Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City MOST like Los Angeles?
Austin 3 1.44%
Raleigh 2 0.96%
San Antonio 6 2.88%
Houston 83 39.90%
Dallas 18 8.65%
Denver 13 6.25%
Orlando 6 2.88%
Salt Lake City 2 0.96%
Oklahoma City 5 2.40%
Miami 70 33.65%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 02:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times

Advertisements

Atlanta they call Hotlanta the LA of the SOUTH with its hip hop culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 07:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Houston doesn't have any beaches either. Galveston does. And they're pretty nasty compared to L.A. beaches.
Harris County (Houston) touches the ocean.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...af5277b2bbd2da

I've seen some of Southern California's beaches...nothing to write home about in most cases. Florida's are far superior any way you dice it...the sand, the water, etc.

Nobody is saying Texas' beaches are a tropical paradise, but it is a beach none the less with an ocean view & awesome fresh caught seafood to boot.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-05-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 07:35 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

I've seen some of Southern California's beaches...nothing to write home about in most cases. Florida's are far superior any way you dice it.
if you prefer flat beaches over rugged coastlines and geographical diversity on the shore then yes FLA beaches beat SoCal beaches, oh and dont forget our sunsets.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
if you prefer flat beaches over rugged coastlines and geographical diversity on the shore then yes FLA beaches beat SoCal beaches, oh and dont forget our sunsets.
Huh?

Tampa & Panama City sunsets are the same thing only over crystal clear eastern Gulf water & pristine sugary white sand. The sand in LA's beaches is the same color as Texas' beaches. Only difference is California's water is a deeper blue where Texas' has a light-medium tan color because of the silt in the sand.

Too bad you need a wet suit most of the year in California where in Texas you can get by with swim trunks till late October, early November.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
Quote:
Huh?

Tampa & Panama City sunsets are the same thing only over crystal clear eastern Gulf water & pristine sugary white sand. The sand in LA's beaches is the same color as Texas' beaches. Only difference is California's water is a deeper blue where Texas' has a light-medium tan color because of the silt in the sand.

Too bad you need a wet suit most of the year in California where in Texas you can get by with swim trunks till late October, early November.
In the Keys you can see the sunrise and sunset on both sides of the ocean. Did you also know that in Fort Lauderdale you have Sunrise Boulevard just as LA has Sunset Boulevard.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:30 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,833 times
Quote:
Huh?

"huh"???

yeah you know, cliffs, tide pools, bays, hills fronting the ocean, thousand foot peaks next to beaches, coves, sea caves, rock forms, etc. things that Florida doesn't enjoy besides a flat topography.

for crystal clear we can go to Malibu Beach, or Laguna beach, dont worry.

its fine since our geography provides us with more leisures besides swimming in the ocean, these leisures include hiking, skiing in the 10,000 ft peaks in winter, dune bugging in the desert, SURFING, and much more than Florida only dreams about. and 70s water temps in summer are fine with no wetsuits.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 PM

389 posts, read 596,116 times
Florida definitely beats California in the beach department. That is not to say that California does not have other things to offer, but the beaches are simply not better. I'm a native Houstonian that never spent much time on Galveston beaches (we went to Galveston for the strand, seafood at Gaidos, and the Schlitterbahn). We went to Destin, Florida, several times and I fell in love with the white sand beaches.

My father is a native Angeleno, and that side of the family still lives in California (now they are mostly in Palm Springs and Orange County). When I first went to Long Beach (and later Newport Beach), I was so disappointed. I was expecting white sand like in Destin. But that wasn't even the issue. The issue was that the beaches are simply too cold for me, on the West Coast. Obviously millions of people live there and visit, so the water temperature is not a problem for everyone. But last week on Thanksgiving, I asked my cousin that lives in Orange County if she utilizes the beaches, and she said "No the ocean is too cold."

Old 12-05-2014, 10:48 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:

I've seen some of Southern California's beaches...nothing to write home about in most cases. Florida's are far superior any way you dice it...the sand, the water, etc.

Nobody is saying Texas' beaches are a tropical paradise, but it is a beach none the less with an ocean view & awesome fresh caught seafood to boot.
Houston is in Harris county, but much of Harris county isn't Houston. Just like L.A. (City) is only a fraction of L.A. County. I was referring to the city of Houston, not Harris county. Besides, the only saltwater Harris county touches at all is Galveston Bay... not the Gulf. The city-proper of Los Angeles actually touches the ocean. Not a single inch of Houston-proper touches either the Gulf or the Bay. It's just a whole different degree of "coastal" between these two cities.

And if Southern CA's beaches are "nothing to write home about", then that's really saying something awful about the beaches near Houston.

Sorry, I'm from Houston, but I'm not going to pretend those beaches aren't pretty um... unattractive.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Florida definitely beats California in the beach department. That is not to say that California does not have other things to offer, but the beaches are simply not better. I'm a native Houstonian that never spent much time on Galveston beaches (we went to Galveston for the strand, seafood at Gaidos, and the Schlitterbahn). We went to Destin, Florida, several times and I fell in love with the white sand beaches.
I know it's subjective, but I really feel the opposite way about CA vs FL beaches. The thing that puts Southern CA's beaches ahead for me is that they're the perfect balance of blue water, rugged coastal scenery, and (for me at least) refreshing water temps. The water in the Gulf of Mexico is just too warm in the summer. I found it really disgusting diving into lukewarm water when it's 95 degrees and 80% humid out. The colder water in the Pacific just feels much better on a hot day.

Also, I like to surf. The waves in Florida are just too small and choppy for my liking, unless there's a hurricane nearby offshore. Growing up in Houston, I learned how to surf on the Gulf coast, but once I finally got to surf places like Huntington Beach, Dana Point, San Onofre, Malibu, and Rincon I realized just what I had been missing. And there's just something so much nicer about riding a wave and being able to see hills and mountains ahead of me.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:20 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
I always thought it was pointless and strange to relax in warm water on a hot day. The Pacific water feels great on a hot day.

Speaking of California beach water, yes, it's cold, but it doesn't take long at all to adjust. The whining about the temperature is pretty ridiculous, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City