Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:08 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,905,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Making this in the style of the other thread about out West. Here goes:

Overrated: New York City. I liked it when I went...it just isn't as amazing in my opinion as everyone made it out to be. The people were rude, it was dirty, and there wasn't enough greenery there in my opinion. I do want to get back there and see more things though.

Underrated: Miami. Seems a lot of people knock it because either they are racist and hate Latinos or because of the weather. Sure it has problems, but I find it to be a really beautiful place, has more culture than many realize, some of the country's best beaches, and the Everglades right there. Cannot wait to get back.
Miami seems overrated to me, actually. Downtown/Brickell were pretty cool, but the rest of the County seems on a fast downhill trajectory (at least the Northern/Eastern portions I saw; maybe Coral Gables, etc. are better). Even Aventura seems like it's starting to reach its tipping point. My girlfriend and I were very disappointed when we visited last Spring, and we're not racists who hate Latinos (we found the white trash-dominated South Beach scene especially underwhelming).

Those are just my perspectives as a tourist. Maybe it's better as a place to live (in the right parts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,722,220 times
Quote:

Overrated: New York City. I liked it when I went...it just isn't as amazing in my opinion as everyone made it out to be. The people were rude, it was dirty, and there wasn't enough greenery there in my opinion. I do want to get back there and see more things though.

Underrated: Miami. Seems a lot of people knock it because either they are racist and hate Latinos or because of the weather. Sure it has problems, but I find it to be a really beautiful place, has more culture than many realize, some of the country's best beaches, and the Everglades right there. Cannot wait to get back.
So because people don't want to kearn Spanish in a country where English is the legal language,they are racist?

Personally I think NYC is rated about right.Never want to live there though.

Miami is actually overrated IMO.(No not because you like it do I say this).
Its nightlife,its downtown feels sterile and people tend to be more superficial.

I think Atlanta is underrated.It has some great neighborhoods,proximity to some really cool places,a cool burgeoning Film scene ,a welll known music scene,huge assets that are know world wide like Coca Cola,CNN.CDC.tv shows like "The Walking Dead" and the weather is really an assent.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 AM

The thread is about EASTERN CITIES.Typically that means EAST of the Mississippi River.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 AM

676 posts, read 951,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So because people don't want to kearn Spanish in a country where English is the legal language,they are racist?
We have no official language.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 AM

9,103 posts, read 13,119,630 times
Quote:

I used to think certain cities like Boston, Atlanta, Chicago and yes even New Orleans, were overrated. Until I actually visited them and realized they were actually kind of cool. Most cities have multiple things to do, you just have to been open minded to appreciate them. And smaller cities can also be appreciated simply because they are small!

Btw New York actually has more of its land area devoted to parks, about 20%, then most other US cities. I think New York is in the top 5.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,151,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post

Overrated: DC
Underrated: Phoenix
Umm...Phoenix is out West...

Old 07-31-2014, 03:15 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,856,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Overrated: Boston and NYC. Just didn't live up to the hype.
Underrated: Miami. Most people just see what's on the news and assume that's what Florida is like 24/7. If I was going to live in any East Coast metro, it would be Miami. Would probably try to stay in Ft. Lauderdale.
In no way, shape or form is NYC or Boston over rated. They are two of the world's greatest cities.

Miami, sans South Beach, is a dump.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
We have no official language.
Florida official language is English.Its in the Florida constitution.Many states recognize English as the official language.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:03 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,905,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
In no way, shape or form is NYC or Boston over rated. They are two of the world's greatest cities.
Something can be "the best" and still be over-rated.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,272,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post

Miami, sans South Beach, is a dump.
And that's exactly what I mean. Everyone says "There's no way they're overrated! They are top cities in the world!" And I go in for a visit, and they are great cities. But just not as great as people make it seem. The way people hype those two cities you would think they were the closest thing to heaven.

And I can tell you've never been to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City