Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City MOST like Los Angeles?
Austin 3 1.44%
Raleigh 2 0.96%
San Antonio 6 2.88%
Houston 83 39.90%
Dallas 18 8.65%
Denver 13 6.25%
Orlando 6 2.88%
Salt Lake City 2 0.96%
Oklahoma City 5 2.40%
Miami 70 33.65%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I've heard a lot of people say this. I need to check out Oakland next time I'm in SF.
Like Nineties Flava said, there are some definite differences, but I agree East Bay is very similar to LA. Especially the parts to the south like San Leandro, Hayward, etc. They remind me a lot of South and Central LA, and parts of East LA. Basically dense, mostly-walkable commercial streets that are relatively car-accommodating (but not car-oriented) with lots of tightly packed SFH and duplexes on the residential streets.

My friends live in San Bruno on the Peninsula, it also has some shared characteristics with Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 01:22 PM

555 posts, read 861,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I heard the same thing. I'd love to visit Scottsdale--though I'd be more interested in the hiking around there than any fashion or nightlife.
Arizona is a hikers paradise! Some very diverse scenery to be experienced 'round these parts.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:34 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,075,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Arizona is a hikers paradise!

Except for the rattlesnakes, scorpions, and gila monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtEegCHTwx4

Old 08-20-2014, 03:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Except for the rattlesnakes, scorpions, and gila monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtEegCHTwx4
On the other hand, hiking in Los Angeles there's always a chance your pet could get eaten by coyotes or that you'll come face to face with a mountain lion.

Isn't he cute though? Just look at that big kitty!

Old 08-20-2014, 03:48 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,075,652 times
Quote:
On the other hand, hiking in Los Angeles there's always a chance your pet could get eaten by coyotes or that you'll come face to face with a mountain lion.

Yeah I guess you're right.....

USATODAY.com - Man killed by mountain lion; cyclists also attacked in California

Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Quote:

Exceedingly rare, mind you. Probably have a greater chance of getting struck by lightening in a thunderstorm in the northeast.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The East Bay feels the most similar to LA of anywhere I've seen, they're still different though.
I've always heard this also. I've always heard Oakland and the surrounding burbs felt alot like LA. Google mapping Oakland, I can definitely see the similarities. The hilly neighborhoods in the foothills of far east Oakland, like Millsmont. remind me of the foothills neighborhoods of East LA. Also neighborhoods in the Northern end of San Antonio like Highland Park, and Cleveland Heights, remind me of the foothill neighborhoods in LA areas like City Terrace/East LA, Northeast LA(which also has a Highland Park of it's own), Silver Lake, Edendale, etc. Maxwell Park also reminds me of Baldwin Hills/Windsor Hills/Ladera Heights, etc.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
San Diego as a whole is nothing like L.A., yet if you selectively pick and choose specific neighborhoods and geographic areas you can weave a San Diego out of L.A.; and that would be primarily some of its best parts. San Diego is bunched up against hills, canyons, beaches and cliffs against the ocean and the city itself directly on the bay, so it represents a much more bunched up version of L.A., closer to the hills and ocean, much less soulless sprawl. The downtown is very compact and vibrant and the surrounding neighborhoods, while not quite as cool as Silverlake, Echo Park, and WeHo, we do still have some very hip urban neighborhoods in like minded canyons and hills, South Park, North Park and Hillcrest. We don't have have Venice Beach to be sure but Mission Beach, Ocean Beach and a Pacific Beach approximate a crazy beach culture as much as anywhere.

And culturally it is not near as conservative as some people are portraying, both the city and now county trend blue, with a few conservative holdouts, and there is more than enough cultural amenities to keep just about any urbanite, if they are the least bit adventurous, interested.

The fact that I love L.A., or to be honest as with every city, slices of it, means that I cannot in my mind find a city that really is exceedingly similar, maybe Mexico City and I've never been, but the vastness of both, the geographical and cultural context that they both find themselves in seems like it might be the actual closest.

Last edited by T. Damon; 08-20-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
San Diego as a whole is nothing like L.A., yet if you selectively pick and choose specific neighborhoods and geographic areas you can weave a San Diego out of L.A.; and that would be primarily some of its best parts. San Diego is bunched up against hills, canyons, beaches and cliffs against the ocean and the city itself directly on the bay, so it represents a much more bunched up version of L.A., closer to the hills and ocean, much less soulless sprawl. The downtown is very compact and vibrant and the surrounding neighborhoods, while not quite as cool as Silverlake, Echo Park, and WeHo, we do still have some very hip urban neighborhoods in like minded canyons and hills, South Park, North Park and Hillcrest. We don't have have Venice Beach to be sure but Mission Beach, Ocean Beach and a Pacific Beach approximate a crazy beach culture as much as anywhere.

And culturally it is not near as conservative as some people are portraying, both the city and now county trend blue, with a few conservative holdouts, and there is more than enough cultural amenities to keep just about any urbanite, if they are the least bit adventurous, interested.

The fact that I love L.A., or to be honest as with every city, slices of it, means that I cannot in my mind find a city that really is exceedingly similar, maybe Mexico City and I've never been, but the vastness of both, the geographical and cultural context that they both find themselves in seems like it might be the actual closest.
Everything you said of SD, is basically what I thought of SD, from the outside looking in.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
On that list? Miami. But I have to wonder, why in the flying monkey taint wasnt Phoenix included on that poll? Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City