Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better for urban big city living?
boston 25 58.14%
dc 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:23 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Boston feels more urban than DC.
Downtown DC is a bit quiet and sterile for me. There was this saturday I was walking in DC and wondering "where the hell are the people"? I didn't see many patio restaurant or cafes, or grocery stores that open to the street that you would expect from an ultra-vibrant city. Maybe I was not in the right neighhourhood (it was about 15 minutes walk to the White House) but it was definitely city center. The buildings and street all look nice and clean, but there are simply not a lot of pedestrians.

Then I headed to Georgetown, and that seemed a lot busier.
I agree that downtown DC functions more as a business/political and museum/tourist center and less so as a place to hang out at night. The neighborhoods around DC seem to have the bustle in the evenings, not the core downtown district around the White House. I'm not a DC expert but I've been there a few times now since I have family there and each time has gotten better the more that I explore. Georgetown, as you mentioned, is very upscale urban. Adam Morgan (kind of like Queen West) is another area. Dupont Circle has lots of nightlife, patios and some very good restaurants. Foggy Bottom is another cluster of bars, more younger crowd I think. Penn Quarter downtown is typical tacky urban downtown vibe - like midtown NY. U Street Corridor is another section with lots of bars and nightclubs.

DC is not as dead as you think at night if you are in the right neighborhoods, all of which are quite urban in form. But DC does not seem as focused on one central area (i.e. like a Times Square or CopelySq/Faneuil Hall) so it doesn't jump right at you in one fell swoop. Instead, it feels more spread out in clusters throughout the city.

Last edited by johnathanc; 08-01-2014 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:38 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
These are both pretty close in terms of big city lifestyle.

Boston is a more centralized city. It has 5 or 6 neighborhoods (Fenway, South End, Back Bay, Downtown, Beacon Hill, North End) that compose Boston's core or Manhattan if you will. Some areas are pretty residential and others like the Financial District can be a little 9-5ish. But, on the whole these neighborhoods are all seamlessly interconnected and consistently vibrant 7 days a week. On a Saturday you can walk go on a 3-mile walk and be in a lively pedestrian environment the whole time. The downside is that this area is pretty small geographically and while the surrounding neighborhoods are relatively dense and walkable (Allston, South Boston, East Boston, JP, Brookline, Charlestown, Somerville, Cambridge) they don't necessarily give off a really urban, big city feel. Lots of wooden houses with small yards.

DC, on the other hand, is more a city of neighborhood commercial strips. With the exception of a couple blocks around Gallery Place, DC is basically an office district. It's not completely dead, as there are some hotels, night clubs and restaurants sprinkled throughout, but it doesn't compete with Bos, Philly, SF, Chi (or even Seattle) for bustling downtown activity.

Instead, activity in DC is concentrated in Georgetown, Dupont, Adams Morgan, and the 14th street corridor. These activity centers aren't as tightly integrated as in Boston so you don't get as much of the big city downtown feel. They are also primarily residential so they don't have the big city architecture that you get in central Boston. The plus side, is that it can make DC feel a little bigger in sense. DC is less active in the core, but is probably more modestly active over a wider geographic area.

From a COL standpoint they are pretty comparable. Since Boston is more centralized it costs more (on a quality adjusted basis) to live in the center. But, Boston is on the whole marginally more urban, so there are probably actually more affordable options for living in a safe area with street life and close to transit (particularly in the 2nd ring areas Somerville, Cambridge, Allston, etc).

It is really a preference a concentrated urban core or a more dispersed zone of activity?

Last edited by jpdivola; 08-01-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 11:10 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Boston feels more urban than DC.
Downtown DC is a bit quiet and sterile for me. There was this saturday I was walking in DC and wondering "where the hell are the people"? I didn't see many patio restaurant or cafes, or grocery stores that open to the street that you would expect from an ultra-vibrant city. Maybe I was not in the right neighhourhood (it was about 15 minutes walk to the White House) but it was definitely city center. The buildings and street all look nice and clean, but there are simply not a lot of pedestrians.

Then I headed to Georgetown, and that seemed a lot busier.
Go to Penn Quarter, Chinatown/Gallery Place, K Street between 16th and 24th Streets (preferably at night), and CityCenterDC next time you make a return trip down here, most especially during the tail-end of the workweek and the beginning of the weekend. The after-work crowd and Downtown nightlife crowd can be found in those neighborhoods/areas of DTDC. And if you'll have time, check out some of the residential neighborhoods (I know you said you visited Georgetown) for an even more thorough experience of the city away from Downtown and the 'Washington' official grandeur. Downtown has gotten much better over the years but it still has some things to work out in order to be fully vibrant across the board. I can imagine the beautiful sight of street cafés lining up and down Pennsylvania Ave with the iconic sight of the Capitol Building in full view with the theater crowd lining up to a show at the National Theater and visitors booking their rooms and suites at the upcoming Trump hotel coming to the Old Post Office Pavilion with a newly rejuvenated Freedom Plaza outside of protests. It would be nice to liven that part of Pennsylvania Ave up!

