Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 05:55 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times

Advertisements

Overrated= D.C.,Charlotte and Raleigh
Underrated=Baltimore,Louisville(if it counts),Richmond,Norfolk and Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Overrated: Its tough to judge an entire city to be overrated, but I have to say DC is a little bit overrated in my opinion. I honestly think it is the vibe I get being out. Its either too fancy or just a bar full of overgrown frat boys living the good ole days again. There are not as many relaxed/chill places were you find a local band just playing on a random corner in an old school neon lit bar like you could in most of the other large cities north of DC. I have never lived there though, so maybe I am wrong.

Underrated: I don't know if this city is underrated, but I think I would go with Seattle. Seattle gets overshadowed by its California cousins to the south, but I kind of believe Washington has a lot to offer in a much a smaller area than California. The mountains, the ocean, the rain forest are all within a short driving distance from Seattle. Watching Orca whales jump out of the water near the San Juan islands was a better experience than I could have ever imagined.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Overrated: Its tough to judge an entire city to be overrated, but I have to say DC is a little bit overrated in my opinion. I honestly think it is the vibe I get being out. Its either too fancy or just a bar full of overgrown frat boys living the good ole days again. There are not as many relaxed/chill places were you find a local band just playing on a random corner in an old school neon lit bar like you could in most of the other large cities north of DC. I have never lived there though, so maybe I am wrong.

Underrated: I don't know if this city is underrated, but I think I would go with Seattle. Seattle gets overshadowed by its California cousins to the south, but I kind of believe Washington has a lot to offer in a much a smaller area than California. The mountains, the ocean, the rain forest are all within a short driving distance from Seattle. Watching Orca whales jump out of the water near the San Juan islands was a better experience than I could have ever imagined.
We are talking about Eastern cities...Seattle is on the West Coast. There is another thread for Overrated Western Cities if you wanna post there about Seattle.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:17 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Why is Boston overrated?
I'm guessing. I don't know for sure but I'm basing my answer from what I've heard. That's why I put a question mark at the end of "Boston".
I may see for myself since I may visit Boston later this year. I'm sure Boston is a fine city with lots to offer.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Nope--that's fairly accurate. Being relaxed/chill is something DC is terrible at being, and there is a strong cliquish undercurrent to the social atmosphere, which is exactly what you've alluded to with the "overgrown frat" vibe.

Other than the strong elements of douchbaggery, though, the city itself is great.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:54 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
I'm guessing. I don't know for sure but I'm basing my answer from what I've heard. That's why I put a question mark at the end of "Boston".
I may see for myself since I may visit Boston later this year. I'm sure Boston is a fine city with lots to offer.
I think what your hearing is that Boston is not like the mega-cities of NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. in fact, its a rather small city along the lines of SF and DC. But like SF and DC, Boston is considerably more influential than its size would indicate, it is the world's top city for medicine and education it is also one of the world's top ten centers for biomedical research and finance.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,099 times
overrated: atlanta, dc,

underrated: bmore, orlando, pittsburgh, jville

Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Philadelphia & Pittsburgh are probably the most underrated. Overrated is a matter of personal taste, but I'd be satisfied if I never visited Boston or DC again.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
There are not as many relaxed/chill places were you find a local band just playing on a random corner in an old school neon lit bar like you could in most of the other large cities north of DC. I have never lived there though, so maybe I am wrong.
You will find these in surprising and unlikely places. Downtown Silver Spring, which is in Maryland right next to DC, has free outdoor concerts and shows on the weekends. It's a vibrant area. I haven't looked for this in DC proper, but I'm sure in places like U Street/Cardozo, Penn Quarter, Adams Morgan and other places, you will find similar.

It's not something that a tourist will always stumble upon, but the locals will certainly know where things are happening. Here is some more info:

Free Summer 2014 Concerts in the Washington, DC Area

Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm treating east as east of the Mississippi River.

Most Overrated:
  • Manhattan: Great and all, one of the world's urban gems, but there is still a whole city in the remaining four boroughs that people often seem to forget about. Places like Astoria, Long Island City, Downtown Brooklyn, and Williamsburg have made great strides in recent years. Places like Harlem and the Grand Concourse area are nothing like they were in the '80s. Riverdale in the Bronx was one of the very few places in NYC that suffered few effects from the fires, heroin and crack that ravaged the rest of the borough for decades; today, Riverdale remains a place that makes you forget you're in NYC. Nonetheless, I still wouldn't call the rest of NYC underrated at all.
  • South Florida: Great for the high quality beaches and the Keys, and I enjoy visiting, but the suburban lifestyle is something I can find anywhere else in the USA, minus the Northeastern transplant attitudes. But man, oh man, the Keys are awesome! Yet I still list South Florida b/c at the end of the day, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach are where the people live, and not Monroe County (the Keys).
  • Atlanta: I could write a series of novels on how horribly, horribly overrated Atlanta is. Being a two-time visitor, several days each time, was way more than enough for me to know how not great that place is. What a dump.

Least Overrated: I will just regard this as plain ol' underrated.
  • Baltimore: horrible crime situation, yes, but a city that is earnestly trying, with some success, to regain its old glory. I wish them nothing but the best. An easily overlooked jewel in the early historical development of America.
I'm particularly fond of downtown Harlem. Also, Brooklyn has Flatbush (people get scared because of what they hear in rap songs. The area actually has some awesome shopping and eateries) and Fulton, which, to me, are far more enjoyable than the overcrowded 5th Ave.

I live in FL. Went to Miami several times, trying to convince myself to like it. I simply cannot. Key West is a much more interesting "party town," and isn't nearly as snooty.

Atlanta, not sure why people like it... The city "core" is very underwhelming, and, well, there was just nothing at all that stood out about it. Nothing to make it unique... Aside from the mess that is the "spaghetti junction."

Lastly, I'll agree with you on Baltimore. That pier area is gorgeous. I'll never forget, growing up, going there with my cousins and dining while overlooking the water and the old ships at the port.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City