Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Closest to Manhattan lifestyle
SF 41 22.40%
CHI 84 45.90%
PHILLY 26 14.21%
LA 4 2.19%
BOS 7 3.83%
DC 11 6.01%
Other 10 5.46%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,631,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
No, you claimed that DTLA was so similar to Manhattan that it's used as a stand-in for it, ignoring the fact that the LA film industry recreates pretty much every single spot in the world locally due to cost considerations. It's untrue (they are dissimilar), and your reasoning is ridiculous.
I can assure you that you don't know what you're talking about. Literally everything you've just said is false. Its not cost considerations. In recent years, a lot of cities have been poaching LA's business by offering major financial incentives to studios that opt to film their movies or TV shows in their cities. LA cannot match these incentives, and has lost a lot of film shoots to other cities in the past decade. Its a massive local issue that LA's city leaders are currently trying to solve.

So despite the financial advantages of filming in Vancouver or Baton Rouge or whichever other cities are waving around money to Hollywood, studios usually still opt to shoot in DTLA if they need to do scenes set in Manhattan. That should tell you something.

But please- tell me more about my city and the film industry, oh wise one from Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM

98 posts, read 131,653 times
Quote:
So despite the financial advantages of filming in Vancouver or Baton Rouge or whichever other cities are waving around money to Hollywood, studios usually still opt to shoot in DTLA if they need to do scenes set in Manhattan. That should tell you something.

I've seen Vancouver passed off as Manhattan before, but it didn't look believable to me. Toronto plays Manhattan in movies all the time though.

I can't imagine Baton Rouge as Manhattan haha.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:27 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,775,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
"urbanity" and "lifestyle" are such subjective things, really. I know I would personally feel the least lifestyle shock moving from NYC to LA than to any of the other cities on that list, even though a lot of the superficial things are compleeeeetely different!
I don't see how you are differentiating legitimate and "superficial" things between the two cities. If you take away anything labeled as superficial, then ALL cities would be similar to one another. I've lived in New York City and LA and, besides the Media and Fashion industries DistrictDirt mentioned, there are huge differences in, well, almost everything. Architecture, transportation, work ethic, scenery, personalities, and of course, weather.

That's not to say LA or New York is worse than the other. But the question was, which city was the closest to Manhattan style living? I think all of the ones in the poll can be legitimately considered, for various reasons, though none are quite similar.

You could add LA to that list as well, but the only similarity would be the presence of media and fashion (the first LA dominates by far and the latter NYC dominates by far). I would also say, outside of this, no real similarities besides both living in big cities.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,144,030 times
LA is similar to NYC on many levels-the diversity of people, food, things to do, and a big city feel. The difference is that NYC is more walkable, more skyscrapers/density, and the subways. LA has more space and actual homes, as opposed to apartments, and more people use cars because of the sprawl. LA is also more relaxed; life tends to be centered around the outdoors (hiking in the hills, mountains, etc) or the beach due to the nice climate.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,223,067 times
Downtown Toronto looking South. Yorkville in the foreground, financial district in the background.

Toronto
by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,654,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I can assure you that you don't know what you're talking about. Literally everything you've just said is false. Its not cost considerations. In recent years, a lot of cities have been poaching LA's business by offering major financial incentives to studios that opt to film their movies or TV shows in their cities. LA cannot match these incentives, and has lost a lot of film shoots to other cities in the past decade. Its a massive local issue that LA's city leaders are currently trying to solve.

But please- tell me more about my city and the film industry, oh wise one from Milwaukee.
You proved his point...

Old 08-20-2014, 01:06 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,490,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
You proved his point...
Haha, no kidding!

A nice dose of the SoCal attitude (pointing out that I live in, horror of horrors, Milwaukee) as well. Most likely a transplant and not a true local. Unfortunately, the area is packed with these "people" and they reflect very poorly on the laid-back natives. I've spent many months of my life from LA through Orange and San Diego due to work, have many friends out there, and am pretty familiar with the nuances. I got that same "Wisconsin, when are you moving out?" response quite frequently from this type. My response was always, "well, the people are a lot better there, and that's what's really important." Generally, they got the point. This character...probably not!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,619,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I don't see how you are differentiating legitimate and "superficial" things between the two cities. If you take away anything labeled as superficial, then ALL cities would be similar to one another. I've lived in New York City and LA and, besides the Media and Fashion industries DistrictDirt mentioned, there are huge differences in, well, almost everything. Architecture, transportation, work ethic, scenery, personalities, and of course, weather.

That's not to say LA or New York is worse than the other. But the question was, which city was the closest to Manhattan style living? I think all of the ones in the poll can be legitimately considered, for various reasons, though none are quite similar.

You could add LA to that list as well, but the only similarity would be the presence of media and fashion (the first LA dominates by far and the latter NYC dominates by far). I would also say, outside of this, no real similarities besides both living in big cities.
Well, don't take too much importance away from your last sentence there.
It's a bit hard to explain, but I think that the biggest similarity between NYC & LA is that they feel like BIG cities. Cities where you can lose yourself and be anonymous in. No other city in the USA gives me that feeling outside of NY & LA.
They both share a bit of that "city of dreamers" buzz, where seemingly everyone you meet came specifically there, from somewhere else, to DO something. It's not just about "media" and "fashion", but both cities are huge magnets for creative and aspiring creative professionals. NY & LA are the leading contemporary arts scenes in the country, where LA legitimately rivals NYC, for example
In many such fields of interest & vocation, NY & LA are the only two obvious options in the USA for many folks who want to operate at the top level. That's all wrapped up in why they feel so similar to me, when it comes to lifestyle choices. Hope that makes sense.
Anyone's mileage may vary, of course.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,234,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

No, it tells us nothing.

Most movies are shot in the LA area, and Broadway in downtown LA has the most "older city" looking blocks anywhere in Southern CA, so obviously if they're doing any movie involving an older city and are doing it in LA, they're going to do it around Broadway.

But that doesn't mean that "downtown LA looks like NYC". LOL You might as well say "downtown LA looks like Detroit". It's used for any and all movies showing an older city-type landscape, bceause Southern CA doesn't really have anyplace else that looks like an older big city.

I was just watching the movie "Bird on a Wire", which is supposedly Detroit, yet it's clearly filmed in Vancouver. I guess that means that "Detroit looks like Vancouver"?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:32 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,631,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Well, don't take too much importance away from your last sentence there.
It's a bit hard to explain, but I think that the biggest similarity between NYC & LA is that they feel like BIG cities. Cities where you can lose yourself and be anonymous in. No other city in the USA gives me that feeling outside of NY & LA.
They both share a bit of that "city of dreamers" buzz, where seemingly everyone you meet came specifically there, from somewhere else, to DO something. It's not just about "media" and "fashion", but both cities are huge magnets for creative and aspiring creative professionals. NY & LA are the leading contemporary arts scenes in the country, where LA legitimately rivals NYC, for example
In many such fields of interest & vocation, NY & LA are the only two obvious options in the USA for many folks who want to operate at the top level. That's all wrapped up in why they feel so similar to me, when it comes to lifestyle choices. Hope that makes sense.
Anyone's mileage may vary, of course.
Nailed it. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City