Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:09 PM

211 posts, read 519,200 times

Advertisements

Overrated: Chicago
Underrated: Cleveland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 07:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
Overrated: Chicago
Underrated: Cleveland
Lol no...the ratings on those two cities are perfect as they are.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
I would call all the Midwestern cites under rated. the Midwest in general is under rated too everyone wants to go to a coastal city, and forget about whats inside. maybe that's why i think the Midwest is the best representation of America, because its whats on the inside that counts XD
it's not just cities, Chi…it's the midwest in general. What would happen if you took an east or west coaster to a place like Mackinack or Door County and let them experience the coastal flavor; they'd think they were on Cape Cod since both these places are incredibly nautical. There is plenty of great scenery and even hilly terrain in the midwest that is well worth the visit.

and it thoroughly gets me how folks on the northeast corridor talk about midwestern climate. sure, a costal climate is more temperate that a continental one, but the wide differences the northeasterners see between their summers and winters and ours are laughable. especially when it comes to snow which seems to dump on them more readily than it does on us.

I was in San Francisco one December and froze my ass off from the cold, chilly damp air blowing in from the Pacific; it was the type of air that goes right through you and coming from Chicago didn't do one thing to make me feel warmer.

It's ok. Let them think what they want, but to me, it's a lot of crap.I don't know about others, but I find plenty of days in both a Chicago summer and Chicago winter when I'm operating at a thoroughly comfortable level when I go outdoors, my functioning not the least bit curtailed.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
I don't dislike Indianapolis, I actually find it to be one of the friendliest cities outside the South. I do think it has significantly less destinations for people nearby than similarly sized metros like Cincinnati or Cleveland. I was pointing out that this is because the nearby population base is much larger because there are more very close (1 hour drive) metros to CIN and CLE than Indy has. (Those cities also have major influence in West Virginia and eastern Kentucky)

Indy's greatest success is a functional state government that is business friendly. If you looked through the state to state migration charts the NY Times did you'd notice that one Midwestern state is attracting MORE people from other states: Indiana. They have the same weather, same "boring" topography but are gaining jobs and people. I'm not fond of all conservative politics but it is true you have to be competitive with other states. Otherwise people leave.

Specific to Indy vs Cincy... Indy also has a much better airport. Delta moved its hub from Cincy but still has a near monopoly at CVG, making it America's most expensive airport. All the while the number of non stop destinations are going down. It hinders job growth in Cincy significantly (It's one reason Toyota engineering and Chiquita recently left).

Old 08-25-2014, 05:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I don't dislike Indianapolis, I actually find it to be one of the friendliest cities outside the South. I do think it has significantly less destinations for people nearby than similarly sized metros like Cincinnati or Cleveland. I was pointing out that this is because the nearby population base is much larger because there are more very close (1 hour drive) metros to CIN and CLE than Indy has. (Those cities also have major influence in West Virginia and eastern Kentucky)

Indy's greatest success is a functional state government that is business friendly. If you looked through the state to state migration charts the NY Times did you'd notice that one Midwestern state is attracting MORE people from other states: Indiana. They have the same weather, same "boring" topography but are gaining jobs and people. I'm not fond of all conservative politics but it is true you have to be competitive with other states. Otherwise people leave.

Specific to Indy vs Cincy... Indy also has a much better airport. Delta moved its hub from Cincy but still has a near monopoly at CVG, making it America's most expensive airport. All the while the number of non stop destinations are going down. It hinders job growth in Cincy significantly (It's one reason Toyota engineering and Chiquita recently left).
I don't really care for Midwest cities because they tend to have a lot of crime and high taxes but I do like Indy. People were super friendly when I visit Indy Super Bowl weekend. Indy is a good event city I also went their once for the Final Four despite this I like the cities in the South better like Nashville and Atlanta. Chicago is a great City but its super expensive if I am going to pay that much for rent I am moving to a warm weather city like LA or Vegas. Just my two cents. Have a blessed day.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I don't really care for Midwest cities because they tend to have a lot of crime and high taxes
You have never lived in New York or New Jersey. You will learn about high taxes in those places.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:09 PM

688 posts, read 1,246,964 times
To answer the question-
underrated: Omaha NE

Old 12-16-2014, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,950 times
Default Been there, done that...

I used to live in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and I have lived in Chicago for over ten years and still reside in Chicago. I never thought I'd say this growing up but the Twin Cities is by far a better place to live than almost any place I've lived or visited - and I've been to a lot of different cities in the U.S. Chicago is overrated and the people are not really that friendly. Drivers are really, really rude. St. Paul is underrated - definitely - and I wouldn't compare it with Milwaulkee. Milwaulkee is a . Really, the Twin Cities is the best place to live in the nation, despite the cold. Whether you live in MPLS, St. Paul, or one of the suburbs - you really just live in the Twin Cities. It's not nearly as divided as the Chicago metro. area is, for example.

The Twin Cities does have its sketchy areas (north side of MPLS, southwest side of MPLS - and at least years ago - Selby and Dale and the red light district close to downtown St. Paul. But, these areas have felt safe compared to the West side of Chicago and other gang and drug infested neighborhoods of Chicago.

If you want good food, try Omaha Nebraska. Chicago's food sucks for a big city. I think New York City might have better food.

Speaking of overrated - San Francisco. Pee on the streets from the homeless - earthquake bound - really expensive - what's really to like? San Diego is much better. It's irritating that professional conferences always book San Fran. Not really a good place.

La Crosse, WI is an interesting town to visit. Beautiful bluffs and river. Some historic places that are kinda cool. Yeah - the town can be an alcoholic's delight, but what itsn't?

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-17-2014 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-16-2014, 04:40 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,425 times
Quaid... All I will say is. If you cannot find a area in Chicago you feel safe in and can afford? By all means.. Try to move. I did move back to my home state after 6 years in Chicago. But I did regret that move missing my years in Chicago.
But not being a homer or happy apparently in Chicago? Surely try to move where you were happier.
I totally disagree though.... that Chicago is overrated. But I respect your opinion.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:46 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Cleveland's comeback hasn't been underrated per-se, I think most people are giving credit where credit is due, at least on this site. However, Cleveland's reputation, in the eyes of the majority of the population, is still vastly underrated given the improvements that have occurred here in the past 5-10 years. It's obviously taking some time for the city to shed its old reputation, but I think people are starting to catch on.
This!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City