U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 04:56 PM

12 posts, read 12,670 times

Advertisements

The center of the US is in Lebanon, KS.
That town is by proximity closer to Colorado than it is to Missouri, so by proximity, Colorado is more in the center between the Pacific and Atlantic oceans than Missouri is. Denver is also over a day away drive from Los Angeles, and is closer to Chicago than it is to San Diego.

Ohio, on the other hand, is only roughly a 6-8 hour drive away from Atlantic City, NJ. Also, it's more than a full day away drive from Topeka, KS, and is over 2000 miles away from Los Angeles.

So, by ignoring the cultural division and focusing on proximity between the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, should Colorado be considered Central and Ohio be considered East?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 05:51 PM

854 posts, read 1,118,439 times
I always thought Ohio ought to be considered eastern until I visited there and realized it's indeed very Midwestern and doesn't "Feel" like the Northeast at all.

I think the reason is because Colorado is still largely defined by its mountains (even though Denver is in the plains, it derives identity from the mountains), has a typical Western landscape of dry steppes in the lowlands and fire-prone forests in the uplands, and has a considerable Hispanic/cowboy presence and a lot of Californian transplants. Ohio on the other hand has a very similar culture and landscape to the states west of it like Indiana and Illinois, though to be fair it's very similar to Pennsylvania and upstate New York too. The main reason Ohio isn't considered Northeastern is because it was never part of the original 13 colonies.

I do think the far eastern towns and prairies of Colorado are essentially identical to Kansas and Nebraska and do feel more Midwestern than they do like somewhere like Fallon, Nevada.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:33 PM

4,476 posts, read 7,313,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I always thought Ohio ought to be considered eastern until I visited there and realized it's indeed very Midwestern and doesn't "Feel" like the Northeast at all.

I think the reason is because Colorado is still largely defined by its mountains (even though Denver is in the plains, it derives identity from the mountains), has a typical Western landscape of dry steppes in the lowlands and fire-prone forests in the uplands, and has a considerable Hispanic/cowboy presence and a lot of Californian transplants. Ohio on the other hand has a very similar culture and landscape to the states west of it like Indiana and Illinois, though to be fair it's very similar to Pennsylvania and upstate New York too. The main reason Ohio isn't considered Northeastern is because it was never part of the original 13 colonies.

I do think the far eastern towns and prairies of Colorado are essentially identical to Kansas and Nebraska and do feel more Midwestern than they do like somewhere like Fallon, Nevada.
Gave you a rep for this. I couldn't have said it better.

I felt the exact same way about Ohio.. and then I visited and understood why it is considered midwestern... Though Cleveland and Youngstown are exceptions with lots of similarities to neighboring Pennsylvania.. as you mentioned.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:29 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,810,750 times
Ignoring culture/geographically speaking, Colorado is a large state. While Denver and the Plains areas of Eastern Colorado are closer to parts of the Western Midwest, the Western half of Denver is more geographically closer to areas in New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and the general West, than it is to areas in the Midwest, like Kansas City, St.Louis, Chicago, Omaha, etc. As Spicymeatball said, Colorado is defined by it's Rocky Mountains/Western-Half of the state, more so than it's Plains/Eastern-Half, therefore Colorado is more defined by it's proximity to the states West of it and therefore thought of as a Western-State, more so than TRUE Central states, like Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, etc.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:44 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,810,750 times
Ohio on the other hand, if you were to ignore culture, It does seem like it's pretty far East. But then again, when you see how long Pennsylvania is from East-West, and you realize Ohio is West of PA, than Ohio does feel Midwestern.....albeit extremely East-Midwestern. Yeah, Ohio is The "Eastern" Midwest.

Even though Pennsylvania technically doesn't touch the Atlantic Ocean, Philly and Eastern PA is so close, that the various coastal Beach towns in Southern NJ, get their media and spear of Influence from Philly. PLUS, there's a series of rivers and estuaries and waterways that connect Philly to the Atlantic Ocean(Delaware River, Delaware Bay, Delaware Estuary). But with Ohio, the Eastern most edge of Ohio is still far enough from the actual Atlantic Coast, that Ohio could never be considered a TRUE "east-coast" state like Pennsylvania.

Even though I can't see Ohio being grouped with TRUE Central/Midwestern states like Kansas, and Nebraska, I still think the geographic ENTIRETY of the state is collectively too far from the Atlantic coast to be considered an "east-coast" state.

I'm sure there are folks even from Pittsburgh/Western PA who've never seen the Ocean, now remember that Ohio is WEST of Pittsburgh/Western PA. Heck, there are even folks from Middle PA who've probably never seen the ocean. Mid-PA feels like the Midwest, now think about Ohio being WELL West of Mid-PA.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,176,538 times
I've never even visited Ohio, so I have no personal experience to base this on -- I know it's considered a quintessentially mid western state in some circles, but I've always considered it the east. I grew up in California, so any place within a six-hour drive to New Jersey is "east" to me. It also has a lot of cities and it's natives have a clique-ish OH- IO .. feel to them.

Colorado is interesting. I lived in that state for a few years. As a westerner, I've always thought of Colorado as the west. It's cowboy country to me. However, a lot of people who grew up in the mid west who relocated there considered it mid western.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:40 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,402,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project525Project252 View Post
The center of the US is in Lebanon, KS.
That town is by proximity closer to Colorado than it is to Missouri, so by proximity, Colorado is more in the center between the Pacific and Atlantic oceans than Missouri is. Denver is also over a day away drive from Los Angeles, and is closer to Chicago than it is to San Diego.

Ohio, on the other hand, is only roughly a 6-8 hour drive away from Atlantic City, NJ. Also, it's more than a full day away drive from Topeka, KS, and is over 2000 miles away from Los Angeles.

So, by ignoring the cultural division and focusing on proximity between the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, should Colorado be considered Central and Ohio be considered East?
Personally I would put Ohio in the Great Lakes state group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or