Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times

Advertisements

Making this in the style of the other thread about out West. Here goes:

Overrated: New York City. I liked it when I went...it just isn't as amazing in my opinion as everyone made it out to be. The people were rude, it was dirty, and there wasn't enough greenery there in my opinion. I do want to get back there and see more things though.

Underrated: Miami. Seems a lot of people knock it because either they are racist and hate Latinos or because of the weather. Sure it has problems, but I find it to be a really beautiful place, has more culture than many realize, some of the country's best beaches, and the Everglades right there. Cannot wait to get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
You may see some overlap with this thread, just FYI: Northern Cities: Most Overrated and Most Underrated

Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Ooh. This is gonna get bad, fast.

Overrated, Orlando. Underrated, Portland, ME.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
Overrated: Boston (Boston is a nice city...but I think it's overhyped, especially from a tourist perspective).

Underrated: Philadelphia

Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
I'm starting to think Providence is overrated. I like the city, but all I hear in New England is how underrated Providence and Portland are. I'd say Lowell is underrated.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Making this in the style of the other thread about out West. Here goes:

Overrated: New York City. I liked it when I went...it just isn't as amazing in my opinion as everyone made it out to be. The people were rude, it was dirty, and there wasn't enough greenery there in my opinion. I do want to get back there and see more things though.

Underrated: Miami. Seems a lot of people knock it because either they are racist and hate Latinos or because of the weather. Sure it has problems, but I find it to be a really beautiful place, has more culture than many realize, some of the country's best beaches, and the Everglades right there. Cannot wait to get back.
Hey H, I have some parks that I think you'll probably like once you travel up to New York again. If you haven't visited them that is.

Prospect Park in Brooklyn (it's a very eclectic and colorful park that most BK residents consider it superior to Central Park).

Van Cortlandt Park in The Bronx.

Pelham Bay Park in The Bronx (a fairly wild park like RCP in DC. You'll see wildlife that you would never have thought existed in NYC).

Flushing Meadows in Queens.

Tompkins Square Park in Manhattan (Careful after dark, long-timers claim that one can still come across cat-sized rats there, there might be a nest somewhere in the vicinity).

Riverside Park (a more popular alternative for Uptown residents over tourist-heavy Central Park, however, you'll have locals in the northern parts of CP).

The High Line in Manhattan (it straddles the Meatpacking District and Chelsea neighborhoods).

City Island in The Bronx.

Bronx Park (where the BX Zoo and Botantical Gardens are).

You'll find some pretty good greenery options when you go back up there and I might be missing a few more, but those are some of the alternatives to Central Park that locals will entice you with. Hope that helps

Last edited by tcave360; 07-29-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Overrated: NYC underrated: Burlington, VT

Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
I used to think NYC was overrated until after I'd lived here for a few years. Now I don't want to say that anyplace is.

Underrated: Baltimore, MD. It's a pretty interesting present-day city with a ton of important history, and yet somehow gets frequently forgotten on lists of major eastern cities. And even with a declining population it was still bigger than both DC and Boston until pretty recently.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Overrated: Boston and NYC. Just didn't live up to the hype.
Underrated: Miami. Most people just see what's on the news and assume that's what Florida is like 24/7. If I was going to live in any East Coast metro, it would be Miami. Would probably try to stay in Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:07 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Overrated: Asheville & Charleston

Underrated: Savannah, Cleveland, & Buffalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City