Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For each group of neigboring cities, which one of the two do you prefer?
I'd take San Francisco over Oakland 44 58.67%
I'd take Oakland over San Francisco 8 10.67%
I'd take Dallas over Fort Worth 33 44.00%
I'd take Fort Worth over Dallas 16 21.33%
I'd take Raleigh over Durham 31 41.33%
I'd take Durham over Raleigh 13 17.33%
I'd take Miami over Fort Lauderdale 30 40.00%
I'd take Fort Lauderdale over Miami 18 24.00%
I'd take Greensboro over Winston-Salem 16 21.33%
I'd take Winston-Salem over Greensboro 12 16.00%
I'd take Tampa over St. Petersburg 22 29.33%
I'd take St. Petersburg over Tampa 18 24.00%
I'd take Newark over Jersey City 7 9.33%
I'd take Jersey City over Newark 30 40.00%
I'd take Seattle over Tacoma 44 58.67%
I'd take Tacoma over Seattle 6 8.00%
I'd take San Diego over Tijuana 42 56.00%
I'd take Tijuana over San Diego 3 4.00%
I'd take Minneapolis over St. Paul 42 56.00%
I'd take St. Paul over Minneapolis 7 9.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:13 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times

Advertisements

For each group of neighbor cities, which one of the two do you prefer in terms of amenities, people, transit, location, downtown, neighborhoods, schools, things to do, CoL, jobs, local government, etc. etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Miami over Fort Lauderdale, Dallas over Fort Worth, San Francisco over Oakland, and San Diego over Tijuana.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-20-2014 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Two decisions I have already made: 1) Raleigh over Durham and 2) Miami over Ft Lauderdale.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:25 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I chose....

San Francisco - well if I had to choose, I appreciate the views more on the SF side of the Bay and I like the iconic neighborhoods of SF.

Fort Worth - friendlier than Dallas with more charm and a better downtown.

Raleigh - Raleigh has les riff-raff than Durham though they both have good and bad parts. Neither one is a bad option, I like the Duke campus area more than NC State. Durham has more grit and overall Raleigh is a bit nicer.

Fort Lauderdale - Miami is a bit much for me to deal with, I like the beach and canals in Fort Lauderdale.

St. Petersburg - closer to the beach.

Seattle - Tacoma has made big strides but that ugly industrial port area looms really large over the city. Seattle is much more attractive and fun, and Tacoma will always be its whipping boy.

Jersey City - closer to Manhattan and more gentrification.

San Diego - Oh come on, Tijuana? Really?

Minneapolis - probably a lot more to do and a bit more eclectic.

Cool thread. I'm indifferent on Greensboro vs Winston-Salem. You could have also added Detroit vs Windsor, ON or Phoenix vs Scottsdale.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-20-2014 at 10:46 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
No Norfolk and Virginia Beach? DC and Baltimore? El Paso and Juarez?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:14 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Tijauna over San Diego really? lol We can't do like LA or something?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:22 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
SF over Oakland
Dallas over Ft. Worth
Durham over Raleigh
Miami over Ft. Lauderdale
St. Pete over Tampa
JC over Newark
Seattle over Tacoma
SD over Tijuana

The others I dont have any or enough experience with to comment. Cool thread.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 AM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I'll take San Diego over Tijuana.

Yeah, something like that.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 AM

305 posts, read 416,501 times
-SF or Oakland isnt even debatable, unless money is a factor, so unless im struggling or have to move out there on a whim, SF. Heard it was pretty cool from a friend of mines, he came here cause it was too expensive though.. The hipsters, silver spoon yuppies and smog might get a bit annoying, but those raiders fan are even worse for your health ya know

-Fort Worth > Dallas, Dallas' traffic is a no no, and I cant stand their sports teams, especially the Cowboys and their fans, not today, not tomorrow, not ever. And it's safer and less crowded. FW.

-Raleigh=Durham, don't know much about those, I just know Duke is in Durham and its quieter and Raleigh is apparently underrated, so I'll just go with Raleigh, wouldn't mind either though, wouldnt mind catching a game of the Blue Devils destroying a fellow ACC team on the court.

-FL>Miami, Lol Miami, the drivers alone will kill you. No seriously, the drivers WILL kill you, not just CAN kill you, they WILL. As in, you either have to get out the way in Miami, or just get hit on the weekends, and they won't slow down, I am not joking. And I hate the Bandwagon heat fans. And the job economy is terrible, srsly.

^Other side turning on a green light, madness

^Typical hostile, petty Miami driver, and she starts recording, lmao

-Greensboro/Winston-Salem, don't know enough about them

-St.Petersburg>Tampa, I've heard stories from my Floridan friends about Trampa... I'll go with the latter.. Hey, atleast they have a NHL team.

-Jersey City> Newark, unless Jersey City is worse than Newark, which I highly, highly doubt, Im going with Jersey City, Newark is just.. God... my good friend is from there and I'd have to see the stuff he has told me about that place to believe it.

-Seattle>Tacoma, Seattle, CD's most favorite city for like two years straight now, and of course, for the MLS team and the national champs , paired wit hthe booming techj industry AKA good job economy and awesome visuals, despite the terrible gray skies, rain-all-year and Seattle freeze introverts is much better than Tacoma IMO

-San Diego>Tijuana, Tijuwhat? I just know SD is famed for its awesome weather and I really have never heard anything bad about SD. And once again, assuming money isnt a factor in this question, defitely SD. And they have the chargers atleast, surely isnt a BAD team. I hear women go crazy fo all the military guys over there though (Huge navy base or something there), would be hard to get a date...

-Minneapolis>SP, I only knew one guy from St.Paul. I don't know much about it, MN in general is way too non-diverse and cold for my tastes (was colder than alaska last winter..), but they have a NHL team, the Vikings arent TOO bad, well they arent as far as I know. Hoping the "Minnesota nice" is true, wouldnt mind Mini appleis.

Last edited by Black_Sheep3; 08-21-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times
Looks like the C-D race for Winston-Salen vs Greensboro is pretty close. Same with Miami vs FL, Dallas vs FW and Tampa vs St. Pete. I was sort of expecting Minneapolis vs SP and Raleigh vs Durham to be closer match ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No Norfolk and Virginia Beach? DC and Baltimore? El Paso and Juarez?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
You could have also added Detroit vs Windsor, ON or Phoenix vs Scottsdale.
I know there are more cities that could've been listed. Akron and Cleveland might've also been a good one. I (or maybe someone else) will consider these in a future poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City