Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Foodie City In America
New York City 56 33.94%
New Orleans 10 6.06%
San Francisco 23 13.94%
Chicago 29 17.58%
Boston 2 1.21%
Los Angeles 19 11.52%
New Haven 2 1.21%
Other 24 14.55%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,581,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Just to throw this out there, I would say Southwestern Louisiana and South Louisiana outside NO has better Cajun food and also more known. Could be wrong.
Best Cajun food I ever ate was in Lafayette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,636,271 times
Quote:
Just to throw this out there, I would say Southwestern Louisiana and South Louisiana outside NO has better Cajun food and also more known. Could be wrong.
Yes, indeed. Correct you are. Someone mentioned Lafayette - only driven through but while I did someone I was with from NOLA educated me on cajun culture, where Lafayette is the hub. But still, I would presume and feel like I have experienced better cajun cooking in nearby NOLA than other major cities in this country.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:27 AM

20,510 posts, read 33,424,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Yes, indeed. Correct you are. Someone mentioned Lafayette - only driven through but while I did someone I was with from NOLA educated me on cajun culture, where Lafayette is the hub. But still, I would presume and feel like I have experienced better cajun cooking in nearby NOLA than other major cities in this country.
Understandable. It's easier to say New Orleans than say Lafayette.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:51 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,763,020 times
The best Cajun will be in the country not the city.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,791,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I always see the top three listed as NYC, San Fran and Chicago with New Orleans up there as well.
I also think LA of today has to be in the mix

Houston and Philly are actually two vastly under rated cities for food

Boston while good to me isnt among the tops and DC while getting better still seems like it hasnt developed its own vibe and has too many safe places

NOLA to me is hard because it does what it does well so well, but not as diverse (yet I will never complain on eating there)

Miami is probably the one large city I don't feel I never got a handle on and yet to be impressed but think

Old 08-23-2014, 08:12 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,763,020 times
Speaking of Houston, it recently opened the very first US location of Il Mascalzone which is an authentic Italian pizza chain previously doing business in London. The owner is from Pesaro and plans to open another location in the city as well as in Miami.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,791,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Speaking of Houston, it recently opened the very first US location of Il Mascalzone which is an authentic Italian pizza chain previously doing business in London. The owner is from Pesaro and plans to open another location in the city as well as in Miami.
interesting

I am actually looking forward to Big Gay Ice Cream from NYC opening here - selfishly because its all fro yo and gelato in my hood so a welcome addition a few blocks away. Which while not Italy Philly may actually have the best gelato in the US - still gelato here is just never as good as seemingly every corner in italy

Little Baby's not crying over Big Gay addition to Philadelphia ice cream scene

Old 08-23-2014, 09:26 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,637,163 times
Since cajun food and Los Angeles have been mentioned in this thread, I'm going to shamelessly plug my friend's New Orleans style deli and grocer that just opened here in Downtown LA, the Little Jewel of New Orleans. You LA forumers should definitely check it out...Markus can cook his ass off.

Website launches in a couple days (I'm still working on it) but here's a few other links:

https://www.facebook.com/littlejewelofneworleans

New Orleans deli and grocer Little Jewel opens in Chinatown - LA Times

Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,193,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl33cat View Post
Im pretty sure Philly is number one, you know why?

Philly is the only city where tourist and foodies actually go there for the food [Mainly Cheesesteaks]. (Minus all the five-four star restaurants and culture food it has [Water Ice, Scrapple, Pretzels, Cheesescake]

Everywhere else, people just go to the city first then find out about the food later on like going to Chicago..."I'm going to Chicago" -goes to chicago- "Oh wait, I heard about that Deep Dish pizza! Lets try it out"

"I'm going to Philly, I want a cheesesteak" -goes to philly- "Which one, Pat’s King of Steaks or Jim's Steaks??"

If you think this is wrong, tell me a city where tourist/people actually go there mainly for the food?
How high are you right now?
Quote:
You are not wrong at all. Spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
This man below has it right, you probably didn't have Cajun, or you did, doesn't matter. But the best will come from a old man with 6 teeth who lives next to a bayou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
The best Cajun will be in the country not the city.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,983,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Since cajun food and Los Angeles have been mentioned in this thread, I'm going to shamelessly plug my friend's New Orleans style deli and grocer that just opened here in Downtown LA, the Little Jewel of New Orleans. You LA forumers should definitely check it out...Markus can cook his ass off.

Website launches in a couple days (I'm still working on it) but here's a few other links:

https://www.facebook.com/littlejewelofneworleans

New Orleans deli and grocer Little Jewel opens in Chinatown - LA Times

Sounds great....The fact that DTLA has gone from food dessert to food mecca in less than 10 years is ASTOUNDING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City