Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 AM

403 posts, read 666,230 times

Advertisements

If I was to make a list:

1. St. Louis, Missouri (I live here)
2. Phoenix, Arizona (the weather is the main detractor here)
3. Death Valley
4. Las Vegas, Nevada (it isn't as bad as Phoenix at least, and it's actually liveable as I've been there during the summer and survived. I can survive 105-110 as it's rarely humid here, but it's still uncomfortable)
5. Dallas, Texas
6. New Orleans, Louisiana (it might only hit 90-91 there on average, but the humidity makes it feel as if it's 114).
7. Anywhere in South Carolina.
8. Denver, Colorado
9. Los Angeles, California
10. Birmingham, Alabama (I can survive it)
11. Atlanta, Georgia (it's miserable)
12. Miami, Florida
13. San Antonio, Texas
14. Houston, Texas
15. El Paso, Texas (at least the humidity isn't that bad)
16. Albuquerque, New Mexico (I love the weather in Santa Fe however)
17. Tucson, Arizona
18. Kansas City, Kansas or Missouri
19. Salt Lake City, Utah
20. Redding, California (I had to visit it one time on a long road trip, and it felt miserable).

Which cities have the worst weather during the summer in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:07 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
You didn't mention DC. Steaming tropical swamp in the summer.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
If I was to make a list:

1. St. Louis, Missouri (I live here)
2. Phoenix, Arizona (the weather is the main detractor here)
3. Death Valley
4. Las Vegas, Nevada (it isn't as bad as Phoenix at least, and it's actually liveable as I've been there during the summer and survived. I can survive 105-110 as it's rarely humid here, but it's still uncomfortable)
5. Dallas, Texas
6. New Orleans, Louisiana (it might only hit 90-91 there on average, but the humidity makes it feel as if it's 114).
7. Anywhere in South Carolina.
8. Denver, Colorado
9. Los Angeles, California
10. Birmingham, Alabama (I can survive it)
11. Atlanta, Georgia (it's miserable)
12. Miami, Florida
13. San Antonio, Texas
14. Houston, Texas
15. El Paso, Texas (at least the humidity isn't that bad)
16. Albuquerque, New Mexico (I love the weather in Santa Fe however)
17. Tucson, Arizona
18. Kansas City, Kansas or Missouri
19. Salt Lake City, Utah
20. Redding, California (I had to visit it one time on a long road trip, and it felt miserable).

Which cities have the worst weather during the summer in your opinion?
Wow...you think LA has worse summer weather than Texas, Tucson, Miami, Atlanta, and Birmingham? Weird because your list makes it seem like you despise heat and humidity...LA summer weather is not humid and tops out at 85F most of the time...

I think the worst summer weather is San Francisco...overcast and cold. Summer is supoosed to be warm.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
For me, ideal summer temps are 70-85 if there is high humidity, and 80-95 if there is low humidity. With that in mind, some cities I'd rather not be in during the summer include:

1. San Francisco. I know some neighborhoods are better than others but for the most part it's too chilly for me. Luckily there are enough microclimates in the Bay Area that you can be somewhere warmer in a short distance.
2. Houston. I'm not sure there are many places in the world that get quite as hot AND humid as Houston does in the summer.
3. Dallas for largely the same reasons as Houston and ditto for
4. New Orleans.
5. Phoenix due to the dangerously high temps in the summer.
6. Ditto for Vegas.
7-10: Pick a city in the southeast.

Most everywhere else has pretty nice summer weather. The lower Midwest areas can get pretty swampy like the south but the upper Midwest normally has fantastic summer weather with less frequent swampiness. Most of the Western cities outside of Phoenix, Las Vegas, desert SoCal, etc. aren't too bad in the summer due to the dryness, and because they don't experience the aforementioned temperature extremes. New England cities mostly have phenomenal summer weather as do the two big Pac NW cities, Seattle and Portland, as they are far enough inland to escape the coastal chill. Southern California is hit or miss. Inland San Diego and Los Angles see some nice warmth in the summer but coastal areas can be a little too mild in the summer while other areas, like the San Gabriel and San Fernando Valleys, can get HOT. In San Diego it seems like the warmer time of year is more late August through mid October rather than your traditional summer months, which has its pluses and minuses.

Last edited by Bluefox; 07-25-2014 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 10:31 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I think the worst summer weather is San Francisco...overcast and cold. Summer is supoosed to be warm.
So, by that token, you also believe that Winter is "supposed to be cold?"

Old 07-25-2014, 10:43 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
OP, have you ever spent multiple summers in Los Angeles? I don't understand why it's so high on your list, compared to other cities.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 AM

403 posts, read 666,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
OP, have you ever spent multiple summers in Los Angeles? I don't understand why it's so high on your list, compared to other cities.
My list isn't in order at all.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:09 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
The Desert SW by far.

Phoenix, Palm Springs, and Tucson are the worst I've ever experienced.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Any city in the middle of the country from Texas to Minnesota is miserable. In that central corridor, you get oppressive heat, humidity, thunderstorms and hailstorms, tornadoes, and in the North terrible mosquitoes.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
For me, I prefer humid heat. I understand it is oppressive at times, but the reason it is for me is because of all the bugs like mosquitoes. Dry intense heat like in Phoenix or Vegas just feels like going into an oven. I would rather have a 90F with humidity than 110F and very dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City