Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:03 AM

164 posts, read 170,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Well, this settles all city vs city arguments...

In all seriousness, very interesting report. Gives perspective that "second tier" U.S. cities, for lack of a better term, rank/score higher than other countries' primate cities.

No Philadelphia on here sucks, though.
None of the CD favorites made it.

Where is Seattle, Austin, Portland, Asheville????? Let alone PHILLY. Do they not read this forum? Where are the super kewl hipster cities!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
None of the CD favorites made it.

Where is Seattle, Austin, Portland, Asheville????? Let alone PHILLY. Do they not read this forum? Where are the super kewl hipster cities!?!
1. This is just one of many different rankings that claims to be the ultimate authority-yawns.

2. Usually the cities you listed usually make these kinds of rankings.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
1. This is just one of many different rankings that claims to be the ultimate authority-yawns.

I've never seen any type of Global City ranking that included Austin or Portland.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:27 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,158 times
Quote:

No they don't...

Old 08-24-2014, 11:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,495 times
Philadelphia is a huge oversight, though, given its GDP.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:

and if SF were ranked higher would you yawn?

at least you are predictable. Where SF does well scream to world where it may have dropped yawn

Either way it a very respectable score for SF. Honestly with many of these I dont alway understand - they apply quantitative metrics and score. To me SF seem odd dropping as the city may be as strong and have as much momentum as any and definitely as much it has ever had itself.

Personally I am curious where Philly would have ranked if evaluated but will never know unless they add it. seems like if could have at least broken through the top 84

for other cities like Seattle, imagine it would rank as well, larger GDP than probably 60% at least of these cities and very innovative in its economy - Seattle is actually catching places like Miami and Atlanta in GDP output. American cities do well and are economic monsters in the relative sense

Old 08-24-2014, 01:10 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times
Is it the airport that gets Atlanta the high marks? I think it should be replaced with Philly which I think suffers from being in New York's shadow.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Is it the airport that gets Atlanta the high marks? I think it should be replaced with Philly.
The airport, plus things like
  • a large, educated workforce
  • world class colleges and universities (Emory, Georgia Tech, the HBCs)
  • the CDC
  • relatively high concentration of corporate headquarters
  • seventh highest concentration of diplomatic missions in the U.S. (26)
  • professional resident companies in each major performing arts discipline
  • host of a summer Olympics
  • major tourist/convention destination
Since they're measuring business activity, human capital, information exchange, cultural experience, and political engagement, all of these things matter and Atlanta deserves its ranking. Philadelphia's lack of inclusion on this list is a huge oversight, however.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,953,673 times
I spent some time overseas this summer, honestly, I actually do try to get inputs from people abroad on what direction they think America is going in and if they could see themselves living there one day and in every country where I've talked to people about this, there's always someone that says America is failing, is a failure, is corrupt, is broke, is going down. Almost always things like that.

With more cities consistently ranked on every single relevant ranking or study on Earth by minds that are "authorized" and "informed" to do such research, the United States is fortunate to have this sort of polarization. To put it this way, there's a major regional center with staggering affluence (by world standards) in every pocket or corner of the country (save for the northern Great Plains).

Look at a place like France. There is Paris, and then what? Every other city is a lightweight, fun places to see and vacation but not all that powerful. I'm just saying.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-24-2014 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
No they don't...
Sorry, thats what I meant. Those cities usually do NOT make these kinds of rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City