Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Richmond VA 152 54.29%
Raleigh NC 128 45.71%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 AM

489 posts, read 905,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I've given you stats that clearly show Arlington is a lot more dense than Raleigh yet you're still trying to convince yourself they're not.

No, Arlington isn't a big office park with apartment towers. It's like a small city, with high rises because of the DC height limit, retail, restaurants, lounges, bars, etc. People work, play and live in Arlington. That's not really the case for Tysons as of 2015. You clearly don't know what you're talking about or you're just very in-denial. Look the density stats I provided and they're very different as you can see. The triangle in general isn't as dense as NoVa.
Because comparing density of an area that is 120 square miles less than another is an even comparison...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:03 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,335,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Because comparing density of an area that is 120 square miles less than another is an even comparison...
Yes it is. It still doesn't make a difference that Raleigh is still less developed. The fact that Arlington isn't even a city, it's a county and its a suburb of a major city but can compete with Raleigh in many factors such as density speaks volumes. Raleigh is the premier city besides Charlotte but is still very sprawled and less developed. Being 120 square miles less doesn't make a difference, Philly is a lot bigger than DC but is obviously more dense. It's the other way around for other cities as well.

NoVa is more dense than the Research Triangle. I didn't even know this was debatable LOL

Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,952,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
'ugly Raleigh'
https://twitter.com/liftaerial/statu...478017/photo/1

It's true that Richmond has a great stock of historic row houses though. Raleigh has historic neighborhoods but nothing quite as grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions
No, Arlington isn't a big office park with apartment towers. It's like a small city, with high rises because of the DC height limit, retail, restaurants, lounges, bars, etc. People work, play and live in Arlington. That's not really the case for Tysons as of 2015. You clearly don't know what you're talking about or you're just very in-denial. Look the density stats I provided and they're very different as you can see. The triangle in general isn't as dense as NoVa.
Well, there is a difference between urbanity and vertical sprawl. When it's all finished Dubai could be more dense than Paris, but the latter is a real city with living, breathing streets, and the former is a car dependent wasteland. A suburb full of skyscrapers.

Arlington has some character to it, and it represents to some extent what the Triangle can expect in the future when it gets a rail system of its own. But I've been to Rosslyn and Ballston and some of the other 'nodes' in NOVA. Those seemed very office parkish. None of it had the street level activity or funkyness that downtown Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill have. There was some culture... it wasn't Dubai for sure, but I think you're being wholly disingenuous claiming these places have more urban character than Raleigh just by posting the skylines. NOVA still feels very suburban and very auxiliary to Washington itself, which is not in Virginia.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,952,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Arlington
• Density 8,309/sq mi (3,208/km²)

Raleigh
• Density 3,023.4/sq mi (1,170.04/km2)

And let's not even get started on Durham. Arlington isn't a big office park, it's clear you've never been there. As for Tyson's yes it is but with the silver line and new future plans it won't be. The research triangle along with Raleigh is sparse and sprawled. They are nothing alike.
Just want to touch on this one slightly more...

Note that Raleigh's downtown density is 6000/sq mi. While that is still lower, it's not the lightyears difference that you're portraying. It's not as if the whole of the Triangle is sprawl, as you seem to be portraying. That's pretty good actually for a southern city that developed mostly in the past 50 years, without the help of a major employment center out of state to supercharge its economy.

But I find this curious because this is a thread about Raleigh vs Richmond, and Richmond's own 3400/sq mi density has been conveniently overlooked.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
'ugly Raleigh'
https://twitter.com/liftaerial/statu...478017/photo/1

It's true that Richmond has a great stock of historic row houses though. Raleigh has historic neighborhoods but nothing quite as grand.

Well, there is a difference between urbanity and vertical sprawl. When it's all finished Dubai could be more dense than Paris, but the latter is a real city with living, breathing streets, and the former is a car dependent wasteland. A suburb full of skyscrapers.

