U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City MOST like Los Angeles?
Austin 3 1.52%
Raleigh 2 1.01%
San Antonio 6 3.03%
Houston 77 38.89%
Dallas 18 9.09%
Denver 13 6.57%
Orlando 6 3.03%
Salt Lake City 2 1.01%
Oklahoma City 5 2.53%
Miami 66 33.33%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:50 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,025,520 times

Advertisements

Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 06:32 AM

18,250 posts, read 25,960,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta.
What about it?

Old 11-05-2018, 01:17 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,818,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What about it?
This is exactly what they meant lol :

Old 11-05-2018, 05:12 PM

631 posts, read 187,562 times
Salt Lake City or Denver. Salt Lake City really felt just like California, just colder in the winter and more conservative (because of the Mormons). Otherwise, couldn't really tell the difference between Salt Lake City and San Bernardino/Riverside County suburbs of Los Angeles.

Houston, Orlando, and Miami are NOTHING like Los Angeles. I suspect many people who put Houston have never been to Houston and just assume, "well, it's in Texas, and all of Texas is desert, so it's got a dry climate just like Southern California."

News flash: Houston is Texas with Florida weather. Yes, you read that right. Hurricanes, humidity, thunderstorms, alligators, bayous, etc.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,614,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Salt Lake City or Denver. Salt Lake City really felt just like California, just colder in the winter and more conservative (because of the Mormons). Otherwise, couldn't really tell the difference between Salt Lake City and San Bernardino/Riverside County suburbs of Los Angeles.

Houston, Orlando, and Miami are NOTHING like Los Angeles. I suspect many people who put Houston have never been to Houston and just assume, "well, it's in Texas, and all of Texas is desert, so it's got a dry climate just like Southern California."

News flash: Houston is Texas with Florida weather. Yes, you read that right. Hurricanes, humidity, thunderstorms, alligators, bayous, etc.
For starters, Houston is very ethnically and culturally diverse. So much so that it won the "Most Diverse City in America" title last year. Lots of cuisines and mom-and-pop restaurants around Houston make it harder for out-of-town chains to establish locations here every year.

Houston also has a sprawly network of freeways that connect far-flung master-planned suburbs to the urban core. It's also along the coast with a subtropical warm climate. The culture is laid-back just like SoCal.

(BTW alligators are rare here compared to Florida. And Florida does not have bayous.)

Old 11-05-2018, 09:55 PM

144 posts, read 38,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Fair enough. I agree there really aren't many places in Phoenix like areas right on the coast in California. I think there are a ton of similarities between inland OC, the IE, and Palm Springs and Phoenix. I rarely encountered that many Texans in Phx until about 4 or 5 yrs ago during the housing crash. I'm sure they came out taking advantage of the depressed market and I would suspect they did the same in Vegas and the 909.
Midwesterners are all over the place you'll think Phoenix would have people a lot of people from TX and Ok being that there just a few states away. I guess people in the Bible Belt don't settle west of the Rio Grande.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:26 PM

631 posts, read 187,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
For starters, Houston is very ethnically and culturally diverse. So much so that it won the "Most Diverse City in America" title last year. Lots of cuisines and mom-and-pop restaurants around Houston make it harder for out-of-town chains to establish locations here every year.

Houston also has a sprawly network of freeways that connect far-flung master-planned suburbs to the urban core. It's also along the coast with a subtropical warm climate. The culture is laid-back just like SoCal.

(BTW alligators are rare here compared to Florida. And Florida does not have bayous.)
Florida does not have bayous? Hmmmm... I know it's the Panhandle, but still:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarkil...rve_State_Park

Although, to be fair, Houston does have chains from California like 99 Ranch (Chinese supermarket) and 85 Degrees C (actually from Taiwan, but opened first in the U.S. in California), and In-N-Out.

SoCal culture is laid back...that's debatable. It sure isn't laid back in Irvine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City