.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:29 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,840,724 times
I gotta go with memphis on this one as far as the nation goes despite the poll numbers, on City Data maybe Knoxville but in real life i hear more about Memphis

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 07-12-2015 at 07:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City