Arlington has some character to it, and it represents to some extent what the Triangle can expect in the future when it gets a rail system of its own. But I've been to Rosslyn and Ballston and some of the other 'nodes' in NOVA. Those seemed very office parkish. None of it had the street level activity or funkyness that downtown Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill have. There was some culture... it wasn't Dubai for sure, but I think you're being wholly disingenuous claiming these places have more urban character than Raleigh just by posting the skylines. NOVA still feels very suburban and very auxiliary to Washington itself, which is not in Virginia.
Of course NOVA feels suburban towards Washington. NOVA is a suburb, and Washington is not. Raleigh is not a suburb but that fact that places in NoVa can go head to head with Raleigh when it comes to density speaks volumes itself. Also, I said that the NoVa region is more dense than the triangle which is true. And what in the heck are you talking about? I never said these places had more urban character nor did I post any pics of skylines. You ok?

Old 01-26-2015, 01:55 PM

39 posts, read 40,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Guess again. And I don't live in NC, but I do have to go to DC & NoVa regularly for business.

The stereotype is sadly real. I have witnessed so many public meltdowns by these types, I've lost count. I have experienced some of the absolutely rudest behavior of anywhere I've ever been in this region, including being cussed at for holding a door open for someone.

You can have it, and all of my neighbors from the area are grateful they got out.
You do understand the Northern Virginia realty market is one of the best in the nation right now, right? Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone has, which is why is is among the fastest growing regions in America. I am sorry that that you had a bad experience, but to say all 3 million people who live there are all rude & mean is very judgmental of you

Old 01-26-2015, 01:57 PM

39 posts, read 40,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Just want to touch on this one slightly more...

Note that Raleigh's downtown density is 6000/sq mi. While that is still lower, it's not the lightyears difference that you're portraying. It's not as if the whole of the Triangle is sprawl, as you seem to be portraying. That's pretty good actually for a southern city that developed mostly in the past 50 years, without the help of a major employment center out of state to supercharge its economy.

But I find this curious because this is a thread about Raleigh vs Richmond, and Richmond's own 3400/sq mi density has been conveniently overlooked.
The topic has moved on from Richmond vs Raleigh to NoVa vs Raleigh because it was determined through stats & the poll that Richmond won that fight. To have a better topic, the city of Raleigh is going up against the Virginia suburbs of Washington. The fact that the suburbs of Washington are going up against the city of Raleigh, & still seem to be winning, says a lot

Old 01-26-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyG1996 View Post
The topic has moved on from Richmond vs Raleigh to NoVa vs Raleigh because it was determined through stats & the poll that Richmond won that fight. To have a better topic, the city of Raleigh is going up against the Virginia suburbs of Washington. The fact that the suburbs of Washington are going up against the city of Raleigh, & still seem to be winning, says a lot
Eh. I feel like a poll would be better, maybe someone should start a Northern VA vs. Triangle thread

Also using some criteria as well.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:08 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,826,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyG1996 View Post
You do understand the Northern Virginia realty market is one of the best in the nation right now, right? Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone has, which is why is is among the fastest growing regions in America. I am sorry that that you had a bad experience, but to say all 3 million people who live there are all rude & mean is very judgmental of you
Good for NoVa.

There are some nice people there, as there are anywhere.

Perhaps you have become numb to it by living there, but it was way more than a single bad experience. It has been many, over many years.

There is a rudeness and superficiality to the culture that totally turns me off, sorry.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Good for NoVa.

There are some nice people there, as there are anywhere.

Perhaps you have become numb to it by living there, but it was way more than a single bad experience. It has been many, over many years.

There is a rudeness and superficiality to the culture that totally turns me off, sorry.
There are rude people everywhere. I think you're over exaggerating a bit, but yes NoVa doesn't have southern hospitality or that laid back west coast feel. Since I went to college in Boston and lived there for awhile, I don't think NoVa is that bad. Maybe it depends where you were at?

Maybe you were in Fairfax county, cause yes you have a lot of entitled yuppies. Or were you in Middleburg with the snobby old money types? I would suggest the next time you come go out into Fredericksburg or areas of Stafford. Also, western Loudoun it will definitely change your view! When I lived in Northern NJ and was in NYC a lot because of work I thought all New Yorkers were rude which is really not the case. Met some really down to earth people in Queens and Staten Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City