Last edited by tcave360; 08-01-2014 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 11:49 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I agree that downtown DC functions more as a business/political and museum/tourist center and less so as a place to hang out at night. The neighborhoods around DC seem to have the bustle in the evenings, not the core downtown district around the White House. I'm not a DC expert but I've been there a few times now since I have family there and each time has gotten better the more that I explore. Georgetown, as you mentioned, is very upscale urban. Adam Morgan (kind of like Queen West) is another area. Dupont Circle has lots of nightlife, patios and some very good restaurants. Foggy Bottom is another cluster of bars, more younger crowd I think. Penn Quarter downtown is typical tacky urban downtown vibe - like midtown NY. U Street Corridor is another section with lots of bars and nightclubs.

DC is not as dead as you think at night if you are in the right neighborhoods, all of which are quite urban in form. But DC does not seem as focused on one central area (i.e. like a Times Square or CopelySq/Faneuil Hall) so it doesn't jump right at you in one fell swoop. Instead, it feels more spread out in clusters throughout the city.
I'd say you've just about nailed it. Pretty accurate description!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
. Georgetown, as you mentioned, is very upscale urban. Adam Morgan (kind of like Queen West) is another area. Dupont Circle has lots of nightlife, patios and some very good restaurants. Foggy Bottom is another cluster of bars, more younger crowd I think. Penn Quarter downtown is typical tacky urban downtown vibe - like midtown NY. U Street Corridor is another section with lots of bars and nightclubs.
funnily when I was visited Georgetown, those two/three story retail houses immediately remind me of Queen West. They are strikingly alike!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:09 PM

3,863 posts, read 5,289,162 times
I get why people may be underwhelmed by DC initially, especially after they get a chance to see the monuments and museums.

My experience with the city was similar. First two visits as a tourist are awesome, touring the museums and sites are fantastic. Next couple visits for work, the place just seemed dead in too many pockets downtown. Then after further visits and actually exploring and branching out, the place really grows on you in a good way. The neighborhoods around the city are really interesting, both architecturally, visually and have tons of things to do all hours of the day.

The City Center project should help tie the main core into how vibrant the neighborhoods are hopefully. I am not sure how long until the entire project is built out, but they seemed to be making good progress last time I was there.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
No question - Boston. Like no question.

Sorry DC. You have too much Sunbelt/South in you, and it shows. You're also too political.

Boston has a very dense and important financial district, a built environment that once supported densities that approached a citywide average of 16,550 ppsm (and it was nearly what it is today in terms of population back in 1900). DC peaked at 13,000 ppsm and only had 278,000 people in 1900 (50% of what Boston had in 50% more land area).

I really love Boston, but its biggest knock for me is its nightlife, or lack thereof. It doesn't have an edge, like anywhere, and bars/nightlife are existent but lame and shut down. Gay scene? Pretty small and fairly conservative/boring. DC has a better gay scene, at least. And better nightlife. But that doesn't excuse its mishaps in my mind.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
DC feels bigger, is bigger and downtown swallows up Boston. The urban nodes around DC proper immediately connect and are stronger than what surrounds Boston. I've been to beantown twice and loved the urbanity/density. It's more tight knit but I do not think it gives of a "larger" feel. I suggest many posters to visit 2014 Washington DC and understand than no EC city has boomed like this in a long time. The city is growing by leaps and bounds. In 10 years this won't be a credible thread anymore. DC all the way.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:43 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
When was the last time you visited Boston? Boston is the Life Sciences/Medical Research hub of the entire world. It is undergoing its own enormous economic boom, which means apartments, office, medical office, and institutional buildings going up like crazy. I'll admit it's not on DC's level, but much of DC's new construction is SUPER sterile and bla, and definitely doesn't contribute to the kind of urban vibe I like.

I'll take Dupont Circle or Logan Circle's older areas any day over the 10+ story infill going up all over DC. So in that sense, what I "like" in DC is limited compared to what I "like" in Boston and surrounding areas. I don't think the two compare.

Also, for office districts, I'll take the truly mixed-use Back Bay any day, as well as the old dense canyons of the Financial District along the waterfront in Boston over the sea of single-use ~10 story office buildings in DC. Boston feels much more like a city in this regard.

Finally, to put a nail in the coffin, Boston has established urban shopping. I think this is important. Back Bay is about as good as it gets in this country. I think it competes with Union Square in SF and quite frankly with Fifth Ave and Madison Ave and SoHo in NYC, in terms of experience and breadth. Plus it's super easy to just walk from Newbury or Commonwealth over to Fenway to catch a game (and talk about an area with tons of new construction similar to what you'd find in DC).

For me that's end of discussion.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:55 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
The key word(s) in all of that was "I like." Which is fine, liking is subjective, but more people are moving to DC than Boston to live and that's a fact. DC has plenty of architecture in the city that are not 10 story office buildings, so stop cherry picking the neighborhoods u like. I could argue about the looks of buildings all day but I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City