U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 AM

7,463 posts, read 4,265,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Underrated: Providence, Hartford, New Haven, Buffalo, Rochester, Pittsburgh, Albany
I donít think Hartford or New Haven is underrated. Theyíre both kind of dumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:46 AM

3,083 posts, read 1,307,263 times
Most underrated/overrated has a lot to do with personal experiences and preferences, expectations (reasonable and unreasonable), "legacy" "past glory", TV/movie impressions, etc. So it's natural that there would be a good range of different cities/metros on both lists. These are places I'm using a "living" yardstick, not "visiting". There are a lot of places I love to visit, but wouldn't want to live (and vice versa). I have years personal experiences in all 6 of my over/unders (lived in Boston for a year and a half 2017-2018).

Overrated: New York City, Boston, Raleigh.

Underrated: Philadephia, Pittsburgh, Tampa.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 PM

13,107 posts, read 17,584,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'd rank [Philadelphia] behind only Chicago for best bang for your buck, but then again I don't get off on the percentage of my neighbors who have graduate degrees.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:06 PM

22,249 posts, read 31,557,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Philly is so completely underrated. I think people on this site fixate too much on median household income as if that would actually affect them. Your career pays roughly what your career pays, with a reasonable variance from city to city. Most people's income isn't going to go up that much if they move to Seattle, DC or San Francisco. Philly offers a top-notch urban lifestyle with the cost of living below Denver or Minneapolis. I'd rank it behind only Chicago for best bang for your buck, but then again I don't get off on the percentage of my neighbors who have graduate degrees.

oddly enough which large DT in the country has the highest proportion of residents with post grad degrees?

many might be surprised that is actually Philly

but I do agree that Chicago and Philly offer the best bang for buck among larger cities/DTs

the thing about Chicago and Philly is that neither are exactly cheap but not as bad as most others in the category. Also they likely both have more dichotomy (high and more ,lower income) driving many metrics down

I believe both Chicago and Philly are top ten among per capita income (I know at least Philly is) so its not as if they are devoid of income etc.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:46 PM

7,426 posts, read 5,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Guaranteed he never drove through Inman ,Candler or Grant Parks,Druid Hills,VA-Hi, or even spent time in Piedmont or Centennial Olympic Parks or Buckhead to call it a dump amd then somehow praise Baltimore of all places.

I dont mean to say Baltimore is bad but it has a longer way to go than Atlanta for sure.Not even close.
Slow down my friend..

People from Baltimore love Atlanta, and Atlanta appears to be fond of Baltimore, so let's not take shots.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 PM

358 posts, read 264,616 times
always interesting reading what ppl find overrated about NYC in particular.....one thing I found for many certainly not all is that for many there NYC experience often times starts,stays and ends on the isle of Manhattan.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:36 PM

2,834 posts, read 4,074,700 times
I thought Richmond was very overrated. For all the fuss that some make it out to be on here, I could not/ didn't see why. It was just another mid size city. It's certainly not in the next league with cities like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and the like as some would have you believe. It doesn't even have any of the major pro teams. Ok little city, but HIGHLY overrated. The Richmond city of commerce should really pay some of you on here for boosting it the way you do.

I thought Cleveland was a bit overrated. I'm judging it to its peers like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Denver. I did not find Cleveland to be as good as these other cities.

Underrated:

NYC,-for me there is nothing overrated about NYC. It's basically this countries top urban destination. Too many people just go to Manhattan and skip the better parts of NYC. The other boroughs are were a lot of that magic is at.

Chicago,-Another great city. Too many on here bash it, but Chicago is another excellent city. They talk about crime, but crime is down compared to twenty years ago. Chicago is another urban delight. Just love Chicago. Never understood some of the hate on here for basically a very urban place.

Los Angeles, -another great city. It's not NY or Chicago in layout, but it is very urban and a treasure in my opinion. The weather and scenery are just as good as anywhere in the country in my opinion, and things are only getting better. There are areas in Los Angeles metro that I'm not crazy about. For instance, I liked Santa Monica twenty years ago, now I can't stand it. Too urban for a beach town. Venice is better, and less pretentious.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 02-17-2019 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 02:51 PM

4,405 posts, read 2,110,163 times
There's a great quote in this interview with the South Philly rapper who just wrote a best-selling children's book, "P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever," about what makes Philadelphia attractive to New Yorkers - more New Yorkers move to Philadelphia than vice versa each year.

It's a great quote, from a Brooklynite who moved here:

"It's like 80 percent of New York at 20 percent of the cost."

But I agree that the city I live in is underrated. And no one underrates it more than the locals.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 PM

233 posts, read 98,906 times
Overrated:
Cleveland
Louisville
Atlanta
Austin

Underrated:
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Chicago
NYC
MSP

Old 03-19-2019, 11:12 PM

8,748 posts, read 6,020,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Overrated:
Cleveland
Louisville
Atlanta
Austin

Underrated:
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Chicago
NYC
MSP
Disagree with the bold... Especially Jacksonville... What's underrated about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or